Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

intial design release questions....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 11:49am
Cool, I forgot to mention. With the dual tuners (you answered this above) and for those of us planning dual IDF540 in the radio stack. Is there a plane for a new radio panel or remote one? By my way of counting there would 4 radio inputs there and Avidyne's radio panel supports 3....

Again, thanks for answering the questions. (especially on a holiday, I am making the assumption you are in the states)

Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 12:33pm
Yup, I'm in the states (MA).

Without trying to make it sound more complex than it really is, if you have a dual IFD540 stack, you'll be able to queue up 10 individual comm freqs.  Now I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who can handle 10 comm channels at a time (I used 4 at a time while flying fighters and that was no easy feat), but the system can support it.

By 10 comm channels, I mean the following:

One way to optionally configure your IFD540 is to select up to 5 freq slots to be displayed along the left edge of the unit.  The first two are always available and if the user elects, they can swap out the traffic thumbnail area for three more freq slots.   We're building a system where you have one active freq (the one that you will transmit on when you key the mic) and up to four standbys. 

You can elect to set up both IFD540s this way, getting you the 10 freqs.  The potential complexity is selecting and indicating which frequency or frequencies you are sending to the Monitor slot on the Avidyne (or PS Engineering) audio panel.   Until I really start flying and testing that part, there is some likelihood of the method changing so I'm a little reluctant to talk about how we are trying to make that part intuitive and simple.

Did I address your question, albeit in a not very direct manner?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 1:09pm
Yes, I follow. Here is the scenario I deal with.
I have ATC on my primary radio. With the next frequency for the next sector already loaded (I fly there enough to know most of the sector hand offs).
On the secondary radio, I alternate between 121,5, AWOS for my destination, and Unicom for my destination so I know what is going on. 
End result, four radios I am trying to follow ideally. Usually guard is not very active (I hope), AWOS I am looking for specific information so I have the volume lower so if I miss it; I just wait for the cycle to continue...

I think you get the idea.

Tim 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 2:23pm
Yes, I follow.  That's exactly one of the scenarios we keep working through as we refine our design.  Let's re-engage on this topic in a few weeks or before if we have something solid to show/tell you on the topic before then.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 12:18pm
Hello Paul,

Getting back to your series of questions:

You noted you have a KMA 26.   That audio panel does have a MON function which will be helpful.   Check out my 3 Sep, 12:33pm post to Tim on this thread with respect to freqs and how to use them.  It's a little high-level right now but see if that addresses your questions.

Reference your question about SDR and block diagrams - I wouldn't declare the IFD540 radio to a SDR (software defined radio) in the strictest of senses.  I'm only familiar with SDRs in the context of internet radios where multiple users can "tune" to multiple channels on the same "receiver".    On the contrary, our radio is clearly heavily software dependent and software tunable.    I'm apparently not able to attach an image (like a block diagram) to this forum but think of the IFD540 VHF radio as having 3 main components - RF card (RF section, power supply, transient suppression), Digital card (A-D, databus interface, DSP) and the Mechanicals  (RF shields, heat sink, etc).

Reference your VOR and DME questions - yes, the IFD540 can display a VOR station bearing and distance and that distance is "pseudo-DME" in that it is computed distance, not an actual slant range DME receiver display.  And of course the VOR station can be drawn on the moving map.

Reference your external indicator question - yes, we convert and send the analog data to those legacy nav indicators like the KI 209.   I don't know until I start flying and looking at those test points if you'll sense any visible difference in "feel" or twitchiness.

Keep the questions coming......
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 4:05pm
Hi Steve,

That gives me a reasonable feel for what the receiver can do.   I consider a radio which feeds the signal into an A/D converter and demodulates it in the digital domain to be an SDR.

Would it be legal to fly a VOR approach using the on-screen information instead of the indicator?

It sounds like you will be visiting the Gardner VOR soon.  If you want a real challenge try using the IFD-540 to fly the VOR 21 approach to Minuteman from GDM.

Paul
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 9:20am
Hi Paul,

There is a definite "art" to the various install configurations and what they will and will not support on their own (without the need of external indicators).  We're working our way through that myriad of details this fall but the short answer is that the IFD540 was designed to be a stand alone unit in that one can fly things like a VOR approach without the need of a supporting indicator.   It will be highly dependent on the location in the cockpit of the 540 and some continued negotiation with FAA cert authorities.  So, the official jury is still out on that one but we're optimistic.

As for the Gardner VOR and Minuteman airfield, I fly over them both every day on my daily IFD540 flight tests so I'll drop in and start shooting that VOR 21 from now on.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 1:35pm
Steve,

One mroe feature request. On the flight planning page (or whatever it will be called) it would be nice to be able to note the direct bearing and distance from the current position, even better would be the ability to have it displayed on the Aspen as part of a data feed. There are many times when I would like to know the distance and bearing. For this reason I do not have auto cross link enabled between my current 530W and 430W. I often set one to direct to destination so I can pull up the distance and bearing on the Aspen and leave the other to manage the flight path.

Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 2:24pm
I use the same technique and it is THE reason why we added the "Aux" line selection to the first generation Entegra PFD display.  Of course that isn't directly relevant here.

However, we do allow you to select a datablock on the IFD540 that gives Destination info (e.g. bearing, and time-to-go and ETA).  Assuming you don't change your destination, that wouldn't matter how you manage your crossfill/box syncing options.   This datablock can be set up to be visible on every IFD page.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 6:04pm
Yes, I miss it on my Entergra I had on the Cirrus SR20.
Glad you guys included it, now to get Aspen to be able to display it on the PFD....

Tim

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:06pm
Steve,

How did flying the Minuteman (6B6) VOR 21 work?  Did the readout on the 540 put you right on the end of the runway?

For those who aren't familiar with this approach it is based on the Manchester VOR which is 30 nm away.  Flying it with a normal radio and analog indicator is "challenging" because if you are 1° off you will miss the runway by a half-mile.  I'm wondering if it is easier with the digital radio in the 540.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 8:29am
Will fly it on today's 540 test flight and report back tonight.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 8:15pm
Had a chance to fly the VOR 21 to 6B6 using the Gardner transition today.  I flew it both on the Avidyne R9 system coupled to the DFC100 autopilot and on the IFD540 system.  It was a nice and blustery/gusty day and as I had expected, both systems flew it flawlessly.

We are trying to upgrade the AvidyneLive forum infrastructure to allow easy posting of pictures and if we're successful with that, I can post a series of photos I took on today's sortie to help illustrate the behavior/performance.

As I'm sure you know, it's a VOR that most local area instructors I know suggest a dive and drive technique inside the FAF because of the long distance VOR behavior challenges.  I did not do that today and just flew exactly per the guidance depicted on the displays and hit the MAP nearly perfectly aligned on centerline and in a position to make an uneventful landing (albeit with significant direct crosswind today)

As a side note, one of the features of R9 and the IFD540 is a very clear depiction of the current leg of the flight plan and the next leg and both are visually differentiated from all other downpath legs.  The current leg is solid magenta and the next leg is a candy-cane striped depiction.  This means that previously complex or confusing procedures are now presented in an intuitive manner.  This is especially true on that VOR using the Gardner transition when trying to enter the hold pattern - the teardrop and course reversal legs are clear as day and you know exactly what the system is planning on doing.  Very comforting.

All in all, I would characterize the approach as "a shrug", at least with the R9 or IFD540 systems.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:07am
You flew that approach on a day when there was a nasty crosswind.  Flying it with an analog radio and indicator under those conditions is tricky (some say not possible).

Any chance you can post the pictures to http://www.avidynelive.com/forum_images/ for now?

Is the IFD-540 now beyond "feature freeze"?  If so, can you tell us about some of the currently unannounced capabilities?  Is there anything new on connected panel or other tablet connectivity, ADS-B in, or Seattle charts, for example?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 2:50pm
Not in office today but I can look at posting pix when return - they were iphone pics with a lot of glare so quality leaves a lot to be desired.....

Yes, the 540 is well beyond "feature freeze".  However, we're not willing to announce anything new.   We have unannounced features in the first release but I'm afraid we're going to stay mum until right at cert time.   It's an intentional business decision right now that we feel warranted based on the (understandable) behavior of our competition.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 10:30am
Competition?  What competition?

The GNS-530W is too old.  The KSN-770 is too young.  The GTN-750 is too big.  The GTN-650 is too small.  The IFD-540 is just right.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 6:59pm
Well of course we agree with you but that won't stop 'em from trying.......

We just upgraded the forum so it should be easier to paste pix - I'll start pasting some pictures of the units in action sometime next week I would expect.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 12:03am
When flying a localizer back-course will the IFD-540 reverse the output on the display and on the indicator?
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 10:33pm
The question about the back course is moot - the only one in the area is in New Bedford (EWB) and it is out of service, probably until 2014.  So there's no chance an examiner will ask my wife to fly it on her checkride.

But when you guys come up for air I'd be interested in the answer.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 7:52am

Steve, I noticed on one for the more recent pictures of the 540, there now is three indictors above the course knob that weren’t there before.  I thought they were buttons but when I called Reid for clarification, he explained that they just indicators.  I guess during your cert process the FAA made you add them.  This brings up a question.  Does the 540 have an inertial unit integrated into the box or is the heading just the GPS calculated course and really not heading?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 3:51pm
The IFD540 does not have an inertial unit integrated into the box.  It can however take in actual heading from any number of 3rd party devices and if it does get that heading, then HDG is one of the allowable modes/states of the Nav Source knob that you are referring to.

The nav source knob (that knob in the top right corner of the IFD540) has undergone an evolution over the last year.  When you think of all the existing aircraft configurations in the 530-equipped aircraft that the IFD540 will be going into, the vast majority have an existing CDI, some of which can transmit set course and some that can not.  The same is true with any EFIS/PFD display currently installed in the aircraft.  Reasons like that have evolved the Nav Source knob design from something that was nearly identical to the R9 system to one that is more compatible with integrating to legacy equipment.  Similarly, there are a lot of installed systems out in the field that are already wired to take in external heading input which is different from saying they can take in external (or internal) GPS course information for GPS-based navigation.

I'll talk much more about that Nav Source knob design in the coming months.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 4:32pm
Cool, very cool.

Is an ASPEN Pro, one of the systems that the IFD540 can pick up a heading indication from?

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 5:20pm
I'll look on Monday to see if Aspen is outputting Heading in a standard message protocol.  I can't remember off the top of my head.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 10:37pm

So if I'm flying my flight plan and ATC starts giving vectors and says "fly heading 180 until you intercept the localizer".  I'm going to be able to dial a course into the 540 and modify the magenta line?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 8:39am
In virtually every case where the IFD540 is replacing a legacy 530 and in most new install cases, the answer will be to continue to set your course and heading commands on the primary device in the airplane.   This was done principally for legacy integration reasons.

A clear illustration of what I mean is the external steam-gauge CDIs.   In most cases, we can read and display what the CDI course is set to but in no cases, can the CDI read and adjust to the course that might have been set on the IFD540.  So, to minimize confusion and the number of places where one must set course or heading commands, we elected to receive that info from an external source and not try to transmit that out to other legacy cockpit devices used for navigation.  (Sending course deviation data to an autopilot is still retained).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:57am
Steve,

Will the IFD540 integrate with a Garmin GTX330ES / 33ES transponder for ADSB capability?

Victor
DaveM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 1:53am
I am optimistically planning my installation. I presently have a EX500 MFD (no radar or Cmax) along with a GX60 GPS. I am planning to remove the GX60 along with the EX500. It has been suggested I keep the EX500 to display the map and traffic. I will have room for both. What do you suggest?
DaveM
DaveM
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 7:59am
First response goes to Victor with regards to the ADS-B support question.  We have created the ADS-B serial protocol that we understand the GTX-330 series of transponders require but the unknown question right now is whether Garmin will recognize the IFD540 transmit data as an approved ADS-B solution for the GTX-330 family.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 8:10am
And to Dave M's question about what we suggest in his particular case.  I suppose there are a lot of options and pros and cons to each but my first reaction is to suggest you (temporarily) keep the EX500 for that extra screen display space.

If you have the luxury of panel space to accommodate both, then I would for a few reasons.

1.  Obviously, all the flight plan kind of data in the IFD540 will be transmitted and displayed on the EX500 in a seamless fashion.
2.  That would free me up to use one of the units as my moving map indicator and do almost everything else on the other unit.  Like was suggested, I'd probably keep the EX500 as a moving map and have the nice, easy to use and easy to read FMS up on the IFD540.  It would also just about double the number of data blocks I can have displayed at any one time which I find very useful.
3.  If you don't feel like you need a 2nd radio, the non-radio variants of the IFD540 or IFD440 will come out not too far down the road after the IFD540 is released and you can easily replace the EX500 with one of those at that time.  I haven't checked current market prices for used EX500s recently but that could meaningfully help subsidize the cost of that second IFD unit.  Heck, I'm sure the Avidyne Sales guys would love to sell you a 2nd unit right now at the heavily discounted early adopter price too.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:47pm
Steve,

Will the IFD540 come with RNP specs or will it be RNAV only?

Thanks,

Victor

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 11:28am
Hi Victor,

Very interesting timing of the question.   

This is a very difficult topic to cover because so many things are changing and it is controversial.   There are three categories of RNP approaches - special crew certification, special equipment or airplane certification required.   It is a very dynamic situation with changes likely still to come.  The FAA is trying to sort this out themselves and other avionics vendors like Garmin are Avidyne are heavily involved in finding solutions that will work for all.

What we *hope* will happen is that approaches will be relabeled to fall into one of two categories - RNAV (GPS) and RNAV (RNP).   At least until the RNP issues are resolved (and there are a bunch of them), pilots would be able to quickly look at an approach chart and if labeled as RNAV (GPS), it's easy to know they and their equipment are okay to fly that one.

We have built the IFD540 to be what we think is consistent with RNP specs but until this all gets resolved, we can only guarantee some RNAV capability.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 8:36pm

Steve, when we speak of an RNAV (RNP) we are talking about Nav accuracy. When we speak of true RNP approach there is an availability associated with that Nav accuracy. With just a GPS solution, architecturally, I don’t think an IFD 540 will ever be able to fly and RNP approach.  I personally think, any solution that flies an RNP approach needs to also be fail operative.  The FAA has been silent on that issue.

Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 8:28am
Steve,

Can you please answer the following two questions:

1.  As you might recall, I have a Garmin GNS480 (formerly Apollo CNX80) and Garmin GMX200 MFD with Jeppview.  The integration between the units is seamless in that when I load an approach into the GNS480, the approach chart will autoload into the GMX200, which will display the appropriate chart as I get closer to the destination.  The autoload is a function of the GMX200.

With an IFD540 and GMX200 combination, will there be the same compatibility between the units, so that the approach plate will autoload into the GMX200 when an approach is entered into the IFD540?

Please forgive me if I asked the same question at OSH last year. I know we discussed other issues but I cannot recall your answer to that one, if I did in fact ask.

2.  I understand the issues you are dealing with at the moment and your updates have been nothing short of exemplary customer service.  In consideration of all those known obstacles you are encountering and other expected upcoming issues with the IFD540 program, at this stage are you able to provide an estimated time frame for release of the IFD440 following the IFD540's release?  I imagine all resources are directed toward the IFD540 and the IFD440 is on the back burner.

Regards from Australia.

Victor

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:45pm
The back course VOR approach at EWB is now in service.  So you can fly one with the IFD-540.  I recommend you try it at lunch time because the restaurant in the terminal is pretty good.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:27am
Will do.  I'm currently out on a 6-day cross country with a dual IFD540 equipped airplane flying it "in the system" to keep stress testing the gear in real-world scenarios.  When I get back next week, I'll drop into EWB and give it a shot.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 1:12am
Steve,

will the ifd540 also have a top of descent kind of function which it will display?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 8:46am
Reportedly the IFD at first release will have advanced VNav calculations, allowing you to set altitude (?speed) restrictions for mulitple waypoints. Naturally, that should give you a TOD point.

The Boeing Banana (20* arc displayed, to show predictive altitude crossing point) may appear in later updates.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Apr 2013 at 8:48am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 4:59pm
Just back from a multi-day XC with the dual IFD540 equipped aircraft.  Yes, the initial release of the IFD540 does have a Top of Descent cue and associated aural chime.  In fact I was able to use that multiple times on this past trip.

Assuming you have some downpath waypoint(s) with altitude constraints in them (you can generate those on your own or take the automatic ones associated with published procedures), you get a green circle on the moving map that is labeled "TOD" and just prior to reaching that TOD point, a CAS message starts a countdown and an aural chime is issued at the TOD point.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 2:56pm
Regarding Victor's question 6 posts above from the 27th of March,

The answer is "Yes, that is the intent."   I am not able to answer it with more precision than that at this moment because that data is not publicly available and we are in the process of creating a protocol that will provide that data to the GMX200.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 11:02am
Steve,

Has the techie who has been working on the marriage between the 540 and GMX200 in terms of complete compatibility, had any success as yet?

Thanks,

Victor
Mooney M20J
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 11:03am
Hi Victor,

Sort of.  We've confirmed all interfaces between the IFD540 and the MX20.    We're still looking for any differences between a GMX200 and the MX20.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 6:58am
Well done that man!

Thanks Steve.

Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 11:49am
Steve,

I got a chance to try out one of the pre-production 540's the Frequency button is really cool.  When the 440 comes out will that capability be selected by going to the FMS NRST tab and selecting the nearest ARTCC freqs or will there be a separate tab for Frequencies?

Jack Seubert
Jack Seubert
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 3:41pm
Both methods are planned.   We don't have the extra tab method implemented yet but that's the kind of quick delta add we plan to do when IFD540 is "Red Label".
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 10:25am
Does the current 540 release contain RNP authorization?  I was just reading about these new procedures:
"
In order to qualify for any RNP operations, the operator must have a compliance statement in the AFMS for the FMS establish
-
ing that the aircraft meets the equipment requirements. This can be in the form of a statement in the AFMS that claims compli
-
ance with AC 20-138 ( ). An example of this is:
This installation complies with AC 20-138C for navigation using GPS and WAAS (within the coverage of a Space-
Based Augmentation System complying with ICAO Annex 10 for enroute, terminal area, non-precision approach
operations (including “GPS”, “or GPS”, and “RNAV” approaches), approach procedures with vertical guidance (includ
-
ing “LNAV/VNAV” and “LPV”). Navigation information is referenced to the WGS-84 reference system, and should only
be used for approach where the Aeronautical Information Publication (including electronic data and aeronautical
charts) conform to WGS-84 or equivalent."
PH
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:49pm
The short (but not crisp) answer is "Maybe".

The longer (and still not too crisp) answer is that by my understanding (and we have a company rep at a FAA-sponsored industry meeting on this and related topics this week) what we used to consider standard RNAV operations are morphing into RNP.  The classic definition of RNP is now just a higher level of RNP.

Anyway, this topic is one of the big remaining open areas in our STC effort - namely making sure we have the current and correct descriptive wording in our STC and AFMS paperwork.

I'm not the best equipped person in the company to answer this one with high degree of confidence but I know we'll know more on how to answer this crisply in the next few weeks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:18pm
It would be really strange if such a modern device would not be certified for ..

It is imperative that the device complies with this.
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:12pm
Good Evening WSH,

Do I understand that you want an approval for RNP approaches before the box is certified? Personally, I would sooner have the box without the RNP if we could get it sooner. 

I see very little advantage to the RNP approaches at this time. If they become the "next thing to have",  would it not be better if they were offered as an upgrade?

There will always be "nice to have" items, but I think we need a box in the panel as soon as practical.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 9:51pm
Well, if IFD540 supported RNP (perhaps in a later release), that would be quite a feather in your cap. Do all you need to do now, but don't hold up the release.

* Orest

wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 2:10am
I would have thought that it would be ready for RNP approaches by design?

I understand that we all want our box yesterday, so do I ... Actually I wanted it 2 years ago ...

RNP approach certification seems to be coming an issue more and more. I know several private n-reg operators in Europe who are going through a lot of hassle to get some form from the FAA that says that the aircraft and pilot are okay to fly these approaches.

A standard 530W apoarently already complies.. So why would this supersophisticated device not comply?

A later upgrade?? Then surely for free!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic