Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

intial design release questions....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:27am
This is why my answer was not super crisp.

True RNP approaches require special equipment, special training and special approval.

However, conventional RNAV approaches are (I think) being re-coded as RNP approaches too and this is where the confusion is coming.

And I know for a fact that Garmin 530s are not true RNP capable.    Any claim that they are RNP capable now I believe comes from the re-coding of conventional RNAV approaches as "RNP".

We are not delaying the release of this product by 1 second for the super RNP stuff.    We are spending time making sure we have the right terminology in the STC and Install Manual as far what capability the box can be recognized as having.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:55am

Steve when you answered my questions last year, it has always been my understanding that the IFD 540 is a GPS navigator which would be compliant with AC 20.138 and AC 20.146.  It is not a multisensor FMS and therefore would not support certification to DO-283 or DO-236.  Isn't that right? ( you can never meet the availability requirement with just one box)

To that end, I am also assuming that in the STC, there will be a statement that RNAV RNP approaches would be permitted down to LPV minimums.  Also that SAAR approaches would not be authorized or would just be removed from the database.

Does anyone really  think bug smashers need SAAR approaches?

Edited by tony - 19 Apr 2014 at 9:56am
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 2:25pm
1) when will the 16W and the TAWS-B versions be released?
2) do the 16W and/or the TAWS-B version have universal power supplies?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 4:36pm
16W variant will be released at the same time as the 10W variant - both will be available at initial release.

Certified TAWS-B variant is a follow-on release.  I have not projected a timeframe for that one yet.

I'm not sure I understand your question on universal power supplies. If you're asking if the same unit can work with 14V or 28V input power, then it's a Yes.  If that's not what you meant, please clarify.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:53pm
I believe that if the 16W version runs on 14V, that's a bonus over the Garmin.  My recollection is that the 430/530 (originally, at least) required 28V for 16W.  If you had a 14V system you needed an external power converter if you were installing a 16W Garmin.  (That recollection is from 2.5 years ago when I was designing my IFD540 install using the GNS 530 Install manual, so ymmv.  Please correct me if I am in error.)
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 1:27am
Yes I asked if a 16W unit can be powered by by 14 V. That is excellent news.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 3:46pm
No, the 16W radio requires a 28V power supply to the IFD.   That is the same physical constraint the Garmins have.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 7:56am
Wiring questions for IFD540 for non-530 accessories:
where do we find the wiring diagram specifically for
MLB700
TAS610
TWX670
Thanks
Robert

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 8:43am
They will be in the IFD540 Install Manual.  We think we're two weeks away (or less) from posting the final version of the IM.   The main change from the last version posted will be a complete set of IFD540 wiring schematics.

The first versions we posted captured all the standard G-530 interfaces and this updated version in 2ish weeks will have all the other devices to include the three you list.

Contact me directly if you really need those wiring diagrams sooner.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 2:33pm
Steve:

Got this from my install shop.  "I am sitting here with the Avidyne rep and he is saying July/August depending on where you are on the list.  Just an FYI.

Comment?
David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Steve:

Got this from my install shop.  "I am sitting here with the Avidyne rep and he is saying July/August depending on where you are on the list.  Just an FYI.

Comment?

Since he is saying it depends where you are on the list, then he must be talking about receiving the unit, not when it gets certifications.  Certification by the end of June, shipping starts in July, but you may not be in the first month of production depending on where you are on the list.  This seems to be inline with the latest projection that has been out for a few months.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 4:18pm
Yes, I agree with brou0040.

I would need a better vector from David to know what you're asking.

I will say that we are still on  track for a cert at the very end of June.   We had an extensive meeting with FAA yesterday reviewing the punch list for both sides.  Starting on the 1st of June or so, we'll have increasingly refined precision on the cert date.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 4:36pm
I guess the "vector" is pragmatic - those of us who have expectations of being first wave will need to get shop time scheduled, which typically for good shops is 6-8 weeks.  Shop is essentially saying their Avidyne rep indicates that shop time commitment may need to be August?
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 6:05pm
Remember, that in most instances the shop time will be fairly minimal, which will make it much easier to schedule.

* Orest

Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 5:57pm
Steve,
I really like that FREQ page especially the enroute Frequency list.  It's a really fast way to find frequencies for the center while flying in cruise.  I have not had a chance to try the IFD 540 where the controlling agency is an approach control not a Center.  On some trips, I get handed off from one approach control to another without ever talking to a ARTCC. Think a flight in the Ohio valley which passes near CMH CVG SDF.  Will the IFD display the approach frequencies which are for practical enroute frequencies in that situation?

Jack

Jack Seubert
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 6:17pm
Yes.  In fact, I'm a Freq List junkie and I use it every time ATC ever gives me a freq.  I guess the best example I'd cite is that I've made 3 round trip flights from MA to FL down the east coast under IFR control each time and never climbed above 7,000'.  I was handed off from one approach control to the next and almost never spoke to Center.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Jack Seubert Jack Seubert wrote:

...  I have not had a chance to try the IFD 540 where the controlling agency is an approach control not a Center....

So, you have an IFD540 installed? Are you one of the experimental crew, or is this one that has shipped as part of month one?

* Orest

Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:18pm
Orest,

I got to play with one in an Experimental.  All I can say is we are both gonna love it! It is fast... I am quite a ways down on the list so you will get yours before mine.

Jack
Jack Seubert
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 10:29pm
When I saw the demo units, one of the things I noticed was that the USB cover would not stay closed.  The sales rep said it was because of all the people playing with it during the demos.  It seems like in some of the test flight pictures, the covers are also not closed.  That could be because they simply didn't close the cover.  Does anybody with experience with the experimental units have any feedback on if this is an issue?  With needing to do regular database updates, it seems like I'll have to use that port often so I'd think the demo units would be representative of what to expect.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Jack Seubert Jack Seubert wrote:

Orest,

I got to play with one in an Experimental.  All I can say is we are both gonna love it! It is fast... I am quite a ways down on the list so you will get yours before mine.

Jack

Ah. I'm looking at Christmas time , for month "4" based on the latest predictions. Somehow appropriate, and just like when I was a kid, I can hardly wait.

* Orest
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 7:21am
The rubber USB cover has two tabs, one on the top and one on the bottom and will stay closed if you push it in and wiggle it. I use mine on a regular basis and have thought about cutting them off because they are open so much and I'm too lazy to fiddle with it.   I'm sure Avidyne looked at a number of different solutions and perhaps it was a design requirement from the FAA, I don't know, but I don't really like it.   However, if this is the worst thing about the IFD540, then you gotta be pretty happy.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 8:31am
We don't like the design of the USB covers and we're improving those in the next few months.    It's true that the type of material we used tends to result in them partially sticking out after a few uses, thereby defeating the purpose of them.

We're going to change the material to make them a little stiffer and easier to snap into a closed state and stay there.

For reference, the anchors of the existing ones can be pulled out (no need to do any cutting) and actually pressed back in if you want to re-insert so we expect that when an improved design is available, those who have the old design and want to upgrade can easily do so on their own.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic