Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Procedure question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Procedure question
    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 10:12am
In case it makes a difference, I have the IFD440 connected to a power supply on a bench, it is not in the plane at the moment and it does have a current database.

I was working with flight plans on the unit and when I chose a procedure (in this case RDG) I was presented as expected with all the procedures available at the airport, however one thing caught my eye.  There are three GPS approaches, RNAV (GPS) 13, 18 & 36 and next to 13 and 36 was a 5 digit number in parenthesis which was different for the two approaches, there was no number next to the RNAV (GPS) 18 approach.  I also checked one other airport and it too had a number next to a GPS approach.  I do know that 13 and 36 are LPV approaches, 18 is only a LNAV approach.

My question is, what does this number mean?  Any significance to me or do I just ignore it?

Jeff

Edited by PA23 - 19 Oct 2019 at 10:15am
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 11:19am
I believe you are referring to the WAAS channel number for the two LPV approaches. These numbers are specific to each LPV approach and should correspond to the WAAS channel numbers on the corresponding approach plates (upper left corner of Jeppesen or NOS).

If you would like the procedure to indicate (LPV) instead of the five digit channel number, set the AUX - SETUP - Setup FMS - WAAS Channel Numbers to "Off".

BTW - a little quick research showed the corresponding Approach ID (i.e. W09A) can be seen on the AUX - SYS - Status GPS display of the IFD. I don't know offhand if there is another place Approach IDs can be referenced on the IFD.

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 9:52am
You are correct, from what you gave me an some additional searching I now see it on the approach plate.  I had previously seen the "channel number" and just assumed it was something possibly put aside for military operations.

Based upon what I've found some equipment allows you to enter the channel number to select the approach, but with the IFD and (most, all?) other GA equipment where it is menu driven the channel number is pretty much useless.  I guess you can verify the name against the number when selecting it.

-Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic