Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADS-B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADS-B
    Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 7:40pm
I'm flying behind 2 IFD440's with current navdata. A Lynx NGT-9000 feeds (I think) one of them (#2). Both 440's show they are receiving ADS-B weather but when I open Foreflight, the devices page shows only the IFD. No separate ADS-B "device" as I understand it should. Sometimes it appears briefly, but then goes away. I've read about possible wifi conflicts between the Lynx and the 2 440's, so I set 440#1 to wifi channel 6 and 440#2 to wifi channel 11. (Lynx is on channel 1.) I've communicated with others with a very similar setup and they do show the ADS-B device in FF. Any configuration suggestions?
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 8:38pm
how is your WiFi set up? What device does your iPad connect to?

I've heard the Lynx WiFi has some issues. It might be better if you turn that off and connect to the IFD WiFi. It should send out the ADS-B information for ForeFlight. For the IFD to display ADS-B traffic and weather, it has to be receiving it over a wired connection from the Lynx.

I have an Avidyne MLB100 connected to an IFD540. Foreflight gets is information from the LIO WiFi network that is the default configuration coming from the IFD. 
zephyrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

how is your WiFi set up? What device does your iPad connect to?
ipad connects to wifi #2 (separate wifi newtork, channel 11). When connected to Lynx (separate wifi newtork, channel 1) I see ADS-B device on Foreflight.
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

I've heard the Lynx WiFi has some issues. It might be better if you turn that off and connect to the IFD WiFi. It should send out the ADS-B information for ForeFlight. For the IFD to display ADS-B traffic and weather, it has to be receiving it over a wired connection from the Lynx.

I have an Avidyne MLB100 connected to an IFD540. Foreflight gets is information from the LIO WiFi network that is the default configuration coming from the IFD. 

I'm not sure I can turn off Lynx wifi. My original post may not have been clear: 3 separate wifi networks, 3 different channels. 440 # 2 ( on its own wifi network) shows its receiving ADS-B weather but no ADS-B appears on ipad: only the IFD device.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 11:51am
Originally posted by zephyrus zephyrus wrote:

I'm not sure I can turn off Lynx wifi.

No, you can't turn off the Lynx wifi, but it should not matter.  The earlier problems with the Lynx and IFD not reliably connecting with ForeFlight appear to have been a problem with ForeFlight, which ForeFlight has now fixed.  On my iPad, I can select either box's wifi network to connect to, and whichever one I choose seems to be pretty steady these days.

Originally posted by zephyrus zephyrus wrote:

My original post may not have been clear: 3 separate wifi networks, 3 different channels. 440 # 2 ( on its own wifi network) shows its receiving ADS-B weather but no ADS-B appears on ipad: only the IFD device.

Not sure what you mean here.  Are you saying ForeFlight is not displaying ADS-B weather or traffic?  Or are you saying the display of traffic and weather is fine, but the device info ForeFlight identifies is not what you expect?
zephyrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

No, you can't turn off the Lynx wifi, but it should not matter.  The earlier problems with the Lynx and IFD not reliably connecting with ForeFlight appear to have been a problem with ForeFlight, which ForeFlight has now fixed.  On my iPad, I can select either box's wifi network to connect to, and whichever one I choose seems to be pretty steady these days.
This doesn't work for me.

Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

Not sure what you mean here.  Are you saying ForeFlight is not displaying ADS-B weather or traffic?  Or are you saying the display of traffic and weather is fine, but the device info ForeFlight identifies is not what you expect?
When WIFI is connected to IFD #1 or #2, FF shows neither an ADS-B device (devices page) nor ADS-B data (weather and/or traffic on map page). When FF is connected to Lynx WIFI, FF shows both an ADS-B device and ADS-B data (weather and/or traffic on map page).

What version of IFD software are you using?
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:42am
I haven't found any of the WiFi modules real robust on either the Lynx or the IFD but I would recommend the following -

1) turn off the Wi-Fi on one of the IFDs so only one is in use, I'm pretty sure that is Avidyne's recommendation anyway
2) turn off the Lynx Wi-Fi if unable then change the Wi-Fi channel on the IFD that you will be connecting to, to do this simply change the SSID by appending a 6 or 11 to the end of the name, that will tell the IFD to use channel 6 or 11

My shop connected the Lynx wifi module to its own 1amp breaker so I can easily turn it off, your mileage may vary.  The reason I say to either turn it off or change the channel on the IFD is I have found that by default both devices use channel 1 for Wi-Fi and eventually one or both of the Wi-Fi modules will "hang" due to interference from each other.  The channel on the Lynx is not changeable (or at least without removing the module and programming it manually).

-PA
zephyrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

I haven't found any of the WiFi modules real robust on either the Lynx or the IFD but I would recommend the following -

1) turn off the Wi-Fi on one of the IFDs so only one is in use, I'm pretty sure that is Avidyne's recommendation anyway
2) turn off the Lynx Wi-Fi if unable then change the Wi-Fi channel on the IFD that you will be connecting to, to do this simply change the SSID by appending a 6 or 11 to the end of the name, that will tell the IFD to use channel 6 or 11

My shop connected the Lynx wifi module to its own 1amp breaker so I can easily turn it off, your mileage may vary.  The reason I say to either turn it off or change the channel on the IFD is I have found that by default both devices use channel 1 for Wi-Fi and eventually one or both of the Wi-Fi modules will "hang" due to interference from each other.  The channel on the Lynx is not changeable (or at least without removing the module and programming it manually).

-PA

Thanks for your reply. I've done all this. No luck. Next up will be updating the IFD operating software.
zephyrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 7:02pm
Another data point: 2 ipads. One running the IFD trainer, the other running IFD100. Everything works, i.e. IFD100 shows location, flight plans, frequencies that it gets from the trainer. Just happened to open Foreflight. It shows 2 devices, IFD and ADS-B just like it's supposed to. 👀  Airplane position shows up on FF map. ADS-B shows reception. Trainer works, in-panel unit doesn't.😢
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic