Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD TAWS issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dieselcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD TAWS issue
    Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 6:57pm
Had a bunch of new gear installed in my SR22 coming up 3 year in November.  540, 440, DFC90, Audio panel and remote transponder with ADS-B in and out.
Since the first test flight after 15 minutes I get a TAWS Display Unavailable on my MFD.  On top of this I loose terrain aural warnings as well as the 500ft call out on an approach.
Messed around with this for almost 3 years and no solution.  Avidyne has changed the IFD twice.  
The problem seems to be exacerbated by heat.  IE on a cold day when the aircraft at 50F the system operates fine for 20 to 25 minutes.  When it is hot out, today it was 90 for my test flight the problem happens within 2 minutes.
Have done all kinds of trouble shooting with my Avionics shop. 
Today the shop installed a Garmin 530 and I took it for a flight.  Almost a full hour and TAWS worked perfectly.  I had not heard the 500 ft call out on approach for so long it shocked me. Along with this I was getting all the terrain warnings due to the fact I was flying out of KGPI in Montana and was in close proximity to mountains along my test flight route.
When I landed, I grabbed some fuel.  When I jumped back in my aircraft I swapped out the 530 for the 540 IFD.  I took a video and while taxiing to my hanger for less than 2 minutes I get the TAWS Display Unavailable. 
This whole situation is really really frustrating.  
Any ideas out there????
cam
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 7:20pm
Here's a thought.  Maybe valid, maybe not.

Some features on the IFD require enablement.  There is a screen which shows what features are enabled.  TAWS is one of them I believe.

It is discussed in the PG.

Maybe not it.

David Gates
dieselcam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dieselcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 7:32pm
It is enabled, I wish I could upload a video on here.  I posted it on the Avidyne FB page. The unit works fine when cold, as soon as it gets hot as in the whole stack gets very warm the annunciator light on the left lights up and the TAWS screen goes blank the the message TAWS Unavailable. 
I installed a cooling fan for the stack, this helped.  As it the system works for 5 to 10 minutes longer depending on ambient temp.
With the old Garmin 530 installed everything works fine. 
Thanks 
cam
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:54pm
Time to give tech support a call.

* Orest
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 8:55am
I wish I had more concrete suggestions besides "call tech support," and I know it must be immensely frustrating-- but (because it's in someone else's plane) sounds like a fascinating mystery, and I hope Avi is able to help you solve it quickly.
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 11:49am
I have the exact configuration 440,540,DFC90 and remote transponder,  in my 2007 SR22, everything works fine. Been installed in the plane for over two years. I do live in Michigan so the weather is not crazy hot most days. 
dpcraig
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by dieselcam dieselcam wrote:

Any ideas out there????
Download logs from the MFD and send them to me.  From the video I see that it occurred at 19:54:27.  Was that on 9/4?

Edited by AviSteve - 05 Sep 2019 at 12:21pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic