Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SKY497 not displaying on EX5000 MFD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2003Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SKY497 not displaying on EX5000 MFD
    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 7:58pm
The traffic system seems to be in permanent fail mode on the MFD, but traffic is displaying correctly on the GNS 430s.  i have the common implementation of 2003 Cirrus SR22 with factory original setup and it has worked for years flawlessly.

I suspect something has changed in the MFD configuration for the Traffic channel.  It currently shows that traffic is on the port labeled ARINC 426 3.  The GNS 430s configuration show traffic on their ARINC 429 Channel 2, which seems to be set at low speed.  I cannot determine what speed the MFD Traffic port is set at.  

Can someone please let me know what the configuration should be for the MFD Traffic interface?

I have tried 2 separate Cirrus Certified avionics shops, who thought the problem might have been in the SKY497 box.  Both of them failed to solve the problem.
HAB
2003CirrusSR22
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:40pm
In setup mode on the MFD, you can find the "Traffic Setup" page.  The setup config for sensor is TAS, the Port is ARINC429 3, and the TAS Type is Skywatch, with the External Controller box checked.
2003Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2003Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:00am
Great, thank you for this.  Can you tell me if the ARINC bus or port should be set at low speed or high speed.  If the speed setting has to be changed, is that easy?
HAB
2003CirrusSR22
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:36am
There is no setting for low or high speed on the MFD's Traffic Setup page.  I'm guessing the MFD and Skywatch were designed by Cirrus to work together at some speed that is not user-selectable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2003Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 6:05pm
Thanks for following up, CATANI.

I went into the configuration screen on the MFD today and found that the External Controller box was not checked.  So I checked it, saved the new configuration and went through the system reset procedure.

The MFD re-booted but I still had a traffic failure message on the MFD.  I double-checked the configuration and confirmed that the External Controller box was checked.  It was.

I also turned off the avionics master and cycled the entire integrated system.  Same result... MFD showing traffic fail, while the GNS 430s both were displaying traffic perfectly.  I am starting to think I have a failed internal component.  This was an Avidyne refurbished MFD which was installed approximately 2012.  Not sure if it could be tested at a reasonable cost.

Edited by 2003Cirrus - 25 Jun 2020 at 10:08pm
HAB
2003CirrusSR22
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:30pm
If your shop has checked the cables and connections, sorry to say it sounds like your MFD is suspect.  Up to you whether to buy an Avidyne warranty and wait a while to file a warranty claim (what I'd do), or just go ahead and have it repaired out of warranty.  Avidyne works through approved dealers, so contact yours when you've made your decision.

I'm no avionics expert, so good shops should be able to give you better or at least more detailed advice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2003Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 1:53pm
I think you are correct on this being a failure of the MFD.  Rats!

Thanks for your inputs.
HAB
2003CirrusSR22
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic