Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 Replacement For GNS430 With G5's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD440 Replacement For GNS430 With G5's
    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 12:53pm
I am going to replace my GNS430 with The IFD440 direct slide in replacement. I already have 2 Garmin G5's in my panel as primary instruments and a S-Tec 50 autopilot that all works well with my GNS430.

From what I have researched in doing this all I should have to do is put the logbook entry in as stated in the instructions in section (5.5 LOG ENTRY) exchange guide.

For those of you that have done this am I correct in that assumption?

Thank you in advance for any help or direction you can give me.

Victor Catalanotto
www.bellanca.us 
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 1:33pm
I did a self swap of the GNS430W and it was pretty painless, I made a logbook entry using the suggested one that Avidyne provided in their guide.  I did talk to my AI before swapping it out asked him if he had any issues and he didn't, he even signed the logbook entry as well signing off my work.

Granted I didn't have G5's in my plane but I was using ARINC 429 for traffic and that also worked as expected.

Jeff
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 6:18pm
Best to call Avidyne Tech support, they are great and will answer all your questions about compatibility and configuration
TXCARGY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Best to call Avidyne Tech support, they are great and will answer all your questions about compatibility and configuration

As I understand it they do work just fine together. What I am looking for is someone that has the two G5's installed already and then did the slide in replacement if they had to get any other paperwork or logbook entries other than what Avidyne shows to use as a logbook entry.

My assumption is they did not and I would just like to verify that with someone that has already done it this way before I spend anymore dollars or should I say get the boss to appropriate me to spend more than I told her I would. 

Thanks for the response and I'm sorry if I was not clear on my original post. 
Victor
Bellanca 17-31ATC
www.bellanca.us
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:43am
The same goes for paperwork, they will be able to answer any questions
TXCARGY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXCARGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:04pm
Thanks for the help I have received the answer to my questions about the G5's. This is addressed from what I have been told in the IFD440 installation manual Rev 18.

Does anyone have a link or can send me a PDF file of it so I may satisfy my A&P? Looks like my boss will not have to be asked for anymore dollars to spend than what I have already told her.
Victor
Bellanca 17-31ATC
www.bellanca.us
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:16am
Originally posted by TXCARGY TXCARGY wrote:

Thanks for the help I have received the answer to my questions about the G5's. This is addressed from what I have been told in the IFD440 installation manual Rev 18.

Does anyone have a link or can send me a PDF file of it so I may satisfy my A&P? Looks like my boss will not have to be asked for anymore dollars to spend than what I have already told her.

Don't know about a Rev 18 install manual, my radio shop showed me Rev 17 dated 4/29/19 and it certainly says in section 2.3 that the G5 is a "compatible interface" and was tested by Avidyne.  Any more than that I think you will need to talk to either support or your avionics shop.

XPRSAV8R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPRSAV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 3:01pm
I have 2 G5s connected to an IFD550. Works perfectly fine.
SloRoam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SloRoam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:32am
I did this swap some time ago with dual g5s.

It was straight forward.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic