Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Update nav data without PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update nav data without PC
    Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 2:15pm
For years and now, I download Jepp nav data using JSUM to my Windoze computer, transfer it to USB, go to the airport, plug the USB into the 540, do the update. If a cycle change happens while I am away from home, I usually lug my old laptop with me so that I can do the update. The laptop is a pain to carry around and has almost no other purpose anymore. I'd really like to stop using it for this purpose too.

I have WiFi in my hangar. For most updates, it would be nice to be able to download the updates directly into the 540. I can't find any evidence that this is possible.

Otherwise, and especially when away from home, I'd like to be able to download Jepp updates via my iPad. Again, no evidence that it's possible.

It's 2019. If it's not possible, please make it possible! Or am I missing another solution?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 3:45pm
I suspect that the FAA has concerns about inbound wifi connections with flight-critical data, and that's why we don't have this feature already.  It's probably either outright forbidden, or the certification process is overly burdensome.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 4:23pm
You really don't need to lug around the laptop, just the USB key, which is feather light.

I just check JSUM from time to time, and when there is an update available, I download it to my USB key, and then put the USB key back in my flight bag.

When, the 540 tells me an update is required, I just pull the USB key from my flight bag, and update it. Works quite well, whether I'm at home, or traveling.

FWIW, I don't have Wifi at the hangar  other than a cell connection, so it is much more convenient to do the actual download from Jepp at home, in my family room.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Sep 2019 at 4:24pm
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

...when there is an update available, I download it to my USB key, and then put the USB key back in my flight bag.

How do you do that when away from home without a laptop? I think that was the OP's question.

To the OP's idea, Jepp does have a free JDM app that can be downloaded from the app store and installed on an iPad.  It's designed to work with the Bad Elf Wombat (Sporty's $250), which has slots that will accept Garmin data cards and USB sticks.  

With your iPad connected to the internet (wifi or cellular), open the JDM app and download your navdata from Jeppesen.  Then wifi to the Wombat and transfer the data onto your navdata sticks/cards.

CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 5:03pm
Bad Elf might have the device for you then:  

https://bad-elf.com/pages/wombat-piston

It lets you use your phone to download the charts to this device, and then copy them to the USB stick for the IFD.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

How do you do that when away from home without a laptop? I think that was the OP's question.

You don't need the laptop, as the USB key has the update downloaded already (while still at home), and it is in my flight bag.

You are correct, that if it is a lengthy trip, you may need the laptop -- but typically on a longer trip I would bring it along, or you can use the computer in the hotel business office.

The Wombat solution is available, and may have application in some settings, but I would find it rather clunky for routine use with an IFD. It does make more sense for a Garmin steup, that uses an indwelling sim card.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Sep 2019 at 5:52pm
gherb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gherb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 10:26am
Can you use a public computer like at a business center at a hotel or a FedX Office? If you have to download the JdmApp and the public computer won't allow you, I would guess a manager could override that, download the app, then you could log out and delete the app. I agree there should be no need to haul around a laptop for a simple data download.
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 10:34am
Like Orest, I just keep a USB key ready to go.  I actually bought this one on Amazon:  https://amzn.to/34qdcos  since my Macbook only has USB-C ports on it.  This little gem has both USB-C and standard USB 1/2/3 ports on it.  PLUS, its very tiny and fits on my airplane keychain.   I keep it updated whenever I am home, so the next time I go to the plane (since its on my airplane keys) It's always ready.

Edited by CubedRoot - 05 Sep 2019 at 10:34am
gherb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gherb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 11:48am
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

Like Orest, I just keep a USB key ready to go.  I actually bought this one on Amazon:  https://amzn.to/34qdcos  since my Macbook only has USB-C ports on it.  This little gem has both USB-C and standard USB 1/2/3 ports on it.  PLUS, its very tiny and fits on my airplane keychain.   I keep it updated whenever I am home, so the next time I go to the plane (since its on my airplane keys) It's always ready.

I think the OP already does that but was referring to a new chart cycle popping up while he was already on a trip, so he was lugging a laptop to download the new charts. Since you can't simply log into the Jeppessen site to download, and you have to install the download manager, I think his best option is a public computer, or maybe one in a flight planning room of an FBO. If you use a public computer, remember to log out of the download manager or uninstall it.

The USB-C thing is so awkward. All these different cables...ugh! Going to check out your Amazon solution.
SteveMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 10:11pm
Yes, I can and do download Nav data to USB at home in advance, if the trip is short enough.

Installing JSUM on other people’s computers isn’t a good solution.

540 allows ForeFlight to upload routes via wireless. As stated above, 540 allows uploading Jepp data via Bad Elf Wombat. Is it such a stretch to connect these thoughts and allow a more direct Jepp upload capability? Why is a $250 intermediate device needed?

I understand it would take some work with FAA, but it seems worth it. Wireless would be best, but I’d be OK with plugging my iPad into 540 USB port via lightning cable.

Besides the issue of long trips, it would be nice to finally rid myself of the need to have a PC. I use it for little else. I live on my iPad.
Flying_Monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 10:52pm
For the amount that they charge for the data they should have an iOS app that works with something like the San disk iXpand drive.

Really, how long would it take someone to code an iOS version of the JDM app, which is almost as basic an app as you can imagine? Would be really nice to be able to download onto your phone or iPad and plug the usb stick in there.  Come on Jepp let’s move things into the 2010s before we move out of them!
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Flying_Monkey Flying_Monkey wrote:

Come on Jepp let’s move things into the 2010s before we move out of them!

A lot to ask for a company that can't even do a useful website :(
SteveMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:35am
I have learned from this:
  1. Jeppesen JDM Mobile app exists today but is tied to Wombat.
  2. There are USB solutions for iOS and Lightning port.
I will contact Jeppesen and make the obvious suggestion.
SteveMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 11:22am
FWIW, my support case has been escalated and marked “development needed”. So it’s not a “no”! TBD whether it’s a black hole, though.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by SteveMcD SteveMcD wrote:

FWIW, my support case has been escalated and marked “development needed”. So it’s not a “no”! TBD whether it’s a black hole, though.

I'm surprised to hear that.  Thought for sure there was a financial reason they wanted to work with Wombat instead of the obvious.  Good for you for making the effort, even if it turns out to be a black hole.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic