Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

540 and Aspens sharing ADS-B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sltx1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 540 and Aspens sharing ADS-B
    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 12:34pm
So just did major revamp in our Baron with Aspen 2500, Avidyne IFD 540, and Lynx NGT 9000. My only let down is it appears to be that we can only display the ADS-B from the lynx on the either the Aspen or Avidyne not both. Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution.
Thanks in advance.
Adam

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 7:38pm

I have that issue as well.  Although the TAS-style traffic (diamonds with up/down arrows) can be shown on the IFD at the same time weather and traffic are displayed on the Aspens, weather and the newer-style traffic symbols (triangles with vectors) will not show on the IFD in this configuration.

The issue has to do with the ports available for transmitting that data to/from the NGT, Aspens and IFD.  While the RS422 connection from the NGT to the IFD does carry the old-style traffic, it does not carry weather.  That (and the new style traffic) are transmitted via RS232 to the Aspens (or apparently can be transmitted that way instead to the IFD).  But there is only one such port on the NGT.

I have read that a functional workaround involves daisy chaining to the IFD the RS232 connection that carries weather and new-style traffic from the NGT to the Aspens (which are already daisy chained when more than one Aspen is involved). This way both weather and the new-style traffic do display on both the Aspens and the IFD.

The potential problem with this workaround is that it may not comply with the Aspen STC.

I have not attempted this workaround as of yet in my single-Aspen/NGT9000/IFD540 setup because 1)  I don't use the IFD to primarily view traffic (that is done on the iPad) and the old-style traffic is sufficient as a backup on the IFD, 2) likewise, weather is more useful to me on the iPad so it isn't missed on the IFD, and 3) I don't want to run afoul of any STC.

While I don't rely much on the Aspen PFD for display of traffic and weather, it is there if I want to use it.  Of course, with your second MFD screen, those functions are more useful.

p.s.  I just saw that you posted this question on beechtalk, as well, and that is where I've obtained the most useful information on this topic.

EDIT:  Based upon other posts, it is the ARINC 429 port on the Lynx that carries only the old-style traffic info, and the RS-422 port carries both weather and the new-style traffic.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 14 Aug 2019 at 5:54am
sltx1050 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sltx1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:42pm
I appreciate it appears from a couple sources that the 10.2.3.1 software plus Max panel upgrades alleviate this issue entirely.
Thanks
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 4:10pm
AFAIK traffic is transmitted across the ARINC 429 lines and is received separate from the weather on both Aspen and Avidyne.
Weather is transmitted on the RS 422 connection. The problem has been the configuration requirements are different between the Aspen/Avidyne units, not the piggyback or connections. 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 4:12pm
Both traffic and Wx can come in RS-232 for the IFD series,  in fact the Avi manual indicates that RS-232 is preferred.

This was changed an upgrade or two ago.

Edited by ddgates - 13 Aug 2019 at 4:12pm
David Gates
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:24pm
It seems that with the number of times this issue comes up in this and other forums, someone from Avidyne could speak definitively to the issue, particularly as Avidyne has been promoting an IFD/Lynx bundle for some time now.  Granted, the Aspen adds an additional twist, but why should this question be so difficult to answer with any degree of certainty?  

Edited by AZ Flyer - 14 Aug 2019 at 6:19am
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:59pm
Notes below are from the IFD installation manual rev. 13

Note: Only ARINC 429 Traffic is shared between IFDs on the CrossSync line, all other ARINC 429 devices should be wired to both IFDs in dual IFD installations since ARINC 429 data is not shared between IFDs on the CrossSync line.

IFDXXX ARINC429 receive setting: GDL 88 Traffic at High Speed…. GTX 345 ARINC429 transmit setting: Traffic

these settings work for me with the GTX345. 

I do not have weather displayed (input) to the IFD 540.

jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:44am
I have this working in my aircraft. Both my Aspen Pro and my IFD-540 receive traffic and weather from a Lynx. Just ignore what the Lynx’ manual says about the dual connection as it’s based on outdated assumptions on the IFD’s ability to accept high baud rate data. 

You wire the Lynx’ RS-422 out to both the Aspen and the IFD’s RS-232 inputs. Your IFD needs to have software 10.2.3.x as prior software versions could only handle low speed data. Set all devices to 115kbps. The IFD’s RS-232 in port needs to be set to ‘Capstone HS TFc+Wx’ and the Aspen’s RS-232 in port to ‘ADS-B type 3’. You’ll need an unlock for the Aspen. 

You can not use the IFD’s RS-232 out port with the same number for a low speed connection

Edited by jhbehrens - 14 Aug 2019 at 3:46am
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:50am
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

I have this working in my aircraft. Both my Aspen Pro and my IFD-540 receive traffic and weather from a Lynx. Just ignore what the Lynx’ manual says about the dual connection as it’s based on outdated assumptions on the IFD’s ability to accept high baud rate data. 

You wire the Lynx’ RS-422 out to both the Aspen and the IFD’s RS-232 inputs. Your IFD needs to have software 10.2.3.x as prior software versions could only handle low speed data. Set all devices to 115kbps. The IFD’s RS-232 in port needs to be set to ‘Capstone HS TFc+Wx’ and the Aspen’s RS-232 in port to ‘ADS-B type 3’. You’ll need an unlock for the Aspen. 

You can not use the IFD’s RS-232 out port with the same number for a low speed connection

This is very helpful.  Do you have the wiring diagram, or know of the adapter used, to wire the two RS-232 lines to the Lynx's RS-422 output?

Edited by AZ Flyer - 14 Aug 2019 at 6:21am
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:32am
See below from the latest Lynx IM rev V. I notice it now correctly says you can connect and Aspen and an Avidyne in parallel.

Its the wire coming from P1-53 on the Lynx. The other Aspen-Lynx wiring is to get the Lynx air data.

Edited by jhbehrens - 18 Aug 2019 at 6:39am
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:39pm
Thanks!

Edited by AZ Flyer - 18 Aug 2019 at 12:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic