Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No activate approach on Foreflight uploads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No activate approach on Foreflight uploads
    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 5:39pm
Kentucky Captain posted this in a different thread and I couldn't move it, so I copied it here...

Originally posted by Kentucky Captain Kentucky Captain wrote:

Did you ever arrive at a fix for the approaches not being available on a flight plan that was transferred from Foreflight?

I don't understand what the difference would be between loading the destination in the IFD as opposed to uploading it from Foreflight.  It's only when you load the flight plan from Foreflight that you lose the ability to add a procedure.  As soon as you dump the flight plan uploaded from Foreflight and do it manually, it works fine.  It's like the IFD doesn't recognize the destination in a route uploaded from Foreflight as a destination and thus no procedure is allowed.  What would be the difference?  That pretty much makes the ability to upload the flight plan pretty useless for IFR flying, assuming you will be shooting an approach at the destination.

The difference is in the details of the route structure.  It looks the same to you using the FPL page, but the FMS notices a slight difference that turns out to be important.  The issue has been fixed in 10.3.  I've also implemented a change in the SDK that will be published probably this week.  When Foreflight releases software that integrates with that new SDK, the problem will be eliminated even for releases prior to 10.3.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:50am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

I've been researching this "activate approach" problem for another customer lately and we haven't been to reproduce the problem here.  Turns out that he loaded his flight plan from Foreflight also.  When this problem occurs, the active leg is still there, but the approach is loaded *prior* to that leg.  I'm not sure what changed, but I'll get with Foreflight to figure it out.

Whether or not an approach in the FMS has a procedure turn (or HILPT) is driven by the database.  There is nothing in the database that corresponds with the notation on the chart that says "NoPT".  That has always been the case.

Thanks Steve,  this has been driving me nuts.  With all of the other issues that we had with the new panel, I wasn't sure where to start.  When the autopilot issues were finally fixed I could isolate the problem a little better.  I appreciate your attention to this.  The easy solution is don't upload FF flight plans to the IFD but I have a couple routes that have a bunch of legs and FF makes it painless once I get in the cockpit.
Woo Hoo!!!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:11am
I've been researching this "activate approach" problem for another customer lately and we haven't been to reproduce the problem here.  Turns out that he loaded his flight plan from Foreflight also.  When this problem occurs, the active leg is still there, but the approach is loaded *prior* to that leg.  I'm not sure what changed, but I'll get with Foreflight to figure it out.

Whether or not an approach in the FMS has a procedure turn (or HILPT) is driven by the database.  There is nothing in the database that corresponds with the notation on the chart that says "NoPT".  That has always been the case.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 9:26pm
I finally got the bugs worked out of the second avionics upgrade to my panel.  The hold-out was the STEC 55X autopilot was gong bonkers up and down like a roller coaster ride.  This week the autopilot flew two LPV and one LNAV flawlessly to minimums.  There are still a few little baubles of 20 feet sometimes but it is very gentle.

The issue that I'm seeing now might be one that I have had all along but didn't know.  I was demoing to someone how you could load a flight plan from ForeFlight up to the IFD540.  A very short hop from 53KT to KAAS.  After we took off, I loaded the LPV approach for KAAS Rwy 23 LPV.  The approach loaded fine but there was no activate button shown.  I tried to load the approach again and got the same thing.  I deleted the approach and tried it, still no activate button.  I ended up deleting the approach and the destination, re-entered the destination, then the approach, and there it was, the activate button.  I don't know if the other times that I had no activate button were in conjunction with a ForeFlight uploaded plan  but it makes me wonder if that was the source of the issues that I have had before with no activate button.
Has anyone else experienced this?

One more thing I've noticed.  I seem to always get a hold in the approach every time I load one, even if I am coming at it from a direction that does not allow a PT.  Has that always been the case?  I've had enough surprise turns in holding to create a new Approach checklist that includes looking for the hold when loading the approach.

Here is the new panel.  I already had the PMA450, IFD540, GNC255A, JPI EDM900, and one Aspen tube.

I added the Aspen MFD, replaced the STEC30 with the STEC55X, replaced the AXP340 and SkyTrax100 with the Lynx NGT9000+ with TCAS, CIES digital fuel senders, digital flap gauge and rearranged the panel a little.

Woo Hoo!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic