Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AXP 322 fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote embpic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AXP 322 fault
    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 1:27pm
I recently had an IFD 540 installed with dual G5s, GAD29b and AXP322.  I am getting a transponder fault and was hoping to get some help.  My friend (Avionics tech) that installed it is unavailable for this week and I was hoping it might be something in the config settings.  The install manual does not really reference the G5s or the GAD29b.

So here is the problem.  After the install everything checked out fine.  However after about 5 minutes in the air I get a 'Xpdr fault' message.  The transponder does work until the fault message appears.  I have had ATC radar identify me before the fault occurs.  After the fault ATC only has a primary target on me.  I cycled the power ater landing and the fault immediately appears again.  Only after sitting for an extended period does the transponder work again for 5-10 minutes after takeoff.  I am getting the correct GND and ALT indications for the transponder.

I am hoping it is something in the settings.  Here is how it is currently set up.

Main ARINC 429 Config
         Speed       Data
-In1     Low        Garmin GDU
-In2     Low        off
-Out1  Low         GAMA 429
-Out2  Low         Off

Main RS232 config
              Input       Output
CH1        Off           MapMx
CH2        AXP322   AXP 322
All other Channels are Off

Remote Xpdr
1090 Mhz receiver-   Yes
UAT reciever          -   No
Squat input           -   Avidyne

embpic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote embpic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 1:31pm
Also the software has not been updated to 10.2.3.1 yet.
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:51am

I don't know about the AXP322, but on the Garmin GDL-82 the fault light comes on primarily under 2 conditions:

1) Loss of position data
2) Loss of altitude data

You did not indicate that you are losing GPS reception, so make sure that the 540 is getting altitude data from an encoder.

Gene

Gene
embpic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote embpic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:04pm
Well I downloaded the logs and think I found the problem.  Right before the fault message is displayed there is an error that says 'AXP322:Tx Power Low'.  From what I can find it would seem the cable or antenna is causing a problem.  My installer is going to make a new cable and bring a new antenna and see it that helps.

Edited by embpic - 18 Jul 2019 at 8:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic