Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OBS/VLOC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OBS/VLOC
    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 8:21pm
Looking for a little help, please...

On the sim, if I press the OBS knob and wait a few seconds, then rotate the knob it forms a radial off of the active waypoint.  In my airplane when I press the OBS, wait a few seconds and then turn the knob it 'OBS' (in green) turns to VLOC. 

Anyone have ideas what I'm doing wrong in the a/c?

Thanks.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 8:46pm
The sim does not work in the same way as the IFD.  You set the course with the external OBS, not on the IFD.  The sim doesn't have an external OBS so it simulates it with the knob.  Rotating the knob selects either GPS or VLOC.  From the manual:

Bob
Speedbird1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 8:58pm
Thank you!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:32am
If I may, a follow up question to this...

When I fly in GPS mode (Autopilot) often the IFD will annunciate (blue color) 'Set Course to xxx'.  Obviously I do this by turning the HSI needle; however, how do you get it set to the exact number?  for example, it might say 'Set Course to 131' and when I turn the needle it's hard to get 131 degrees exactly and make the message go away without pressing on the IFD screen.

TIA!
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:44am
The OBS / HSI course only has to be set within 10 degrees of the desired track for the advisory to clear automatically. In my experience, it takes a couple of seconds for the advisory to clear upon setting the OBS / HSI to the desired track.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 6:25pm
you guys really know your stuff.  Thank you, again!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic