Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Silencing repeated terrain warnings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvetdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silencing repeated terrain warnings
    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 3:29pm
I have twice now flown into private mountainous airstrips and been bombarded with 'terrain, pull up' warnings as I'm approaching the airport and when on final.  These airstrips are not in the database so the navigator has no idea I'm trying to land on an actual runway and thinks I'm trying to fly the plane into the ground with mountains all around me.   I block out the warnings but they are very distracting during challenging approaches.  I can hit 'clear' on my IFD440 but it comes right back.  Is there an easy way to silence these repeated aural warnings or do I just have to remember to turn them off in the settings prior to launching to one of these airstrips in the future?

Thanks
SR22 - KEQY
forkauto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 3:31pm
Turn the aural alerts off in the setup menu or turn the alerts volume down in menu
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 4:04pm
See page 3-50 of the IFD500 series pilot guide (2-43 in the 400 series PG).  It describes how to designate a user waypoint as an airport.  It's a little hokey, but that feature was included specifically to address this situation.  Put that waypoint in your flight plan and the warnings should go away.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 5:51pm
Steve, I am working on a panel update and have a Mid Continent MD41 TAWS annunciation with an inhibit button.  Looking at the install manual, it looks like there are outputs for the Terrain Alert and Pull UP annunciation as well as an input to inhibit TAWS. Can you confirm that these are indeed operational in the latest software?
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Steve, I am working on a panel update and have a Mid Continent MD41 TAWS annunciation with an inhibit button.  Looking at the install manual, it looks like there are outputs for the Terrain Alert and Pull UP annunciation as well as an input to inhibit TAWS. Can you confirm that these are indeed operational in the latest software?

TAWS inhibit works already (may have always worked as far as I know), I can't say what the pinout being used, but I have a "FLTA Inhibit" switch on my panel.  Designating a waypoint as an airport may not be enough.  There are airports in the database, such as L05, where I always get terrain alerts going in.  Just be sure to add enable FLTA to your checklist so you don't accidentally leave the switch turned off.  The switch is much easier than going into the settings.  I don't like to scare passengers and there are certain passes where I know it'll go off every time so I enable it through the pass and enable on the other side with the flick of a switch.

Edited by brou0040 - 03 Mar 2020 at 9:03pm
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by ttvetdoc ttvetdoc wrote:

I have twice now flown into private mountainous airstrips and been bombarded with 'terrain, pull up' warnings as I'm approaching the airport and when on final.  These airstrips are not in the database so the navigator has no idea I'm trying to land on an actual runway and thinks I'm trying to fly the plane into the ground with mountains all around me.   I block out the warnings but they are very distracting during challenging approaches.  I can hit 'clear' on my IFD440 but it comes right back.  Is there an easy way to silence these repeated aural warnings or do I just have to remember to turn them off in the settings prior to launching to one of these airstrips in the future?
What Steve said.  I fly an amphib so get this warning all the time.  I just add a user designated airport for my planned landing area and all the warnings stop.  I never considered it as hokey though.  It works quite well.  I also keep the volume low for those times when I've not been able to program ahead of time.  Some folks recommend adding a switched input to the audio panel.  However, I don't think that's a good idea for such a critical safety feature.
Bob
ttvetdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvetdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:28am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

See page 3-50 of the IFD500 series pilot guide (2-43 in the 400 series PG).  It describes how to designate a user waypoint as an airport.  It's a little hokey, but that feature was included specifically to address this situation.  Put that waypoint in your flight plan and the warnings should go away.

Excellent - exactly what I was looking for!
SR22 - KEQY
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

I asked the responsible engineer and he says... "Yes, there are discrete inputs & outputs and yes they work when wired to an MD41."  His recollection is that it has been there since around 10.2.0

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 1:57pm
Great, thanks. I thought so based on the pinout. When I was working with the precertified software, it wasn't yet operational and couldn't remember hearing the status.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic