Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nav data issue - no airspace/aero features shown
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nav data issue - no airspace/aero features shown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewbward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nav data issue - no airspace/aero features shown
    Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:31pm
I just had a used IFD540 installed in my Mooney.  I updated the DFS files from Avidyne to match my tail number and it seems to be working great except for one problem I'll try to explain:

-Upon booting up, the unit takes about 5 minutes to get ready
-When it's not ready, the primary part of the MAP view is basically all black
-During this period, the Status page for GPS shows full satellites but the Nav Mode is blank
-Further, the Status page for the Databases shows Nav: Collecting Information
-On the FMS FPL page, it says Loading Nav Databases
-The GPS indicator (upper right of the screen) is yellow and the BT and Wifi are green

After about five minutes, things seem to go to normal:
-The Map page displays Terrain
-The Database Status page shows Nav: Americas
-The GPS Status page shows Nav Mode: ENRT
-The FML FPL page is active too

At this point, I'm ready to fly.  But when I fly I am noticing that the critical aeronautical features don't display on the map.  For instance, there are no airspace rings at all!  I've been through the Map Options exhaustively and don't think it's a user setting I've inadvertently disabled.

I refreshed all three Jepp databases tonight but the problem hasn't fixed itself.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try before going to a dealer?

The software version is 10.2.4.1.

Thank you!

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 11:18pm
The GPS will be yellow until you activate a flight plan, that happens automatically when you take off as well.

Could it be as simple as not having set the LAND & NAV declutter correctly? Check the buttons on the bottom left of the main map page.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Nov 2020 at 11:19pm
matthewbward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewbward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 11:21pm
thanks. I wish it was that simple! I’ve triple checked that. It really seems like a corrupt database type issue but I don’t know what to do beyond reloading the three databases like I’ve done. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:27am
If you're seeing "Americas" on the Database Status, the nav database is not corrupt.  Try resetting the map to factory defaults by going to the Map Setup page, pushing the right knob for a few seconds and then confirming the message that pops up.  Then go to the Map page and make sure the Land and Nav triangles are completely filled.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewbward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:10pm
Thanks.  Would this be the same as toggling between VFR, IFR, Factor, and Custom?  I did do that.  I think the airspace not showing up is a symptom of something else.  The reason I say that is while the IFD finds GPS within 30 seconds or so, the black screen and "loading nav data" appears for about five minutes when the system is booted up.  The Americas only shows up after about five minutes.

And I can confirm the two nav/land triangles are completely filled.  Toggling through them does affect the map by removing obstacles (the only features that show up besides airports) but it doesn't change the aero features such as airspace rings.

Thanks for your help! 

Edited by matthewbward - 06 Nov 2020 at 12:16pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:27pm
Yes, go ahead and do the factory defaults as I suggested.

Nevertheless, if it's literally five minutes before you see the database identifier, then something else is off.  Do you have a single IFD?  If so, is it configured as IFD#1 and is cross-sync turned off?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewbward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:31pm
I tried all those options and no luck. 

Your question about # of IFDs and cross-sync is a new thought!  Yes I only have one IFD 540 and no other navigators.  I happened to download the config logs this morning and I have them handy.  Can you point me to where I might find that setting, and cross-sync, in them?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 1:34pm
Look at the RS232 Config page in maintenance mode for cross-sync setting.  Channel 3 should not say Cross-Sync (typically, that means it will be Off).  If you have the config files, you can look in 1_Local.txt.

Look for IFD number (Sys ID) on the Aux-Sys Software Status page. 
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewbward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 1:57pm
Thank you.Here is the 1_Local file.  I don't know exactly what I'm looking for - what does this say to you:

"KeyValue Version"                                , UINT08, 000, 00002
"KeyValue ACM Status"                             , SINT32, 000, 000000000001
ConfigVersion                                     , SINT32, 000, 002013022800
"LIO Serial Out 1"                                , STR032, 001, "Aviation"......................
"LIO Serial Out 2"                                , STR032, 001, "ADS-B+ (G2)"...................
"LIO Serial Out 3"                                , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial Out 4"                                , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial Out 5"                                , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial Out 6"                                , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial Out 7"                                , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial Out 8"                                , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial In 1"                                 , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial In 2"                                 , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial In 3"                                 , STR032, 001, "Icarus-alt"....................
"LIO Serial In 4"                                 , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial In 5"                                 , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial In 6"                                 , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial In 7"                                 , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Serial In 8"                                 , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 In 1"                               , STR032, 001, "Garmin GTX 330 w/Traffic"......
"LIO Arinc429 In 2"                               , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 In 3"                               , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 In 4"                               , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 In 5"                               , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 In 1 Speed"                         , STR032, 001, "High"..........................
"LIO Arinc429 In 2 Speed"                         , STR032, 001, "High"..........................
"LIO Arinc429 In 3 Speed"                         , STR032, 001, "Low"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 In 4 Speed"                         , STR032, 001, "Low"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 In 5 Speed"                         , STR032, 001, "Low"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 1"                              , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 2"                              , STR032, 001, "VHF 429".......................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 3"                              , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 4"                              , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 5"                              , STR032, 001, "Off"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 1 Speed"                        , STR032, 001, "High"..........................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 2 Speed"                        , STR032, 001, "Low"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 3 Speed"                        , STR032, 001, "Low"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 4 Speed"                        , STR032, 001, "Low"...........................
"LIO Arinc429 Out 5 Speed"                        , STR032, 001, "Low"...........................
"SDI"                                             , STR032, 001, "LNAV 1"........................
"VNAV"                                            , STR032, 001, "Enable Labels".................
GPS_WAAS                                          , STR032, 001, "WAAS"..........................
"VHF SDI"                                         , STR032, 001, "VOR/ILS 1".....................
"LIO Arinc429 4 SDI"                              , STR032, 001, "Common"........................
"DME Mode"                                        , STR032, 001, "Directed freq 1"...............
"DME Type"                                        , STR032, 001, "UNINSTALLED"...................
"IgnoreSelCrsForGps"                              , STR032, 001, "No"............................
"IgnoreSelCrsForVloc"                             , STR032, 001, "No"............................
"MainCdi"                                         , STR032, 001, "GPS"...........................
"MainObiSource"                                   , STR032, 001, "Track CDI".....................
"MainVFlagState"                                  , STR032, 001, "Normal"........................
"KeyValue CRC"                                    , UINT32, 001, 001706740632

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewbward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 1:58pm
By the way, in my plane I have:
-IFD 540
-GTX 335
-KX 155 (not linked to IFD)
-KMA audio panel
-Fuel flow meter (not linked to IFD)
-JPI EDM 700 (not linked to IFD)
-Brittain AP (not linked to IFD)

Thanks!

-Matt

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 3:09pm
Your config file shows serial channel 3 input set to Icarus.  Without knowing how your aircraft is wired I can't say whether that's correct, but you didn't list an Icarus in your last post...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic