Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Suggestion for Updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Suggestion for Updates
    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 8:17am
After all the activity around 10.2.3.1, may I suggest:
- there are not enough Avidyne dealers
- many shops (dealer or not) are not available or interested in doing IFD software updates
- it would seem that more updates are going to be coming down the road as the IFDs full potential is realized through firmware upgrades

_SO_ owner assisted/A&P updates are likely to be the process for the short term and probably intermediate feature.
_AND_ there is some apprehension from A&Ps about doing and signing off as well.

I think we users largely don't see the current process as either comfortable, convenient, or viable in the long term.

We all want to see Avidyne succeed, and the IFDs continue to acquire new capabilities.  So why not embrace the owner/A&P reality?

I would suggest Avi develop and sell an IFD docking station (like there was for the G* 530).  That way, the vagaries around power continuity should not be a consideration.  Updates, then, would just involve pulling the unit (an A&P can do this without issue), situate it on the docking station on a desk or bench, and follow the firmware update guide.  Then, when finished, return the unit to the radio stack.  Done!

Avi could even do this as a remote service if they wanted.  Dock the unit, log it onto the ambient wifi, and do this remotely (as is done now in the network world by most IT help desks).

I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount for a dock.  It could even be multi-purpose for unit training and orientation, though I would not want my units to be slid in and out of the radio stack more times than necessary.

David Gates
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 10:27pm
Wouldn't a G 430/530 docking station work for the IFDs? You can get third party 430/530 docking stations at Sporty's or Aircraft Spruce. The IFDs are supposed to be plug compatible with the Garmins, so a Garmin-compatible docking station oughta do the job.

Mike

CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 11:52am
The fact that these firmware updates are few and far between may not warrant all the extra attention?  I mean how often does Avidyne release these sort of updates?
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 10:06pm
Avidyne has already embraced “the owner/A&P reality” with multiple forum posts expressing appreciation to Avidyne for implementing the new process. See Steve’s post:
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

As promised, we have now streamlined the process for getting the 10.2.3.1 software update. We still recommend that you get it done by a dealer, but it's your call. First, you have to go to fill out this form. Read the terms and conditions. When you submit the form, you'll get a link to the software.
A docking station will introduce additional opportunities for something to go wrong during an upgrade – unit not fully seated, intermittent connections. The same when putting the IFD back in the aircraft. An apprehensive shop or A&P will be even less likely to work with an owner if the IFD must be pulled from the aircraft and put in a docking station. Ensuring continuous power seems like the easiest part of the upgrade. All shops have GPUs. They won’t need or want to get a docking station as well, which will just introduce additional complexity. My unit is working just fine in the aircraft. Regardless of other options, I will only do the upgrade in the aircraft. For training outside the aircraft, the sim seems to work just fine. I suspect that there just isn’t a market for a docking station.
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic