Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avidyne, why paint us into a corner...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avidyne, why paint us into a corner...
    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 7:36pm
Yes, this will be a Rant of sorts.  feel free to move on...
yes, I see the dust forming, from the wagons being circled.  Let's clear this up, I am an IFD 440 owner too.

That said, after reading recently the thread re IFD and Gi275 nav source, and seeing the underlying reason was the STC issue, I became quite distraught.  Reason being, because this is EXACTLY what I had installed on my Aerostar.  More on that in a minute.

But, what upset me more at that time, was Avidyne Steve Lindsley's (AviSteve) response to the concerns.  I could practically hear him yawning when he said, Oh we update our STC's from time to time, like no big deal.

needless to say, I immediately called the Avionics folks that were installing my Dual GI-275 Adhars+AP setup with my IFD440.

Talking with the Avionics guy, he said when he has issues like this, he calls his FAA guy at the FSDO. 
He explained the STC installation stuff. The conversation went something like this:

Is the GI275 STC'd with the GNS430W?..YES
IS the IFD a STC slide in replacement for the GNS 430W?..YES
IS the IFD STC for KFC 200 A/P/..YES
IS the GI275 STC with KFC200 A/P..YES
Is GI275 STC to replace analog King ADI/HSI...YES

OK, heard enough. Your good to go.   This was from a FAA guy.

Now to the paint in corner.....Again, based on the Avidyne seemingly lackadaisical response, re STC;
what options does the GA pilot have.

OK show of hands who can tell me the Avidyne equivalent product of the Garmin G500/600,GI275, etc.
Thought so...there is none!
And yet when we want to update our aging analog stuff and own the IFD, we are somewhat limited, to some of the most expensive stuff, because that is on the STC.  I'm not sure about the G5 now, it's been a few years, so perhaps Avidyne added it to the STC Installation manual.

However, the GI-275 has been out over a year, superior product to the G5 IMHO...and no STC addition from Avidyne! Believe me, if Avidyne offered the equivalent PFD etal I would get that instead.
As like the GArmin setups, it would just work.  We don't have that option now.

I have some friends that are wanting to upgrade their avionics. I am always raving about my IFD. But you know what, after they do some research, the end up all Garmin. I ask why. Typically they respond the shop doesn't like to work with Avidyne, and the Gamin stuff just works and is all STC'd.

I wonder how many sales Avidyne has lost, due to this STC stuff.  Yes, I understand it costs money. I installed some intercoolers on my Aerostar, the STC document cost more than the intercoolers!

I get it. But how much money are you saving, when you loose sales and customers. Let's say several have installed the GI-275, want an IFD due to it's superior features.  Sorry no can do, Avidyne hasn't updated their STC installation for the GI-275.  For a couple thousand more, we can install a Garmin for ya.

My install is done. Is it working properly, not at this time. I have some issues. Could just be simply operator error.

Hopefully, maybe some of the info above will help others at the Avionics shop.
Hopefully, this will also spark some interest to let Avidyne know we would appreciate the STC sooner than later on the GI-275 IFD Nav Source.

Rant Over.   
Fly Safe
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:48am
Completely understand your viewpoint.  The G5 is in the IFD STC.  There are some shops like yours that have a good relationship with their local FSDO and are willing to support installs like yours.  I've done the same with the GFC500.  Would rather have a DFC90, but...Would rather have a PFD4000 over the G5s, but...
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:24pm
Thanks Gring, much appreciated.
David
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:15pm
I just had this same conversation with Avidyne and Garmin at Sun N Fun. It is VERY frustrating but I blame Garmin equal to if not more than Avidyne. It was explained to me that even if I install it and it works it may not work ok tomorrow. Like I said, VERY frustrating and it has made me delay the GI275AI install. 

I heard some exciting news though... Avidyne will have a major new product introduced at OshKosh!! I am hopeful that this will give us an Avidyne option for the GI275AI. Don’t know any specifics , just hopeful!

Edited by 310pilot - 18 Apr 2021 at 9:16pm
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:19pm
Me too 310pilot

This "My daddy can beat up your daddy" stuff certainly doesn't help the GA folks

David
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:06am
The FAA should share some of the blame as well.

I contacted a highly recommended local avionics shop about a dual GI-275 installation to go with my IFD 540 and Century III autopilot.

I was told that their FSDO would insist on a field approval and that the FSDO was too busy to do field approvals.

I was also told that the shop was CONFIDENT that the GI-275’s would work just fine with my IFD 540 and Century III.

Compatibility with equipment from other manufacturers is one of the factors that drove my decision to purchase the IFD 540. I don’t know how hard it is for Avidyne to get this combination added to their STC but it is very desirable.

I can’t even consider a G5 unless I want to purchase a new autopilot. Same issue with the G500TXi.

So I’m on hold which is unfortunate.
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:34pm
Considering how long the 10.3 software has been “coming,” I wouldn’t hold my breath for an exciting new product coming to OshKosh unless you are talking about 2024 (or later)!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic