Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD and Foreflight Synchronization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotthess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD and Foreflight Synchronization
    Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:06pm
I'm able to push flight plans from Foreflight to the IFD-440 but can't seem to figure out how to update Foreflight if I make a route change on the IFD. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Edited by scotthess - 20 Jul 2019 at 9:49pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 10:47pm
I used to have an issue like you describe if I also had the IFD100 app running. I think the issue was fixed in the latest release of the firmware. I used FF with my IFD540 today,and was able to push flight plans in both directions. I had the iPad connected to the IFD network.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 10:54pm
If you make a route change in the IFD, I found you have to push the new flightplan to FF again.  It doesn't happen automatically just because you had pushed the previous plan to FF.
scotthess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotthess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:06pm
Hmm.. yeah I figured it wouldn't just update the route on FF but I did attempt to download the flight plan from the IFD to FF after say, skipping a waypoint and going direct on the IFD. But the FF route didn't change. Firmware is the latest...
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:22pm
Agreed. After skipping a waypoint on the IFD, FF doesn’t know that either. You have to tell FF what segment of the route you are on. (At least that has been my experience). Once you are on the correct segment on FF, it seems to follow along fine. 

Edited by teeth6 - 20 Jul 2019 at 11:23pm
scotthess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotthess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:30pm
Got it... so basically if I modify a route in the IFD I need to do the same thing in FF? 

Thank you for your help.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:37pm
Yes. You first push the new route to FF and then tell FF what segment of the route you are on.  Obviously, your plane will be positioned properly on the map showing it on the route, but in the flight plan section above the map, you must make the proper segment active. 
scotthess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotthess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:23am
Thanks will give it a try!
Flying_Monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:31am
I don't understand why a Garmin navigator in a Cirrus can push sync flight plans to Foreflight but the IFD cannot.  The capability is obviously there in Foreflight.  In a friend's Cirrus the other day Foreflight continuously updated itself when a change was made on the plane's panel navigator.  So Foreflight is capable of this which means that Avidyne is choosing not to pursue this feature.  I for one would really like to see this happen- it is very impractical to have to manually push the flight plan back to FF after every change on the IFD.  I understand why it would not be enabled the reverse direction for legal reasons - like you don't want FF changing the IFD plan unless specifically commanded to do so, but synchronization in the direction of IFD TO FF would be very useful.

Who's with me!?

bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Flying_Monkey Flying_Monkey wrote:

I don't understand why a Garmin navigator in a Cirrus can push sync flight plans to Foreflight but the IFD cannot.  The capability is obviously there in Foreflight.  In a friend's Cirrus the other day Foreflight continuously updated itself when a change was made on the plane's panel navigator.  So Foreflight is capable of this which means that Avidyne is choosing not to pursue this feature.  I for one would really like to see this happen- it is very impractical to have to manually push the flight plan back to FF after every change on the IFD.  I understand why it would not be enabled the reverse direction for legal reasons - like you don't want FF changing the IFD plan unless specifically commanded to do so, but synchronization in the direction of IFD TO FF would be very useful.

Who's with me!?

I agree, that would be very nice.  I don’t use the IFD100 app, it only connects properly about half the time, so FF is always running on my iPad. 
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 10:51am
I actually prefer consciously pushing the flight plan in either direction. FF is a separate electronic flight bag from the IFD, not just a display of what the IFD is doing. The latter is what the IFD100 does.

I sometimes make a change in one device to check things out or plan ahead, and wouldn’t necessarily want it changing things on the other device. Pressing a button to move a plan over when I am ready for the action works better for me. I’d rather have independent subsystems that can exchange information only when I tell them to. 

Maybe FF could have an option to auto transfer a flight plan to/from the IFD. It could check for changes every so often. I wouldn’t want the IFD to do it, and it is likely easier to get such software features implemented on the FF side. 
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:28pm
There is an option in ForeFlight to “Automatically Receive Flight Plans”. When turned on, it only works with Garmin products, not the IFD.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Melohn Melohn wrote:

There is an option in ForeFlight to “Automatically Receive Flight Plans”. When turned on, it only works with Garmin products, not the IFD.

Then I formally make a feature request for the IFD navigators to be compatible with this feature of Foreflight.  Looks like only upside for everyone.  Avidyne, can y'all make this happen?
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:53pm
ForeFlight currently initiates the flight plan transfer all on its own when you tap an icon. It seems it should be able to do so without having to do anything on the IFD side. maybe a feature request for ForeFlight?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 1:06am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

ForeFlight currently initiates the flight plan transfer all on its own when you tap an icon. It seems it should be able to do so without having to do anything on the IFD side. maybe a feature request for ForeFlight?

I think you're missing the point.  When you change the plane en route on the IFD, the IFD must either 1)send the plan to Foreflight or 2) Let Foreflight know the plan is changed so FF can initiate plan transfer.  Foreflight needs to know that a new plan is ready to be received....  
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:39am
I don’t see an IFD feature to initiate a flight plan transfer. The EFB is responsible for that, and could poll the IFD every so often to see if the FP has changed. The EFB (ForFlight or any other one) could do this all on its own. The EFB could make it work in either direction too.

Edited by HenryM - 21 Aug 2019 at 7:40am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

I don’t see an IFD feature to initiate a flight plan transfer. The EFB is responsible for that, and could poll the IFD every so often to see if the FP has changed. The EFB (ForFlight or any other one) could do this all on its own. The EFB could make it work in either direction too.

True. I wonder how the Garmin integration actually works. In any case I think avidyne could work with foreflight to make it happen.
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 11:31pm
ForeFlight is responsible for initially transferring the Flight Plan to a Navigator. On Garmin, that creates a message that a flight plan is waiting to be accepted, either as a stored route or as the active flight plan. On the IFD, it is stored as just another flight plan, which can then be made active.

With the “Receive Flight Plan” option turned on in ForeFlight, any changes to the active flight plan on the Garmin are also sent to the ForeFlight plan seamlessly. That’s missing from the IFD; you can ask ForeFlight to manually transfer the active flight plan back to the iPad, but it doesn’t happen automatically.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:32am
True.  Plus after sending a new or changed flight plan to FF you still after tell it what leg of the plan you are on.  Not a big deal in my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic