Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - IFD 540 Integration with Bendix King AeroCruze 100
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 Integration with Bendix King AeroCruze 100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 Integration with Bendix King AeroCruze 100
    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 1:46pm
I'm considering upgrading my autopilot to the Bendix King AeroCruze 100 (formerly Tru Trak). My understanding is that the AeroCruze will not track analog sources such as an ILS VOR. My question is this:

If I'm doing an ILS approach into an airport, and have programed the IFD 540 GPS to do that approach, is the IFD feeding analog data to the autopilot, or is the analog data being converted by the IFD to digital, and the digital data is being fed to the autopilot?

Thanks!
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:44am
I believe that the TruTrak GPS works strictly on GPSS (GPS Steering) and it is not following the left/right of the CDI needle, nor the up/down of the Glide Slope which is needed in order to fly and ILS.

I believe (and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong) you are limited to GPS type approaches or an approach with a GPS overlay.  GPSS output will also include vertical guidance as well which will allow LNAV/VNAV or LPV approaches.  The autopilot I'm sure will have a minimum altitude it can be used down to, probably something like 500AGL.

For normal onroute operations the TruTrak is probably sufficient for everything but for approaches make sure you understand the limitations.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:49am
That's my understanding too .... TruTrak is limited to use with GPS whether it be enroute or approaches. VOR/ILS/LOC approaches need to be flown manually.
Vince
Tommylewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommylewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:27pm
That may be true for some TruTrak models, but the Trutrak Digiflight II VS model which I installed in my RV7a 14 years ago and also installed in my RV10 10 years ago both initially with a Garmin 530 which was later upgraded to an IFD 540 can very accurately track an ILS, VOR or GPS approach with vertical for ILS and GPS.

Tom Lewis
RV7a & RV10
Granbury, TX
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 2:16pm
Are you sure that it wasn't a Digiflight 200VS? TruTrak's original full-featured autopilots were the DFC line ... DFC-200, DFC-250, DFC-300. The operating and installation manuals for the Digiflight IIVS don't seem to make any allowance for analog signal tracking which is needed for VOR/ILS/LOC.

I'm 99.999% sure that the current TT line (now Aero-Cruz 100 or xCruz 100 for experimental) are purely digital and GPS-only for tracking. The Aero-Cruz 230 is full-feature and form-fit replacement for the KFC-150 and 200. But I don't believe that originated with TT.

Vince
Tommylewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommylewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:31pm
YES, I am absolutely sure the Trutrak autopilots I have are Digiflight II VSGV.  I found a service packing list from 2016 when I had the display replaced and new software installed that has that product part number.  The only wiring connections are ARINC A & B and a serial input.  Trust me, it does an ILS very well.

Tom Lewis
RV7a & RV10
Granbury, TX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic