Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Compatibility with IFD 440

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsayler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compatibility with IFD 440
    Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:21pm
I'm considering upgrading the Garmin 430W in a 1961 Beech TravelAir.  Will the plug and play IFD 440 be compatible with a S-Tec 30 autopilot, Garmin GTX 345, Foreflight and Avidyne IFD100 on an Ipad.  I will have a NAV subscription thru Jeppesen.  Items to consider, concerns, incompatibility?  Appreciate all the support possible as mistakes would be costly.
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:13pm
I have two IFD-540s wired to an Stec 50 and a GTX-345.  I use foreflight and the IFD1000.  It all works together.  Although, you may have a few issues.  If your shop is an Avidyne dealer, they'll figure it all out.  

The "install" is, literally, side the 430W out and the 440 in.   My 530W -> 540 install was, in fact, that easy.   

However, everything must be wired "just so" for EVERYTHING to work.   But, it should be fairly trivial (software upgrades, configs, and maybe a wire or two) for your shop.    I had a few issues when the 345 went in, but nothing too bad. 

Ken

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:54pm
I have an IFD540 installed with an S-Tec 30 plus GPSS and it works great. It also works fine with FF and IFD100. With FF I just do flight plan transfers (both ways work, but I do mostly IFD to FF). Don't have a GTX 345 so can't comment there.
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic