Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540, IFD510 and IFD440 FAQs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

No bluetooth keyboard for Royski yet but.....we will be distributing free BT keyboards to all IFD540/440 owners when we get the WiFi/Bluetooth STC approval.

They're little beauties.    Nice compact form factor but they feel robust (not little flimsy things) and are backlit too.

Outstanding! A wonderful gesture.

* Orest

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 3:31pm
Very nice!
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 3:39pm
That is awesome.  I am sure that will surprise some of the folks who keep wondering what future features will require money and what will be included.  Sure surprised me.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 10:36pm
So is there a protocol spec for the Wifi connection?  And can the BT connection support anything besides a keyboard?
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 3:26am
Steve, FYI, "Bluetooth" is only capitalized at the start of the word.  Also, my understanding is that you're also not required to use the "TM" for somebody else's trademark, unless you have some kind of legal agreement obligating you to do so.  Even then, it's generally not applied to every instance.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 12:21pm
Will the IFD 540 work as a position source fro the KT74. It looks like
it is Trig 31 internals.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 1:13pm
In theory yes BUT, and I can't emphasize the "BUT" enough, that's not for Avidyne to say.

The transponder maker (or the installer) has the burden to show a given navigator is an ADS-B compliant position source.  We (Avidyne) are not allowed to say/do that on behalf of another vendor's TSO/STC.  

Edited by AviJake - 18 Jan 2015 at 1:14pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 2:18pm
A friend asked Bendix/King about a KT 74 STC for use with the IFD 540 at Oshkosh.  They told him they were planning to do this by the end of 2014.

At the time the price difference between the AXP 340 and the KT 74 was about $1000.  The difference became much smaller.  And BK has not produced the STC.

I'm willing to bet that Avidyne gets the STC for the IFD 540.  They have a lot of incentive and Steve has been posting the progress in this forum.  I'm less willing to bet on Bendix/King.  The price difference is not enough to make it worth the risk.  We ordered an AXP 340 for our plane.

If all goes well the installation will start in about a week.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 2:21pm
And to that point, I can testify that the 540/340 combination is fully compliant with FAA ADS-B standards, STC or not.

David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 3:10pm
As long as one can get an AXP340. Mine was ordered early November and latest delivery date is early February.

Vince
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 4:10pm
Thanks Steve and others, that and the other responses helps to clear
that up for me.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

As long as one can get an AXP340. Mine was ordered early November and latest delivery date is early February.

Well, that's not good.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 4:49pm
All true.

However, two helpful data points due to rapid ramping up of production lines:

1.  We will have delivered all pre-buy IFD540s by Feb.  (If there is anyone on this forum who doesn't have their IFD540 or a ship date in Feb or earlier, then we need to hear from you since our records show that everyone has their unit or will have their unit by then).   There are some folks who have intentionally delayed their receipt due to personal situations (like some folks are waiting to take joint delivery of a 540-440).

2.  We will have caught up and will have delivered all bought AXP340s by Feb.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 3:22pm
Updated FAQs posted today (30 Jan 2015).   Just a slight tweak to #78 (KFC225 and KAP140 autopilot integration).

They can be accessed from the same spot as usual:   http://www.avidyne.com/downloads/products/ifd540/IFD540-FAQ.pdf

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:13pm
Steve, your link is broken (has an extra space at the beginning).

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:35pm
Thank you!
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 10:58am

Good morning Steve

Thank you for all the information provided in the forums.

I bought the IFD540 in September 2012

I asked for my money back 11 weeks ago and still do not receive nothing.

I have write to Brian Oliver, Frank Singleton and Mark Koch and do not give me an answer for what.

I would like if possible that you help me, even if it is a topic other than this forum.

Thanks a lot.

Rodrigo

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 11:10am
Rodrigo,

I'm on it.  The MA office is closed right now due to the snowstorm but I'll contact the right folks today and get this resolved.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 11:31am

Steve

Thank very much.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards

Rodrigo

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 4:34pm
Rodrigo,

The wire is being issued to your bank for tomorrow, 5 Feb.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jerryrauch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryrauch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:00pm
As a customer it is always good to see someone follow through.  
Is there a update you can provide on the IFD440?
JR
ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:21pm

Steve

Thank you for your notice.

Frank also notified me.

Thank you for your fast intervention.

Best regards

Rodrigo

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 11:21am
Regarding the IFD440 certification status, is the mounting tray part of the approval or is there a chance to receive one now?

I am currently adding an IFD540 to my existing G430W and will swap the Garmin out for the IFD440 once received. However it appears that I will need to replace the G430 tray with an Avidyne 440 tray so that I can sell the G430 (selling one without a try appears to be a challenge). It would be much easier to replace the G430 tray with Avidyne's 440 tray at the same time as I install the 540 so that the 440 install is a simple swap. Otherwise, I'll need to take my panel apart again when the 440 arrives in 6 months.

Vince
Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 1:58pm
We are not able to send you a 440 tray right now but by the time the 440 is certified and shipping this spring, there will be a parallel set of PMA letters that will permit the 430/W-Avidyne 440 tray combo to be installed.

So in Vince's scenario, there should be no reason to pull the panel apart a 2nd time.

When the 440 arrives, slide out the 430W, slide in the 440 and sell the combo 430-Avidyne tray to someone and include a copy of that PMA letter which gives installation cover for that combo.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:41am
IFD440 and IFD540 FAQs updated.   Changed items are marked as 23 April 2015. Updates cover Bluetooth, PFD4000, new features, TAWS-B, transponder interface, 440 status, AeroPlan info

They can be accessed here:

http://www.avidyne.com/downloads/products/ifd540/IFD540-FAQ.pdf
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 2:55pm
Is there an estimated date on IFD510 certification?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:17pm
There's no timeline right now for the 510, we found the majority of our customers that were interested in the 510 ultimately ended up with the 540.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:28pm
Simpson:

From Aspen's social media guy on Beechtalk:

"Yes an Aspen MFD should work with an aftermarket ADS-B receiver that uses the Capstone protocol. It will require a MFD unlock, which is currently priced at $2,000, to connect the non-Aspen ADS-B receiver. 

George Pariza
Director of Product Marketing
Aspen Avionics"

My question: Is the MLB100's protocol Capstone-ish enough to display on my Aspen MFD?

With their receiver priced at $1695, and the unlock ~$2K using a non-Aspen receiver, it is clear what their intent is.

David
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:49pm
David,

Thank you for posting this! It is very helpful.

-Simpson
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 4:46pm
You are welcome.

Is your flavor of Capstone compatible or is the output a proprietary format?
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 12:02pm
We haven't tested it but it should work.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 12:11pm
Do you intend to impose an unlock fee like Aspen is proposing?
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 12:14pm
I've heard no mention of a unlock fee so I highly doubt we would have one in this scenario.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 12:20pm
Great, thanks.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

I've heard no mention of a unlock fee so I highly doubt we would have one in this scenario.

Simpson is correct.  No fee for this on our end.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 9:41am
Updated set of FAQs (dated 23 June 2015) just posted in standard spot.

http://www.avidyne.com/downloads/products/ifd540/IFD540-FAQ.pdf

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic