Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is needed to display wind vector on IFD540
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is needed to display wind vector on IFD540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is needed to display wind vector on IFD540
    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 7:55pm
What Air Data Computers are compatible with IFD540 so that the IFD can show wind vector calculation in Wind Data Block?

Will a Garmin G5 do that?  If so, does it need an add-on module?
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 12:33am
I had the same question, at the time I installed things  (a year ago) the G5 wouldn't play nice with the IFD's,  I got a Sandi SAC 7-35 and it seems to work well with the IFD550.  I even get speed and altitude tapes on the IFD100. 

Looking at the install manual and doing a quick search, I don't think the G5 outputs air data information, even though it uses it internally.  Wish it did. 

Edited by wb8wka - 01 Aug 2019 at 12:34am
bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 2:42pm
There is a new GAD13 module that gives OAT to the G5. With that, the G5 will give wind vectors and some other info. Since I have two G5’s I’m curious to see what data will show up in my 540 if/when I install the GAD13.
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 3:14pm
It's got to OUTPUT air data to the IFD550/540/440. A year and a few months ago I was all ready to buy a Aspen E5... which claims it's also a Air Data Computer (ADC), but it only uses it internally for the display. To get ADC out, you had to upgrade to the $10,000 model.  At that time the Garmin G5 was the same... ADC only for internal use. The Sandi SAC 7-35 was the lowest cost solution that would give me what CAVU is asking for. 

That said, if you find out the G5 does now output ADC information, which there is no reason it shouldn't, let me know. I'll buy one in a heart beat.  I checked the install manual last night and it still didn't seem to. 

Edited by wb8wka - 01 Aug 2019 at 3:14pm
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 3:30pm
I’ve got dual G5’s as well and an IFD 550. I’m intrigued by G’s new GAD13 as well. Having wind data on the G5 would be nice but if that wind data (and subsequent airspeed rather than groundspeed) could be displayed on the 550 SV page that would be super awesome.
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 2:52am
I've got an Aspen E5 in my panel,  Its supposedly been wired into my IFD540.  How can I tell what data is being (or should be) sent from my Aspen to the IFD?
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 6:10am
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

I've got an Aspen E5 in my panel,  Its supposedly been wired into my IFD540.  How can I tell what data is being (or should be) sent from my Aspen to the IFD?

I've got the E5 with a 440..I think the data is pretty much a one way street. E5 gets data from Avidyne (CDI and GS) but nothing the other way.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:30am
We went through this before with the Aspen pro, which may be relevant.

If you have the airdate in the Aspen output stream (as ARINC 429), and it goes through an ACU, only limited labels are passed through.  That list was posted by Jake a few years ago on this board, and can be found by a search.

The verbiage of the previous Aspen IM did not permit a direct connection though the data was there; ultimately Aspen revised its IM and that connection was permitted.

In my case I needed the ACU to connect to my analog autopilot; the workaround we did was to change the connection to parallel, bypassing the ACU in the IFD data stream.  Thus; my IFD540s get airdata. 

I don't know if this is applicable to the E5, but it might relate.

Anyway, my Aspen Pro EFD is the data source which allows my IFDs to calculate a wind vector.

YMMV.

Edited by ddgates - 02 Aug 2019 at 8:32am
David Gates
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:58am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

We went through this before with the Aspen pro, which may be relevant.

If you have the airdate in the Aspen output stream (as ARINC 429), and it goes through an ACU, only limited labels are passed through.  That list was posted by Jake a few years ago on this board, and can be found by a search.

The verbiage of the previous Aspen IM did not permit a direct connection though the data was there; ultimately Aspen revised its IM and that connection was permitted.

In my case I needed the ACU to connect to my analog autopilot; the workaround we did was to change the connection to parallel, bypassing the ACU in the IFD data stream.  Thus; my IFD540s get airdata. 

I don't know if this is applicable to the E5, but it might relate.

Anyway, my Aspen Pro EFD is the data source which allows my IFDs to calculate a wind vector.

YMMV.

Interesting, thanks for posting...Where does the Aspen Pro get its OAT info from to pass on, does it have an external temp probe?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 11:55am
The ASPEN has an OAT sensor in the RSM.

When the paperwork allowed, I did exactly the same thing that ddgates describes. Parallel out the 429 connection to the IFD, to bypass the ACU.

* Orest
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

The ASPEN has an OAT sensor in the RSM.

When the paperwork allowed, I did exactly the same thing that ddgates describes. Parallel out the 429 connection to the IFD, to bypass the ACU.

* Orest

I wonder if the same holds true for the E5?  It doesn't ship with an ACU, and I also wonder if the E5 RSM contains an OAT probe as well?  
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 12:57pm
The E5 RSM is different from the regular Pro/MAX unit, but I believe it lacks only the GPS sensor, which is used for emergency reversion.

That said, the STC has been extended by now, and you can install the regular, full package, "Pro/MAX" RSM with GPS/magnotometer/OAT even if you install an E5 -- obviously you could upgrade to the MAX at some time in the future.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Aug 2019 at 12:57pm
matthewsjl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matthewsjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 11:21am
This is the modification to the Aspen wiring to get the labels across to the GPS (this mod was used on the GNS-480 to get the baro to push across and carried over to the IFD-540 and I get wind data). The difference from the standard diagram is that you don't use the ACU pins 4/5 to feed the GPS but piggy back off the lines coming from the PFD1000 to the ACU. I think there are more labels available from the PFD vs the ACU.

During my installation, I spoke to my Aspen rep and he mentioned wiring an RS-232 from the PFD to the GPS. There seem to be more/additional labels on the RS-232 output that could be used....... this is actually in the Aspen IM:

Aspen have said that wiring both is per the IM and that there won't be a conflict. The IFD should just use the latest information for a label block as received by either the 429 or 232 lines.

John

Edited by matthewsjl - 03 Aug 2019 at 11:26am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 12:29pm
Yes, the ACU-1 truncates the 429 data stream to, as I recall, 4 labels.  The ACU-II (more $$) passes them through.

Paralelling the PFD output bypassing the Aspen --> IFD connection avoids that.
David Gates
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:57am
The E5 now has an unlock for air data:

https://aspenavionics.com/news/aspen-avionics-announces-new-features-and-functions-for-the-evolution-e5-electronic-flight-instrument-efi/

What would this enable on the IFD 540?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 6:05am
Originally posted by bneub111 bneub111 wrote:

There is a new GAD13 module that gives OAT to the G5. With that, the G5 will give wind vectors and some other info. Since I have two G5’s I’m curious to see what data will show up in my 540 if/when I install the GAD13.

Do you have an update on this? Did you install the GAD13 and what does the G5/GAD13 now give you on the IFD?

G5 is on the CAN bus so output to other devices such as the IFD need an additional GAD29(B) which converts the CAN bus data to Arinc 429 output, which is what I assume you currently have/had pre-GAD13.

I frankly don't understand why Avidyne doesn't publish a list of the Arinc labels that it needs and/or uses as ADC/EFIS input, rather than just listing devices that it supports as sources. That would make planning for purchase decision-making much easier given the dynamic nature of developments in this area. As far as I know, wind vector is not in itself transmitted between devices, rather it is calculated based on TAS and Heading (per IFD UG). The G5 needs OAT in order to calculate and output TAS on Arinc 429.

Edited by chflyer - 01 Mar 2020 at 6:05am
Vince
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

The E5 now has an unlock for air data:

https://aspenavionics.com/news/aspen-avionics-announces-new-features-and-functions-for-the-evolution-e5-electronic-flight-instrument-efi/

What would this enable on the IFD 540?

I don't think it enables anything new in the IFD, just the display of air data info on the E5.

You should already have all of the air data going from the Aspen to the IFD so it can calculate TAS/DA/Wind calculator and datablock, provided you have both the ARINC 429 in (set to Honeywell EFIS) and RS-232 in (set to Shadin-fadc). You also should already have the ability to auto-sequence missed approaches due to detecting airspeed/pressure altitude.

Edited by skitheo - 14 Mar 2020 at 1:56pm
9krpm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9krpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:06pm
Does the Dynon HDX transmit this info to the IFD540?
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by 9krpm 9krpm wrote:

Does the Dynon HDX transmit this info to the IFD540?

If your installation includes the ARINC 429 and RS-232 lines out of the HDX into the IFD, then yes. This information stream is required for auto-sequencing missed approach procedures, in addition to the calculators.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic