Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CYHM LOC Rwy 12 - ID not recognized

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CYHM LOC Rwy 12 - ID not recognized
    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 5:55pm
I have reported this before, this is the only instance where I have noticed this, although there might be other airports affected.

Tuning the LOC 12 for the ILS approach at CYHM, gives a normal aural ID, my #2 radio (SL-30) decodes it normally, but the IFD flags it with "Check Navaid Identifier ", and will not auto-flip to VLOC. It can be forced to VLOC, and the VLOC will remain yellow, but then the plane will fly the approach normally, except with the continuing IFD error message. Plate attached below.

I have reported this before some time ago, and was told it was some sort of internal database issue for the LOC IDs. Any progress on this?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Nov 2020 at 1:04am
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 6:25pm
Do you know of any other IFD-equipped aircraft that use that field?  If it's a problem for the fleet, it's probably a Jepp navdata issue that they will fix upon notification.

If other IFD-equipped aircraft have no such problem, it's a trouble-shooting job for your avionics shop.  You could do the trouble-shooting step first, but then if it's a problem with Jepp's navdata you will have wasted some money and possibly caused a MIF.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 8:42pm
I was reminded of this today, when another pilot who had just installed a full Avidyne stack, including a 540/440, asked me on how to get the ILS at Hamilton (CYHM) working on her IFD. She had no issues on other ILS approaches, but thought she might be doing something wrong there. She wasn't.

Definitely a fleet issue!

As it was explained to me before on these forums, the data has to get pulled from a dataset that includes both VOR & LOC IDs, and there are some issues when doing that for some LOCs. It used to be a more widespread issue, and I think it was mostly outside the CONUS, most were fixed. Currently I only know of the one, the ILS 12 at CYHM as still being affected. Of course there could be others.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 14 Nov 2020 at 9:17pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 12:54am
Here is the previous answer from tech support, from 2015:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The IFD540 continuously uses the active nav frequency and the decoded Morse code in an attempt to find VHF navaids in the vicinity of the aircraft that have matching frequency and identifier.  The nav database makes a distinction between "VHF Navaids" and "ILS Navaids", though there are some ILS navaids included in the VHF navaid list.  That distinction is present in the source data that we get from Jeppesen.  For the ILS at CYHM (identifier IAB), the ILS is coded as an ILS navaid.  Therefore, the IFD540 doesn't find it in the list of VHF navaids.  The IFD540 will only turn the VLOC indication green when this process finds a matching navaid and since none was found in this case, VLOC remains yellow.

As I mentioned, there are several ILSs included in the VHF Navaid list.  One example in that same area exists at the CYZT airport (Toronto).  The ILS there is 110.15 and has an identifier of ITZ.  If you were to fly the ILS 08 there, the VLOC indication would indeed turn green.

Note that the yellow VLOC just indicates that the IFD540 isn't sure that the proper navaid is tuned, so you should verify that it's correct before using it.  The IFD540 will still use the signal that it's receiving, but the VLOC will remain yellow.  So, it's still perfectly safe to use VLOC guidance, it's just not as convenient because the IFD540 isn't doing the station verification for you.

I will be discussing this further with Jake and the rest of the engineering team.  Don't know if this can be added as a future feature in our 540 software or if it is better addressed at some other step (at Jeppesen and/or subsequent data processing). 

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Nov 2020 at 12:59am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 12:58am
10.2 fixed most of these, but as I mention, I still see that at CYHM on the ILS

* Orest
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:05am
I've made a note of this and will see what I can do...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:42am
You might consider adding a note to the PG, that if you encounter this, but have checked the frequency/tuning, then you can proceed at own risk with a manual force of VLOC.

Otherwise, first time you encounter it, it leaves you a little puzzled. (like the pilot with the new IFDs, that just spoke to me about it)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 Nov 2020 at 11:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic