Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.3 betting pool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10.3 betting pool
    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 12:20pm
On February 5, 2021, whoever moderates the official Avidyne group on Facebook said this:

10.3 which is a major update will be releasing in a few months. We've taken alot of feedback we gathered here and on AviLive. You'll be pleased.

daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 2:41pm
Looking forward to it.  Maybe we’ll get a new MFD at the same time.... 🤞
------------
dave
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:01pm
I'm not expecting it this year, although wonders can happen. The IFD is a good product with a very nice user interface, but has lost its feature lead on the competition and is now playing catch-up.

The focus seems to be on higher end gear (business aviation and heli's). The unit prices for that are higher as are likely the margins too. There hasn't been anything but fix releases for the IFD line for several years now and nothing new for the AXP or DFC either.

Dreaming for an MFD is just that. That would seem to be confirmed by the disappearance of the EXP's from their product line. The competition in that space is already heavy with Aspen and Dynon filling the lower end and G* covering the rest.
Vince
daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:05am
Avidyne has made a couple oblique references to a replacement MFD so I still hold out a glimmer of hope.  My MFD running 8.2.2 is running well and is adequate for the my usage so I'm not in a huge rush -- although I'd be #1 in line if a drop-in replacement was available.

I fly a Cirrus so am somewhat familiar with an MFD replacement need.  I'd estimate there are 4000 Cirri with 15+ year-old MFDs.  Assuming $5K for an upgrade yields a $20M market.  I'd think that would hold some sway for Avidyne.

As I'm in a guessing mood....the IFD100 app is relatively close to the navigation part of an MFD.  Preload some checklists, add EMAX-type monitoring, find a suitable hardware platform and it's ready to go.

Of course, several in the Cirrus community are simply professionally mounting iPads running Foreflight with Guardian mounts and installing BlueMax for engine monitoring.  Only possible for planes where the MFD is not the primary for engine monitoring.  This whole setup can be funded by selling the old MFD.

I prefer aviation-dedicated hardware for permanent installation but this is my backup plan if/when my 19 year old MFD no longer works for me (or breaks).

------------
dave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic