Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aspen E5 Crash After "429 Data Not Rcvd"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aspen E5 Crash After "429 Data Not Rcvd"
    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:42am
I've got an Aspen E5 that's rebooting occasionally. Configuration includes an NGT9000 and IFD440. The E5 reboot is preceded by a "429 Data Not Rcvd" annunciation on the 440. Looking for any suggested diagnostic and/or corrective actions. (My avionics shop is looking into this too.)

Thanks in advance!
matthewsjl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewsjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 9:58am
My gut would say that the 429 Data Not Received is a symptom of the E5 not sending data to the IFD just before it reboots.

John
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 11:34am
matthewsjl is correct, it's not a diagnostic message it's just letting you know it lost a signal. I had one of the first E5 installs and had some other issues (cable length). My original unit would occasionally reboot both in flight and on ground (got same message). When I went in for the cable fix they replaced the E5 also and that problem went away. Unfortunately had a new glitch a couple of weeks ago and am waiting on a replacement unit.
vancinad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:41pm
Thanks gents. This is the kind of info I was looking for. I appreciate the input.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 3:47pm
Check that you have the correct configuration on the IFD for that 429 input. If that is not the problem, you may have (as previously mentioned) wiring quality problems. Your IFD is not getting ADAHRS data from the E5.
BDflyer95r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDflyer95r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 8:13pm
I am also having Aspen E5 reboot issues and have reached out to the OP and Flybuddy:

Earlier this year I took the plunge and did an avionics upgrade that included a new avidyne ifd440 and a new Aspen E5.

Unfortunately, since then my new Aspen E5 has been performing poorly in the 9 months since installation....I am looking to see if other Aspen E5 customers are experiencing similar issues to help find the root cause.

While Aspen has been responsive in trying to resolve the issue I will describe below.....I am posting here to try and get the word out to see if others are experiencing the same problems with the Aspen E5 to see if the community can shed some more light on what is going on with the Aspen E5.

**** So, here goes ::::: I'm now on my 3rd Aspen E5 unit since Feb 2019.

I've had 3 in-flight E5 restarts ( 1 on each E5 )...the E5 just goes blank and reset as if it was normal:

1st reset) On final approach to rwy in Feb - approach power/RPM, gear going down:::E5 replaced by Aspen in Mar

2nd reset) In cruise at ~8k ft in Sept - cruise power/RPM:::E5 replaced again by Aspen + New (blue) shielded RSM cable Nov - cable length less than 12 feet.

3rd reset) On departure at ~5k ft in Dec - high power/RPM:::Logs downloaded and sent to Aspen. Logs seem clean to me but Aspen has yet to review and make a root cause determination

Some background info:
- I've flown about 80 hours since original E5 install
- E5 is just connected to an ifd440 and an Stec-30 via the Aspen ACU
- I have the original 910-00003-002 RSM (E5/Top Mount) installed
- I get no indication on anything in the plane that a reset is pending...ie, dim lights, GPS error, etc
- Seems that there is no correlation in the events for the in-flight reset
- I reviewed the logs sent to Aspen....I can see nothing other than what appear to be normal bootups
- I have looked at the disgnotics page and see nothing out of what I would expect to be normal
- E5 MAP software was 2.10 during all of this
- E5 has a backup battery but never "goes to battery", ie like in a loss of power situation
- There is no ADSB-In info being fed into the system...I use a portable stratus and ipad/foreflight for weather/traffic.

If anyone else has any ideas or has experienced any E5 issues, please feel free to reply.

BDflyer95r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDflyer95r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 11:37pm
There have been lots of E5 / Aspen posts lately and just wanted to get an update out there.

Aspen delivered an updated E5 ( with the new 2.11 software ) to my shop and was able to get it installed today.

I have just 30 min on the new unit but no issues so far....Aspen has been responsive to the issue and feels like we are moving forward.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 12:52pm
Two thumbs up on my ASPEN Max. Just slipped right in (upgrade), and is working well.

* Orest
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:20pm
Just got the 2.11 update and the software feature unlock on my E5, another thumbs up!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic