Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD550

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt.Caveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD550
    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 10:15pm
I just had a 550 installed and flew at night...the auto dimmer on the 550 display and bezel are too bright...so when i went into the 550 setting and used “display back light”...when you turn it down...it very slowly decreases the backlight...and then the next click it is too much. Anyone seen this?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 10:29pm
Change it from the default Avi-curve.

* Orest
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 10:36pm
Here is a clip from my dialog with Avidyne that fixed the same issue for me. Check your install manual also. 

----

The IFD is currently set up for AviCurve as the dimBus curve.  That's expecting there to be a dimming rheostat wired to the IFD itself, and it's expecting that rheostat to have a "DAY" detent which traditionally drops the dimming bus voltage to 0.00VDC.  The dimBus transition percentage is set to 10%.  What this means is that above 10% the photocell is in charge, if ambient lighting causes the photocell to drop below 10% it kicks over to the rheostat input.  Since we don't have a rheostat input here, it sees 0.00VDC so the IFD is jumping to "DAY" mode which = "Full Bright".  

This should be corrected by changing the dimBus transition % to 0% and changing the Curve to "Proportional".  Here are the applicable excerpts from the installation manual.

dimBus Transition % 
The dimBus Transition % sets the threshold where the aircraft dimming bus takes over from the photocell. Below this threshold, the aircraft dimmer controls the IFD5XX/4XX lighting. Both the Bezel and Display fields have a range of 0 to 100, and the factory default is 10. 

Note: If it is not desired to hand brightness control over to the dimming bus from the photocell at any point, set dimBus Transition % to 0 (zero). Doing so will prevent the scenario where, in increasingly darker environments (e.g. flying past sunset into dark night), the display automatically dims and dims and dims and then suddenly jumps to bright.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic