Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question concerning a GPS flying an RNAV (LPV) app
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question concerning a GPS flying an RNAV (LPV) app

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcarlowise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question concerning a GPS flying an RNAV (LPV) app
    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:03pm
I have the Avidyne IFD440 with an STEC60-2 Autopilot. Let's say I have my FMS programmed KERV (Kerrville) to SHEOL (IAP for the RNAV34 at KCVB (Castroville)) then KCVB. Coming from the north of Castroville requires the hold in lieu of procedure turn. When I take off from KERV and engage the Autopilot, I engage NAV mode and it flies to Sheol with no issues. Upon reaching Sheol, the Avidyne tells me Parallel entry to the hold but the Autopilot then begins a 180 degree turn back towards the FAF instead of performing the hold in lieu of procedure turn. I'm trying to figure out why it would do that. Does anyone have any insight? I find myself having to switch to HDG mode on the Autopilot (at Sheol) and using the heading bug to fly the course reversal.........and then once established on the FAC, going back to NAV mode so that the AP will go to Appr mode and capture the glidepath.

I have a Sandel SN-3500 EHSI
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:21pm
perhaps I’m wrong, but it appears that you do not have the GPSS module for your autopilot.  In order to perform holds and procedure turns you need the GPS, otherwise, you have to utilize both HDG and NAV while manipulating both the heading bug and the course pointer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic