Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 + L3 NGT9000R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 + L3 NGT9000R
    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 6:50pm
When my plane goes under the knife for the Aspen Max upgrade, I am contemplating some other changes and am looking for opinions.

I currently have the wretched SkyTrax100 ADS-B receiver that doesn't play nice with my Aspen so that I had to pick the Hazard Awareness unlock instead of the ADS-B one.  I am thinking about replacing it with the L3 NGT900R remote unit.  What I understand from conversations and pictures in the newest operating manual is that it works from the IFD interface.  Anyone have any experience with it?  It will also allow me to remove the Stratus II and its antennas since the L3 unit works wirelessly too.

I am also going to replace my STEC30 with either the TruTrak Vision or the STEC55X upgrade.  Both units are close to the same price installed.  Looking for pros and cons of each. I know that the 55X has really nice interoperability with the Aspen.

Removing the AXP340 and replacing it with the NGT9000 remote unit frees up space on the panel for the 55X head unit without having to move stuff around.

At the same time I will be replacing the stock Cessna fuel sending units with the CIES digital units.  That will require that my JPI EDM900 be returned to JPI to have it converted.  At least once on every flight, the old sending units, although rebuilt, crap out and set off the anunciatior light.  They will also set it up to add a carb temp probe.

Edited by Kentucky Captain - 02 Oct 2019 at 6:51pm
Woo Hoo!!!
Fuz16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuz16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 8:36am
I recently did things very similar to what you are doing.  IFD550 paired with Lynx NGT9000+ with an Aspen Pro1000 - I’m in line for the MAX upgrade.  I removed my S-Tec50 autopilot and installed the Avidyne DFC90 since it works with the S-Tex servos in my Bonanza.   It is an amazing autopilot and works beautifully with the IFD and Aspen.   I, too, will be replacing my fuel senders when they do my MAX install.  I have an JPI830 and may upgrade to the 900 at that time as well.  Check out the DFC90.  If I works with your airplane get it, it is much better than the 55X. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 12:32pm
Unfortunately the DFC90 seems to be end of life, in that Avidyne is not working on adding any aircraft to the AML. I have a Cessna Hawk XP with an Avidyne panel and Stec 30, and would love to replace the Stec with the DFC90 but don't have any expectation that will ever happen.

Pardon the thread drift.

Edited by chflyer - 04 Oct 2019 at 12:33pm
Vince
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 2:27pm
At this point, I can't decide which way to go.

Do I do the STEC55X refurb upgrade from my STEC30 and stay with old technology of being rate based or do I jump ship and go with the TRUTRAK VIZION and get onboard the digital age?

The only down side that I'm seeing with going with the TruTrak is:

TruTrak will only do GPS approaches, no VOR or ILS.  That is not a deal breaker for me since I almost always shoot GPS approaches anyway.  Looking at my logbook, the only ILS or VOR approaches that I have done in the last 4 years was for training.  On another note, I have heard that since I have an Aspen EFIS that I can still do the VOR and ILS approaches since the autopilot gets its info from the Aspen.  Any thoughts?

The heading bug does work thru the Aspen but I understand that the altitude preselect does not at this time.  It must be set on the TruTrak unit.  Any word on if that has been rectified yet?

The TruTrak is slightly more expensive than the 55X upgrade ($1200) but still not a deal breaker.
Woo Hoo!!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 3:51pm
That is a tough one!

I'm very happy with my STEC 55x/ASPEN combo. Full integration, and does most everything I need, FD/VLOC/HDG/GPSS/intercept modes, and you can run LNAV alone or LNAV+VNAV. It is rate based, but with properly working servos I've never seen that as a problem. It does lack an IAS mode and a recovery button.

That said, B-K is going to be developing the TruTrak, adding in stuff that is missing, it has a bright future, and the B-K would be new.

The DFC-90 would be ideal, but it is not going to happen.

There is also the STEC 3100. Priciest option. Has everything, but firmware is still a mite buggy. They are working hard to fix it.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Oct 2019 at 3:53pm
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 4:07pm
The Aspen does not fully integrate digitally with the 3100.  When that finally happens (with the necessary Aspen software upgrade), it should be an excellent and very robust combination for those of us with an existing S-TEC autopilot (I too have the S-TEC 30).

Edited by AZ Flyer - 04 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 4:14pm
p.s.  I also have the panel-mounted NGT-9000 and really like how that works.  I'll be curious to see how the remote version works out with the IFD.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

p.s.  I also have the panel-mounted NGT-9000 and really like how that works.  I'll be curious to see how the remote version works out with the IFD.

At this point, If I choose to replace my Stec30 with the TruTrak in the same hole, I have no need to conserve center stack space.  I can pull the SkyTrax100 (remote mounted) and the AXP340 and use the panel mount NGT9000 and get all the cool glass.  Anybody need a good deal on a fairly new AXP340?
Woo Hoo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

The Aspen does not fully integrate digitally with the 3100.  When that finally happens (with the necessary Aspen software upgrade), it should be an excellent and very robust combination for those of us with an existing S-TEC autopilot (I too have the S-TEC 30).

I would really like the 3100 but it is not STC'd for my C172.  Neither is the Avidyne DFC autopilot.
Woo Hoo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

That is a tough one!

I'm very happy with my STEC 55x/ASPEN combo. Full integration, and does most everything I need, FD/VLOC/HDG/GPSS/intercept modes, and you can run LNAV alone or LNAV+VNAV. It is rate based, but with properly working servos I've never seen that as a problem. It does lack an IAS mode and a recovery button.

That said, B-K is going to be developing the TruTrak, adding in stuff that is missing, it has a bright future, and the B-K would be new.

The DFC-90 would be ideal, but it is not going to happen.

There is also the STEC 3100. Priciest option. Has everything, but firmware is still a mite buggy. They are working hard to fix it.

* Orest

I'm really leaning towards the TruTrak but trying to find videos and/or documentation on its interoperablity with the Aspen Max is painful.

My understanding and I'm looking for confirmation on:

TruTrak enables the flight director on the Aspen.  Heard it, haven't seen it.

The Aspen Max has heading bug control of the autopilot.  Is there anything that has to be done on the TruTrak before you can roll the heading bug and it command the autopilot?

TruTrak does not currently allow altitude pre-select from the Aspen.  Heard it was in the works?

What is the procedure for coupling for an approach.  I haven't seen one video that goes through it at all.  The TruTrak documenation doesn't touch on it very well.  It would be nice to see a flight that shows how they work from take-off, climb, cruise, descent, and approach to get the feel of the process.  I would hate to get it all installed and then really hate the procedure that you have to use to make it work.

I'm looking at mid november or December for the upgrade.  The Aspen Max will have a 3 week turn-around time so I thought that I could get all of these things done at the same time:

Aspen Max upgrade
replace autopilot
replace ADS-B solution
replace stock Cessna fuel senders with CIES ones
send JPI EDM900 back for digital conversion and add carb temp

Carpenter Avionics in Smyrna TN will be doing the work.

Looking forward to command bars and vnav.  BTW Oskrypuch, the Boeing Banana is pretty cool.  Did you see where the Aspen Max will have one also called the Altitude Intercept Arc?  I'm guessing it is based on the altitude that you have displayed in the Aspen altitude alerter.
Woo Hoo!!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Kentucky Captain Kentucky Captain wrote:

BTW Oskrypuch, the Boeing Banana is pretty cool.  Did you see where the Aspen Max will have one also called the Altitude Intercept Arc?  I'm guessing it is based on the altitude that you have displayed in the Aspen altitude alerter.

Very cool, and powerful. And yes, on the ASPEN it is based on the ASPEN altitude preselect -- so you have to be cognizant of the difference with the IFD.

* Orest
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:09am
I've been looking at the BK Aerocruze 230 as it will use the existing servos from my KFC 150 but for some reason it won't work with the new KI 300 yet which I plan to install so I'll  add the autopilot sometime in the future when it is approved.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I've been looking at the BK Aerocruze 230 as it will use the existing servos from my KFC 150 but for some reason it won't work with the new KI 300 yet which I plan to install so I'll  add the autopilot sometime in the future when it is approved.
That is a neat looking unit but unfortunately it looks like a no/go for the C172

Edited by Kentucky Captain - 09 Oct 2019 at 4:45pm
Woo Hoo!!!
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 4:46pm

That is a neat looking unit but unfortunately it looks like a no/go for the C172
[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised.  The Trinidad is on their STC list so I would have assumed a C172 would be also.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 2:50am
Looking for some info here.  Still can't decide which autopilot to let my IFD540 and Aspen Max get chummy with.  I'm having a hard time finding all of the info on the TruTrak.

Stec55X upgrade

Pros
uses the Stec30 servos
Flight director
Coupled approach and v-speed/altitude select
altitude select on Aspen
Heading bug on Aspen

Cons
Older technology-Rate based
no envelope protection or leveler

TruTrak

Pros
Envelope protection and leveler
Attitude based
Heading bug on Aspen

Cons
No flight director?
No altitude select on Aspen?
Full coupled approaches?

The envelope protection is not a huge deal for me but my wife, a non-pilot, wants it.

I've heard that once you have a flight director, you will not want to be without one. I can't see buying yet another autopilot without one.  I can't find out if the TruTrak has that with the Aspen.

I've also heard that TruTrak is either working on or has accomplished putting the altitude select on the Aspen.

I'm also trying to find out the buttonology involved in setting up the autopilot to activate an approach.

I have found no YouTube videos or documentation that details all of these things.  Has anyone seen any evidence of any of these things?  I am rapidly coming to the point where I have to pull the trigger on one of these autopilots and I just can't get all of the info that I need.  Thanks for any help.
Woo Hoo!!!
Fuz16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuz16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 2:02pm
I recently installed the Avidyne DFC90 to replace my S-Tec 50.  It works wonderfully with my S-Tec servos and my Aspen.   As for the button pushing it automatically sequences from GPSS to approach when needed, then to the hold if going missed.  If I were you I would strongly look at the DFC90.  Altitude preselect, automatic barometric altitude change, so many amazing features to pair with your IFD540.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Fuz16 Fuz16 wrote:

I recently installed the Avidyne DFC90 to replace my S-Tec 50.  It works wonderfully with my S-Tec servos and my Aspen.   As for the button pushing it automatically sequences from GPSS to approach when needed, then to the hold if going missed.  If I were you I would strongly look at the DFC90.  Altitude preselect, automatic barometric altitude change, so many amazing features to pair with your IFD540.   

I would love that but the DFC90 is not certified for the C172.
Woo Hoo!!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 8:10pm

...If I were you I would strongly look at the DFC90.  

I would jump at the chance, in a heartbeat, it would be a slide in upgrade from my 55x. But the DFC90 is approved for very few aircraft, and most sadly, it is very unlikely we will see the AML expanded.

* Orest
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 5:11pm

Looking for some info here.  Still can't decide which autopilot to let my IFD540 and Aspen Max get chummy with.  I'm having a hard time finding all of the info on the TruTrak.

Stec55X upgrade

Pros
uses the Stec30 servos
Flight director
altitude select on Aspen
Heading bug on Aspen

Cons

TruTrak

Pros
Attitude based
Heading bug on Aspen

Cons
No flight director?
Full coupled approaches?

The envelope protection is not a huge deal for me but my wife, a non-pilot, wants it.

I've heard that once you have a flight director, you will not want to be without one. I can't see buying yet another autopilot without one.  I can't find out if the TruTrak has that with the Aspen.

I've also heard that TruTrak is either working on or has accomplished putting the altitude select on the Aspen.

I'm also trying to find out the buttonology involved in setting up the autopilot to activate an approach.

I have found no YouTube videos or documentation that details all of these things.  Has anyone seen any evidence of any of these things?  I am rapidly coming to the point where I have to pull the trigger on one of these autopilots and I just can't get all of the info that I need.  Thanks for any help.

@Kentucky Captain: Did you make a decision?
I just completed an Aspen EFD 2000 MAX + TruTrak install to go with my existing IFD540 and NGT-9000. To answer a couple of your questions:
 - Aspen sends Baro, Heading, and GPSS passthrough to the TT now.
 - Aspen is rumored to be adding Altitude, VSI bugs to the next release.
 - Dynon HDX sends Baro, Heading, VSI, and Altitude to the TT now, but not GPSS.
 - For coupled RNAV approaches, once I have Baro entered on the Aspen and am cleared for the approach, I switch the TT GPSS source to the IFD direct and tap the MODE button on the TT to reset it to GPSS. The TT then ARMs and captures the RNAV GS, following it down to MDA/DH. No further button pushes required.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 1:27am
Originally posted by skitheo skitheo wrote:

Stec55X upgrade

Pros
uses the Stec30 servos
Flight director
altitude select on Aspen
Heading bug on Aspen

Cons

TruTrak

Pros
Attitude based
Heading bug on Aspen

Cons
No flight director?
Full coupled approaches?

@Kentucky Captain: Did you make a decision?
I just completed an Aspen EFD 2000 MAX + TruTrak install to go with my existing IFD540 and NGT-9000. To answer a couple of your questions:
 - Aspen sends Baro, Heading, and GPSS passthrough to the TT now.
 - Aspen is rumored to be adding Altitude, VSI bugs to the next release.
 - Dynon HDX sends Baro, Heading, VSI, and Altitude to the TT now, but not GPSS.
 - For coupled RNAV approaches, once I have Baro entered on the Aspen and am cleared for the approach, I switch the TT GPSS source to the IFD direct and tap the MODE button on the TT to reset it to GPSS. The TT then ARMs and captures the RNAV GS, following it down to MDA/DH. No further button pushes required.

I've got Aspen envy.  I'd like to have another one in the panel and one gets lonely and does need company but I've got too many other things going on in this shop visit.  I even left a space for it when I designed the panel in the rebuild in 2015.  See pic.

I decided on the STEC55X.  The main reason was that I get the flight director on the 55X but not on the TruTrak.  That was a deal breaker for me.  It seems that the Aspen was designed around the  55X.  No separate annunciation panel is required since all is displayed on the Aspen.  The Aspen will have altitude pre-select, heading bug, vertical speed, and fully coupled approaches for VOR, ILS, and RNAV.  Since the current STEC 30 is also my turn coordinator, I will have to have another one installed.  Even then, the 55X will come in at about $1K less than the TruTrak since I already have the STEC servos.

Also getting replaced is my Avidyne AXP340/SkyTrax100 combo with the L3 NGT9000.

The JPI EDM900 goes back to the manufacturer to modify it to accept the new CIES digital fuel senders and have carb temp added while it is there.

I am also replacing the original flap indicator with Visual Instruments digital flap indicator.

Oh yeah, the original reason that plane is going in the shop, to upgrade the Aspen to the new Aspen Max.

Now, hurry up and get here February 3rd so that the plane can get into the shop before I add more stuff.

Woo Hoo!!!
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 6:51am
you have a great looking panel!
Fuz16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuz16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 8:23am
Double check the turn coordinator.   With the DFC90 I was able to remove my TC from my S-Tec 50 install.  You can check the install manual and may be able to delete the TC as well and utilize the one in the Aspen.  
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 10:44am
I’m also struggling with the idea of “in” to play with my panel. I’m stuck with a 400B/vaccum system and it seems nobody is going to spend the $$ certifying a digital gyro to drive this pretty good old soldier. I’m thinking about going over to the dark side and replacing my AXP 340 and KNS-80 with the GX375 box.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 2:44am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

you have a great looking panel!

Hi Henry.  Back at you.
Woo Hoo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 2:49am

Double check the turn coordinator.   With the DFC90 I was able to remove my TC from my S-Tec 50 install.  You can check the install manual and may be able to delete the TC as well and utilize the one in the Aspen.  

The STEC 55X is rate based and I was told by the installer that it requires a turn coordinator to operate.
Woo Hoo!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic