Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.2.4.1 Is Released

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10.2.4.1 Is Released
    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 3:06pm
Release 10.2.4.1 is now available.  Installation of this release is optional and is available through an Avidyne dealer.

Here are the release notes:

Bug fixes
- Fixed error when inserting an approach prior to an active destination
- Allow lightning to be displayed with AviatorLT subscription with XMD076
- Fixed issue when using same com port for input at one baud rate and output at a different rate.
- Fixed issue caused by rubber banding with different databases
- Fixed com presets button on BT keyboard
- Inhibited Datalink page when no datalink sensor is configured

Improvements
- Reduced nuisance datalink alerts
- Add password protection capability to maintenance mode (for fleet Mx)
- Reformatted main system config page in maintenance mode
- Allow configurations with both AXP340 and AXP322
- Improved transponder control from the datablock
- Added user option to disable WiFi ADS-B output 
- Improved fuel range ring depiction
- Changed demo mode to always enable Capstone configuration

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ReidJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReidJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 3:51pm
I'm currently getting datalink alerts with an NGT9000 connected to the IFD540/440.  I'm in Canada so its hard to test whether the datalink weather works until I fly down towards the States.  Will this update likely fix this nuisance datalink alert?
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 7:09pm
Maybe I'm being a little impatient but I'm visiting my mechanic on Monday so I have a great opportunity to install and have him sign the log book, is the software going to be downloadable like 10.2.3.1 was?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by ReidJ ReidJ wrote:

I'm currently getting datalink alerts with an NGT9000 connected to the IFD540/440.  I'm in Canada so its hard to test whether the datalink weather works until I fly down towards the States.  Will this update likely fix this nuisance datalink alert?
The generation of the "Datalink Data Not Rcvd" nuisance alert was fixed in 10.2.3.1.  The change in this release is to delete the message upon acknowledge so that the AUX button doesn't stay lit all the time.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

Maybe I'm being a little impatient but I'm visiting my mechanic on Monday so I have a great opportunity to install and have him sign the log book, is the software going to be downloadable like 10.2.3.1 was?
This release is only available through dealers.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:17am
Thx, I don't see any must have items for me on this release so dealer only made the update decision easy.
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 1:12pm
Thanks Steve for all the work to get this done.  Our bird is with the avionics shop right now and due collection tomorrow - hopefully they finally reconfigured the RS232 port connections to overcome the speed issue!  Nonetheless, it's good that 10.2.4.1 should now bring back the flexibility we had previously.

Our setup in a Cirrus SR20G2 now includes the Entegra PFD and MFD, Lynx NGT9000+ transponder and DFC90.  Is there any reason we should hold off the software installation?  I'm always wary of bring a first-adopter with newly-released software!

Colin
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

This release is only available through dealers.
Then sir, I HIGHLY suggest, that you speak with your dealers.
The "DEALERS" here, near where I live, Southern Arizona, have two ways of dealing with your customer base:
1. They do NOT answer, nor return phone calls, texts, or emails.
2.  They are "kinda busy right now, and well, frankly, havent done any of those updates, and really don't have the time right now, to figure out how to do it."
I purchased these units, back when the end user could buy, recieve, and install them.  I assumed that the "updates" would be happily performed by your "dealers", or like myself, by holders of Inspection Authorizations.  
I never thought that Avidyne would release updates, and there would be no "dealers" to install them.
Regards,
Randy

Edited by AviSteve - 12 Feb 2020 at 1:49pm
Regards,
Randy
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by ColinW ColinW wrote:

Is there any reason we should hold off the software installation?  I'm always wary of bring a first-adopter with newly-released software!
No reason to hold off.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Randy Randy wrote:

Our sales team is in contact with dealers on a regular basis.  If you have specific concerns, I'm sure sales@avidyne.com would be willing to listen.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:32pm

Our sales team is in contact with dealers on a regular basis.  If you have specific concerns, I'm sure sales@avidyne.com would be willing to listen.
Very well, then.

Regards,
Randy
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:35pm
Any reason avidyne changed their policy? I was able to download 10.2.3.1 which appears to have been a pretty major update,  give it to my IA and allow him to install it while he was doing other work, now I have to take it to a dealer that I might not see in between my static checks and convince him that he wants to spend time performing an update while he has more lucrative projects waiting for his attention.

I'm assuming this is a warranty upgrade?
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:44pm
Email to sales.

Sir.
Steve Lindsley has suggested I contact you, as you can see by the forum post below.
This was due to the new release of the update to the Avidyne line of avionics.
My reply / suggestion, to him, was that the Avidyne dealers are not very open or inviting to your customer base, for updates, etc.  
In southern Arizona, where I am based, the dealers have two ways of dealing with customers.
1.  They do NOT answer the phone, email, text messages, nor do they return calls, texts, emails..
Pretty much non contactable.  
2.  They claim that they are "kinda busy, and have not really done any of those updates,and are not quite sure about how to do them, so we will get back to you, when we research it some."
Never to be heard from again.
I do NOT expect them to drop everything, to service my aircraft, but I do expect a certain level of support.  
If you think I am joking about the above, just try and contact them, NOT on Avidyne letter head, or phone number, or by telling them who you are... Just be a "Joe bag o donuts", and ask for a reservation to update your avionics.  See what your response is.
Be honest.  Don't cheat. I think you will be surprised at the level of "support" you will get.
Let me know how it goes.
Regards,
Randy

>>>
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
<<<

--
Regards,
Randy
Regards,
Randy
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:58pm

My dealer can't even download the update since the link posted on your dealer portal doesn't work. A wasted trip to my dealer today.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:20pm
I was very happy with Avidyne when I was able to do my own firmware updates. I've done several so far. Then the last time, I had to have my A&AP involved to download the upgrade. I happen to know more about electronics and computers than my A&P, but we work well together so we got it done.

Now only a dealer is allowed to do it. That is a huge step backward. I echo the sentiments above. Dealers are not interested and often not available nearby. I would not take my plane to any of the local dealers. The closest one I would trust is almost an hour flight away. I doubt they will be interested in a software update. It is also a major inconvenience to have to fly there, wait a couple of hours for the work to be done, and then fly back another hour. Sure the update only takes an hour, but the dealer will typically not be waiting on the update to complete and will then want to do some paperwork. 

Please go back to allowing an A&P or self-install with A&P sign-off. It really is a major annoyance to have to deal with an avionics dealer for just a simple firmware update. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

My dealer can't even download the update since the link posted on your dealer portal doesn't work. A wasted trip to my dealer today.
I'm not sure what to tell you there.  I just tried the link personally and it worked just fine.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:34pm

Reminds me of the days having to work with the local (IBEW) union, if you presented them with something that wasn't union made and you asked for it to be installed, you can bet they had problem after problem until you cried uncle.

You want to send the update information directly to the A&P/IA I'm fine with that but to try to schedule with a radio shop for something they really find more of a hassle, especially when they may not have done the installation can be difficult at best.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:43pm
When there were real bugs that needed fixing, it was nice to be able to get the units repaired quickly yourself and have an A&P sign it off. However, now that the designs are more mature and updates truly optional, I can see how that policy might have changed because (1) too many pilots messed up their units forcing Avidyne to commit resources to help them, or (2) too many dealers complained about the loss of business, or (3) both.  If that's the case, it could be for the better.  Unless you keep dealers happy, they won't service your customers, and you can't maintain or increase market share with their promoting other products. 

Just guessing, I have no inside info into the avionics market generally nor Avidyne in particular.
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

When there were real bugs that needed fixing, it was nice to be able to get the units repaired quickly yourself and have an A&P sign it off. However, now that the designs are more mature and updates truly optional, I can see how that policy might have changed because (1) too many pilots messed up their units forcing Avidyne to commit resources to help them, or (2) too many dealers complained about the loss of business, or (3) both.  If that's the case, it could be for the better.  Unless you keep dealers happy, they won't service your customers, and you can't maintain or increase market share with their promoting other products. 

Just guessing, I have no inside info into the avionics market generally nor Avidyne in particular.

Good point on keeping dealers happy.  BUT, the customer base, the end user, the payer of the money, needs to be happy as well.  
I have absolutely NO issue with dealers needing to do the update.  I DO have issue with the dealers NOT wanting / NOT knowing how / or too busy to DO the updates.
Avidyne has a fine line to walk.  I understand that. BUT, without the end user being happy, Avidyne goes away.

A thought just occured to me.  
What if:  An IA, such as myself, went to Avidyne, took a class or school, whatever, and became an "Avidyne Update Expert", and instead of a radio shop, you bring me your aircraft, I get the blessing from Avidyne to download the update, (because I am an "Update Expert"), do your update, charge you a reasonable fee, (give Avidyne a 5% kickback), sign your logbook and you be off.??!
No dealing with radio shops that are busy, or non contactable, just me, a nice retired IA, with too much time on his hands.
Maybe make a few IA's as "Update Experts"... the more the merrier.  
Regards,
Randy
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:59pm
The more I think about the Avidyne Update Expert thing, the more I like it.
If not a single guy, then after an update, the radio shops / dealers have an "Avidyne Update Weekend".
A specific date, from 9 am till 5 pm, two or three days.  Show up, get updated, pay the bill, fly away.
No need to contact them. Every shop would have the same day / time for Avidyne update.
Maybe an additional day, like a month or two after the update, for the  people who didnt have the time to update that weekend.
Regards,
Randy
Rangemaster_Tango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rangemaster_Tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:02pm
I'm disappointed in this change.  I won't be getting the update...not even remotely worth trying to get a dealer to do it, let alone paying extortion fees for the privledge.  

The last update process was so much better from my viewpoint.  Download the software and then provide the flash drive and instructions to the local A&P that has a soul.

Just the view from here. 

-Marty
IFD550/AXP322/Skytrax ADS-B in
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:40pm

I have absolutely NO issue with dealers needing to do the update.  I DO have issue with the dealers NOT wanting / NOT knowing how / or too busy to DO the updates.

Well, the problem with dealer attitude may be that Avidyne diverts the income that Garmin and L3 afford them by having them do those updates.  And, if so, would not happier Avidyne dealers who are happy to serve you make you happier?  For that reason perhaps, diverting income from shops to "install experts" is going from the frying pan to the fire, and would just perpetuate the problem. 

By the way, understand that many shops are overwhelmed with guys who just learned they need ADS-B Out.  My local shop is booked for months!  Getting them to do updates on Garmin or Avidyne or similar small jobs is going to be challenge for a while for any customer who hasn't reserved time with them already.
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

For that reason perhaps, diverting income from shops to "install experts" is going from the frying pan to the fire, and would just perpetuate the problem. 
I don't know the answer.  I was just thinking outside the box.  
If you are referring to INSTALL (with wiring etc) experts, then that is NOT what I was thinking of.
I am thinking of software install people.  
The shops are not getting the software install / update money now, by design.  They are not doing the work, nor do they seem to want the work.  Why would they complain about it?
In 2 years, when the avionics install business has dried up, and they see "update experts" getting the 15 minute jobs, while the install shops are looking at laying people off.. then they can have it back.
If Avidyne starts up "update experts" and I choose to become one, I won't be doing it for the money.
I will be doing it help  myself and friends of mine keep our  avionics up to date.  Money is not a player here.  I just think having options is better than begging shops to do a 15 minute job, and paying big bucks for it.  IF you can even get them to talk to you about it.

Edited by Randy - 12 Feb 2020 at 7:57pm
Regards,
Randy
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:33pm
A firmware upgrade is about a 1 hour job, if everything goes ok, and you have a record of all the settings saved. If an internal SD card dies, it can be a lot longer! The installer doesn't need to be there the whole hour and can do something else in parallel, but my last firmware install took about 50 minutes from the time inserted the USB drive. 

I would be willing to pay a local shop, but most around here are not very good and I don't trust them with my avionics. The one I do trust is an hour away, so in addition to a 1 or two hour shop charge, I'd have to add the cost of two hours of flying my plane. It is a shame to pay a couple of hundred dollars for a very simple procedure. 

Can Avidyne shed some light why the process has changed from allowing owners to install, to requiring an A&P to order the upgrade, to now requiring a dealer license?

Edited by HenryM - 12 Feb 2020 at 8:35pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:19pm
I’d like the ability to have an A&P do the install as much as the next guy but I’m sure Avidyne has their reasons.  I’m sure they took everything into consideration in making this change.  Does G***** allow A&Ps to upgrade their units?  My last “1 hour” upgrade at the avionics dealer turned into 4 hours due to multiple complications that required help from tech support.  I know many complain about the additional expense of the flight to the shop but we all love to fly and the hour flight for the $100 hamburger is not a burden.  Avidyne supplies a great product and is not charging for the update itself.  As it’s only a minor update, as others have said, waiting until the next major one is also an option.  
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I’d like the ability to have an A&P do the install as much as the next guy but I’m sure Avidyne has their reasons.  I’m sure they took everything into consideration in making this change.  Does G***** allow A&Ps to upgrade their units?  My last “1 hour” upgrade at the avionics dealer turned into 4 hours due to multiple complications that required help from tech support.   
If I may. 
Exactly what were the complications?  
Did these complications require the dealer / installer to be with the unit for the full four hours?
Did these complications happen while the dealer / installer was with the unit, or after a few minutes / hours?
I am not sure where you live, but Avidyne support, as far as I know, is East coast time, and operate from approx. 9 am till 5 (maybe 6) pm, monday thru friday.
So I assume you started early Am, unless you are east coaster.
How did tech support assist in fixing your issue?
(IMHO, tech support could walk anyone thru the steps to fix an issue, or just say.. "pull unit, and send in", I dont see where dealers / installers are more "woke" to tech support help)
I am just trying to get a feel for how a dealer / installer is more "savvy" on the update / install of a simple "copy settings, plug thumb drive in, reboot unit, let unit update, etc."
Follow the service letter for upgrading.  They print the steps right on it.
Regards,
Randy
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:15pm

I'm not sure what to tell you there.  I just tried the link personally and it worked just fine.

I believe it works for you but here's a picture of their PC screen:

I had my Macbook Pro with me and they tried it on there also (I won't post that picture since it shows the entire web address of the ftp site.

Edited by LANCE - 12 Feb 2020 at 10:19pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:19pm

...here's a picture of their PC screen
Thanks for those pictures.  I'll see if we can chase it down tomorrow.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:13pm
There must be something wrong with your DNS server. I can reach that site from my iPad with no issue. It sounds like your machine can't resolve the address. 

I was also able to reach it from my Mac running the latest macOS.

Edited by HenryM - 12 Feb 2020 at 11:52pm
programmer@pcmforles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote programmer@pcmforles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:15am
I was able to do two today and there was no problem downloading and updating the units.
I am sort of the rover/troubleshooter of our shop and I can do these for anyone that needs the update, even on a short notice as I am not tied down to any one project in the shop.   We do them as one hour of labor including the logbook entry.   The bad news, we are in Reno, NV which is a bit isolated from most of the rest of the US, except northern California.    But if you are in our general area and need assistance we can definitely help out. 
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:43am
Thanks for the offer! Too bad I'm too far away.

I will likely skip this update and wait for 10.3, which I think is due sometime this year and should have more feature updates, right?
GBSoren71965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:12am
I have done all the previous updates myself, with A&P "oversite" and signing my logbook. They've all installed without a hitch, I've just followed the instructions. I can tell you for 100% certain that I know more about doing updates on the IFD series than my A&P. It's one of the things I've loved (and bragged to others about) about the IFD, I had the ability to do the updates without taking it to a dealer, as far as I know Garmin will not allow this.

This is the first update that I'll most likely skip. It doesn't really look like any of the fixes or enhancements affect my system. I'll wait for the next release, see what enhancement it offers, before going to a dealer for install.

I understand why Avidyne is doing it, and I can't say I'm upset, it'll just be less convenient. I'm afraid that some IFD's will go without getting needed updates in the future because of this.  
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:44am
I'm not thrilled with Avidyne's decision regarding the software update and I don't think we will be able to change Avidyne's mind (although I'd like to think we can), my plan is come annual is to send my IFD440 in for repair as I have a major problem with receive sensitivity.  Transmit is fine and if I put a GNS430W back into the tray it has no issues with receiving.

I'm assuming that if the unit goes back Avidyne will upgrade it to the most current version of the software and probably include all mods too.

Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:56am
I have done a search, in the 8110.49, and 43.3, and even did a search for "avionics techs needed" and the different hiring boards, seeking the answer to my question:
      What is the F.A.A.'s requirement for a person to load software (FLS) into installed equipment?

I am unable to find a job description, other than "A&P mechanic". (Yes, I know, the new term is A.M.T., but I am old.  Change comes hard for me.) LOL

There is no definiton for "databases", but one could argue that the operting system of any avionics is a "database"  I'm not an attorney, so ymmv.

Is there a "school, study sheet, online course", that Avidyne gives to avionics shops, for them to become installers, dealers?  NOT the install, wiring, etc., stuff, but the installation of updates, and such?

Is there a standard that Avidyne uses for dealers, installers, etc.?  (Must do $x amount of business?  Have x amount of employees?  Have x amount of hangar space?  Anything along those lines?)

Is there someone at Avidyne that can answer these questions, (and a few more), or may be open to the idea of a "Avidyne Expert Updater" type of program?

I am serious about this, and the more I thought of it last night, the more I thought it would benefit Avidyne, and the Avidyne customer base.  

Bottom line:  This "expert updater" person would NOT install avionics.. he or she would only update the software, from the Avidyne site, under performance standards given out by Avidyne.
I really think this would be a great selling point for Avidyne.  

....".....Along with our state of the art avionics, you no longer need to wait on your busy radio shop for software installs... visit one of our knowledgeable expert updaters...."

I would be happy to talk to someone at Avidyne about this.
520-419-3238  cell 24/7 (except on sunday morning)

Regards,
Randy
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:26pm
In general, I will agree with others on this thread that an informed, involved and diligent owner is more likely to follow the instructions correctly than the average shop technician (A&P or avionics tech).  There are certain dealers who are dealers in name only (DINO), while others truly are dealers.

My home field has examples of both now. The "real" dealer recently opened their doors and got my business while the DINO has been here for a long time and missed out. For past upgrades when only DINO was on the field, I was very thankful when Avidyne would allow me to to the update with or w/o an A&P sign-off. I'm fortunate to now have a real dealer to perform the update.

Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:33pm
Almost 10 hours, and nothing so much as a "go to he**."
I can only assume, the use of dealers for updating software, (and the subsequent LACK of service from those same dealers) is by design.
Nothing from sales, nothing from anyone here, nothing from Avidyne.
Mr. Schwinn started Avidyne to help G.A. get over the inertia of the "old radios", and the old way of doing things.  It appears his vision has been squawshed.  AND not by the F.A.A.
Sad really.

Regards,
Randy
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:24am

What is the F.A.A.'s requirement for a person to load software (FLS) into installed equipment?

Software for the radios probably falls under the Airframe part of the A & P license.
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:35am
Hi steve

Will this fix the issue between the IFD100 and IFD550, where the data was timing out causing data errors/mis-matches?  See the screen shots I provided tech support last summer.

Also I concur with a number of folks here asking for user updates. As an additional data point, some of your dealers, to be frank, aren't very familiar with your products, in fact each visit to a dealer I had to make I  ended up fixing some of their mistakes. Some of us are very capable, and having a AP sign off seemed like a good compromise. I'd also be willing to pay for tech support if that is your concern. Dealers aren't really a good option in my neck of the woods, as I don't really feel they are very competent and unless both myself and my AP sign off on the work, I really don't feel safe. Happy to go into more detail offline, but suffice to say I have good reason. 

Both these are screen shots at the same time.  One of the IFD550 showing no errors, and one of the IFD100 showing errors. Will this be addressed?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1btdtmNnbYns5EL9JipZFWagZqSWLEiFX

http://drive.google.com/open?id=1cdrb3Gdh356Ty3FjDIhc3h4PSIYNgs6P

Edited by wb8wka - 14 Feb 2020 at 1:38am
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:13am
Many dealers aren't enamored with Avidyne products to start with because slide in installation had cut them out of the loop whereas Garmin intentionally did not go this route showing they prioritized the avionics shops over the customer. Data updates for many of these shop owners will be considered a nuisance (same as it is for us).
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:47am
The unit has Wifi, we should be able to update it from an iPad. 
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:13am
Originally posted by MarkZ MarkZ wrote:

The unit has Wifi, we should be able to update it from an iPad. 

Via WI-Fi would be nice but that isn't going to happen, plus it is probably the most unreliable way to do an upgrade :) 

However updating it via the USB port should be allowed by any A&P (or owner under the supervision of the A&P).

I would be nice if Avidyne would at least say why the decision was made to disallow anybody from downloading the upgrade from Avidyne so their A&P could do the upgrade.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:18am
Avidyne posted higher in this thread that it is because it is only a minor release and the last time they received 2000 calls from users needing tech help which took away from their  ability to help with other critical issues. 
ReidJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReidJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:01pm

Originally posted by ReidJ ReidJ wrote:

The generation of the "Datalink Data Not Rcvd" nuisance alert was fixed in 10.2.3.1.  The change in this release is to delete the message upon acknowledge so that the AUX button doesn't stay lit all the time.

I am on 10.2.3.1.  Not sure why we're still getting that alert.  I know we are outside of ADS-B signal range, however I certainly don't need that alert popping up consistently as I fly around Canada.
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:40pm

The change in this release is to delete the message upon acknowledge so that the AUX button doesn't stay lit all the time.

This is a welcome improvement but not enough enticement to spend the time and money to take it to a dealer.  Really disappointed in the dealer-only precedent being set.  
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:34am
I do think it is disappointing that Avidyne is not staying with their own longstanding PG written position regarding IFD software updates. AFAIK, every version of the IFD PG so far has had this or similar stated position; below is from page 7-63 of the current (revision 7) IFD500 Series Pilot Guide:

SOFTWARE UPDATES

With very few exceptions, all software inside the IFDs is capable of being updated via the USB connections as well. This means the IFD does not need to be returned to the factory for any future software updates. The Avidyne position is that any shop that holds a repair station certificate, an A&P, or an Experimental Aircraft owner with log book signoff authority can perform the update. The person performing the update must follow the provided Service Bulletin explicitly and mail/fax/email back in the completed update sheet that is part of the Service Bulletin but Avidyne does not restrict this to just Avidyne Service Centers
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:03pm
You got that right. I went round and round with Avidyne over this issue on the last upgrade. My AI will sign off on the install, and I send (Faxed) a copy back to Avidyne.

For me to go to a dealer, the closest to me is in Tampa, about 120 miles south of me. I have to waste a day and 15-20 gal of 100LL to get their and then have the shop charge me 2 hours labor. One of the reasons I went with Avidyne and not stay with Garmin was to get away from this type of BS.

Your sales people are always sending me e-mail on new products, and have sent most of us leather pouch's to store our manuals, tee shirts, prop socks and ask us to be Avidyne Ambassadors by giving our pilot friends pre-printed cards etc, But your Technical support side seems to forget who actually paid our hard money for these boxes. Your dealers are not your customers, we are, and we should not have to go back to the dealer for anything that does not require the actual removal or repair of the Navigator. On top of that, attempting to get a dealer to even preform these updates is not a given. On the last upgrade most shops were up to their eyeballs in ADS-B installs, and were not about doing any software upgrade, hell, some of them did not even know how to preform it.

Avidyne states they are doing this just to limit some support phone calls? I personally had not problem with the last two upgrades and did not have to call you, but is that not what your support people are supposed to do, ie support us owners.
Claude
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

I do think it is disappointing that Avidyne is not staying with their own longstanding PG written position regarding IFD software updates. AFAIK, every version of the IFD PG so far has had this or similar stated position; below is from page 7-63 of the current (revision 7) IFD500 Series Pilot Guide:

SOFTWARE UPDATES

With very few exceptions, all software inside the IFDs is capable of being updated via the USB connections as well. This means the IFD does not need to be returned to the factory for any future software updates. The Avidyne position is that any shop that holds a repair station certificate, an A&P, or an Experimental Aircraft owner with log book signoff authority can perform the update. The person performing the update must follow the provided Service Bulletin explicitly and mail/fax/email back in the completed update sheet that is part of the Service Bulletin but Avidyne does not restrict this to just Avidyne Service Centers

And also stated on this very forum by an Avidyne employee.  I'm one I'm sure of many who based in part his buying decision on this policy.  I'll pay if my AP has to do any support calls.  

wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:11pm
This just got posted on the Avidyne facebook group.

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:26pm
we are in the process of working out the details.  Standby...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 1:59pm
As long as we follow your detailed written instructions, we should be OK.
Claude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic