Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saved $1k on navdata sub. - Thank you Avidyne

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saved $1k on navdata sub. - Thank you Avidyne
    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 5:28pm
Well, it seemed too good to be true. I was currently paying US$1850 for data & charts for Canada & US.

With the new product bundle that Avi negotiated with Jepp, for nav, ob & charts, it goes down to US$850 !!

I was skeptical that Jepp would pull it off, but I gave them a call. They didn't know the product item numbers described in the Avi circular, but I read them the description of the bundle. Put me on hold for 15 minutes or so, and came back -- all done. Cancelled the old plan, expecting a credit soon, and activated the new plan.

After a few hours, I checked the Jepp JDM, and it was all there. It worked!

Amazing! Thanks again.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Dec 2019 at 5:30pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:57pm
It's nice to hear some positive things about Jepp and their efforts.  Does this allow you to show the Jepp charts on Foreflight or is it only the IFDs and IFD 100?  I'm waiting for a more reasonable plan like yours that also allows FF.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:04pm
That I'm not sure about. It does allow two (2) portable devices, but I expect that is only IFD100, simulators and perhaps their Jeppview product. I do like my Jepps on FF, so if it doesn't I will pony up an extra $100 or so, still a lot cheaper than what I was paying.

This is the two IFD or IFD + EX5000 plan. The listed single IFD plan does not have charts included, could have saved some more, but I wanted charts on the IFD, but not bad for an extra $200.

For US only folks, it is of course less.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Dec 2019 at 8:05pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:09pm
Just booted up the iThingie, and FF. It downloaded and installed the latest Jepp updates, so looks like it does include charts for FF. I'll know for absolutely sure next month.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Dec 2019 at 10:22pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:38pm
IFD100 and simulator downloaded charts as well.

However, I did lose the Windows JeppView package data updates. No big loss, unlike in the past I very seldom use it much now.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Dec 2019 at 8:39pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:15pm
Agree. I eliminated Jeppview also.  Really never used it.  If the Jepp approach plates appear in FF, it would appear that IS included.  Very cool. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:27pm
There is a cool utility that is STRICTLY for simulation only. It gives you current world-wide Jepps for $10/mo or so! And has a good EFB. Also includes navdata for simulated FMS systems. It will only work if it has an active internet connection, just in case anyone got ideas about taking it into a real cockpit.

Although for simulation, and what I use it for, it is handy for playing around with as well. There is a fully web based EFB as well as desktop and mobile apps.

http://www.navigraph.com

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Dec 2019 at 11:30pm
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:38pm
I’m glad to see Avidyne’s work with Jeppesen paying off.  However, I find it disturbing that Jeppesen does not recognize their own product numbers for the new pricing and it took the rep 15 minutes to find the pricing to give you.  If an Avidyne customer isn’t on this forum and familiar with the pricing thread, they are at the mercy of the Jepp rep and clearly won’t get this new pricing.

Below is the invoice I just received.  I can lower this by going with the full USA NavData for $299.  But a chart package, which Steve says is coming, is not yet defined for a single IFD.  I’ll wait and see what is forthcoming.

Before I got my IFD, I was a big user of JeppView and FlightDeck.  However, Jepp never upgraded JeppView to work with Windows 10, so it is now useless to me and anyone else with a newer computer even though it still gets a big splash on their website.  I prefer Jepp Charts and have used them for 34 years, so it’s very disappointing that they just can’t seem to get their act together.

Bob
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

I’m glad to see Avidyne’s work with Jeppesen paying off.  However, I find it disturbing that Jeppesen does not recognize their own product numbers for the new pricing and it took the rep 15 minutes to find the pricing to give you.

For some reason those product numbers are not used by the CSRs, although you see them on your invoices, and they are quoted in the Avidyne product support area.

He asked me to read the one line description of the package, and the quoted price. I don't think he was looking for it for fifteen minutes, but took that time to generate the cancellation of my current product, and adding the new product, probably while handling a second customer as well.

No complaints from me in this interaction with Jepp. This CSR's name was Joe,

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Dec 2019 at 12:26am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 1:58am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

It's nice to hear some positive things about Jepp and their efforts.  Does this allow you to show the Jepp charts on Foreflight or is it only the IFDs and IFD 100?  I'm waiting for a more reasonable plan like yours that also allows FF.

My understanding from the FF web site is that if you have a Jepp chart subscription, you can access them from FF. See here: https://www.foreflight.com/products/jeppesen/ Scroll down to Simple Purchase Process.

They say one has 2 options for Jepp charts: 1) order the Jepp charts via FF as an add-on, in which case you get them on the 3 FF devices, 2) order directly from Jepp and link to the sub from FF. In fact this is like activating additional devices on your Jepp subscription so you might run up against a limit of how many FF devices can use the charts if you already have your IFD(s) running as active devices on your Jepp sub.

I would expect that anyone with charts on the Avidyne IFD(s) would need to use option 2 otherwise one would end up with 2 Jepp chart subscriptions. I'm not aware of any way to link the Avidyne's to an existing Jepp sub ordered through FF.
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:06am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Just booted up the iThingie, and FF. It downloaded and installed the latest Jepp updates, so looks like it does include charts for FF. I'll know for absolutely sure next month.

* Orest

Orest, do I understand you correctly that you ordered an Avidyne bundle directly from Jeppesen, linked it to ForeFlight, and got the charts on your (single?) IFD540, IFD100, and all 3 ForeFlight devices (or just one)? I suspect just one FF device, since you're not an ithingy person and likely only have FF running on one ipad. ;-)  Do you know how many total seats your Jepp subscription allows?

Edited by chflyer - 03 Dec 2019 at 2:23am
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Orest, do I understand you correctly that you ordered an Avidyne bundle directly from Jeppesen, linked it to ForeFlight, and got the charts on your (single?) IFD540, IFD100, and all 3 ForeFlight devices (or just one)? I suspect just one FF device, since you're not an ithingy person and likely only have FF running on one ipad. ;-)  Do you know how many total seats your Jepp subscription allows?

Yes, all ordered directly from Jepp.

I previously had the big bundle, which included four licenses and JeppView and nav, obs + charts for my IFD. US$1850 for US + Canada. With that I had the Jepp program on my laptop, and could access Jepp charts on three other apps (not devices). In the old days, they supported an android version of their Jepp app, I used it for that. When I migrated to FF, I used one of those four licenses to enable Jepp plates in FF.

Now, with the slimmed down bundle, for US$850 I get nav, obs + charts for US & Canada on my IFD (and any other Avi equipment in the plane) PLUS a license for two devices, not apps -- devices. I have a single-purpose iPad to run FF, and on that iPad I can use one of those licenses to populate Jepp charts and data to FF, the IFD100, the IFD simulator and the Jepp app. That still leaves me with one free device license. JeppView on my laptop is not available to use one of those licenses, so it is now defunct, for me.

So, the seats are now devices, rather than apps like before. And it seems that when I update one of the apps running on a device, all the apps get updated.

There is no purpose for other iOS devices, so the second device license will remain unused.

I could save even more by deleting charts, about US$400, but I would eat into those savings by paying FF US$150 or so for their Jepp chart package, so that doesn't really make any sense with the loss of availability of charts, from three devices, down to only one undependable iPad.

I only have ONE Avi device in the plan, and this plan allows for any in one plane (second IFD, EX5000 etc.). So potentially there may appear a new plan for ONE Avi device PLUS nav, obs + charts, then I'd opt for that for some more savings. Currently the ONE Avi device plan does not include charts.

Clear as mud? ;-)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Dec 2019 at 12:16pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 3:03pm
... but I have a sneaking suspicion that the Jepp charts in FF will disappear, once FF handshakes with Jepp for the next update, which may not occur until the next cycle. I can pick them up with $150 to FF.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Dec 2019 at 3:04pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 4:06pm
I just renewed, and indeed got the bundle as expected.  The mega curiosity of all of this is that all the work which seems to have been done accomplished something, but the ease of use did not translate with it.  I got the bundle I expected but gave the sales person the item number posted on Avi's web site, which he said has no meaning for them there.   He says each time you have to tell them what you want, then they go and search for a product which fits that specification.

Is there a reason that Avi has item numbers, but Jepp doesn't recognize them?

David Gates
LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:35pm
The cost of my subscription, which I recently renewed, increased by $17 above the cost for the previous year. The subscription is for US navdata for an IFD440 and an EX5000. I do not receive charts, terrain, or obstacles. Unfortunately the negotiated prices didn’t save me money this year.
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 11:34pm
Well, I got a little too excited!

As to Jepp charts in FF, they are NOT included with the new plans. So if you want to see them in FF, you have to pay FF -- that would about double my FF subscription cost. Still a generous savings from what I was paying before, and you can turn FF Jepp charts OFF/ON quite easily from the FF website if you wish to harness seasonal discounts.

The new Jepp plan includes showing the charts on your IFD(s); and both the IFD100 and IFD Trainer apps, on two devices. I only have the one iOS device, so can only use the one device license.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Dec 2019 at 11:45pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:12am
Ok, so that's clearer. Thanks Orest.

As announced JeppView/Flitedeck subs and FF are linked, and those subs you can access from FF. Makes sense with the Jepp phase out of Flitedeck at year end in favour of FF.

But there is still no connection between avionics-related Jepp charts (even if on an IFD100) and the "pure" chart subscriptions.

Hopefully that will come at some point. The chart-on-map functionality in FF is nice and higher priority to me than on the avionics. But that is a personal preference item. The Europe coverage bundle has not dropped as much in price as N.A. and also doesn't include VFR charts like the FF Jepp combined IFR/VFR package. 
Vince
RebeccaStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebeccaStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 2:56pm
I had trouble updating the databases on my IFD540 yesterday. First said it wasn’t formatted correctly, I verified that it was. Then it seemed not to recognize the thumb drive in the USB port. I never got the “update databases” option. It just remained “download logs” in the AUX sys tab. When I opened ifd100 on the iPad, I got the option to update Jepp databases there. My question is, is there anyway for the iPad to update the databases on the IFD540 through WiFi or Bluetooth?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by RebeccaStevens RebeccaStevens wrote:

My question is, is there anyway for the iPad to update the databases on the IFD540 through WiFi or Bluetooth?
No, that capability doesn't exist.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic