Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Band ADSB In Solution?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Band ADSB In Solution?
    Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:17am
I'm asking one more time before I get rid of my AXP-340...

Is there any dual band ADSB-In solution on the horizon?

Thanks,

Rolfe

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:34pm
Following with interest.
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:47pm
Following for the same reason...I'd like to know.

I have an AXP340 and a Skytrax 100.... I have been dissapointed with its performance, and single-bandedness.  It's sort of sad that my homebuilt Stratux picks up more traffic than the many thousand dollar AXP340 / Skytrax 100 combo.

bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 9:59am
+1
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 10:00pm
You might have to squint to see it on the horizon.  I can't tell you our groundspeed, but it's not zero.  
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

You might have to squint to see it on the horizon.  I can't tell you our groundspeed, but it's not zero.  

Does this mean there might be some sort of upgrade love for us that bought an entire Avidyne stack, and are not happy with the Skytrax 100?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 10:17pm
That's a question for the sales team.  I'm just the engineering guy...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:14pm
Ideally, it should be something that:
Receives dual-band
Can be anonymous (has a UAT-only out mode)
Produces traffic audio alerts

bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:23pm
David - Not understanding why a dual-band IN solution would need an anonymous OUT mode, unless of course you’re thinking of an all-in-one solution to replace our AXP340s.
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 9:15am
FYI, in response to an email inquiry, I received this from Freeflight Systems yesterday:

Good Afternoon Rolfe,
We are currently working on getting a dual band version of our RANGR Systems certified and expect to be in production of these units in October.  Would you need an internal WAAS/GPS within the box or not?  We will have both options available.  I have attached a specification sheet detailed all of our RANGR ADS-B In options including our dual band options that will soon be available.

Please let us know more about your aircraft and we would be happy to send you a quote.

Sincerely,
Clayton Maderia
Channel Sales Manager | FreeFlight Systems
1 (254) 230–3489 | cmaderia@freeflightsystems.com
8080 Tristar Suite 100 | Irving, TX

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vyya5u6fr2am84/RANGR%20RX%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf?dl=0

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 2:44pm
Nice to hear of an actual date. I had just been getting a nebulous "we're working on it" before. 
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:36pm
Good to know because my MLB100 doesn't see but about half the traffic that shows up on my active traffic system (Flightwatch).

Will it be fairly easy to replace the MLB100 with an FDL-978-RXD using the same antenna and wiring?
Ron L
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

FYI, in response to an email inquiry, I received this from Freeflight Systems yesterday:

Good Afternoon Rolfe,
We are currently working on getting a dual band version of our RANGR Systems certified and expect to be in production of these units in October.  Would you need an internal WAAS/GPS within the box or not?  We will have both options available.  I have attached a specification sheet detailed all of our RANGR ADS-B In options including our dual band options that will soon be available.

Please let us know more about your aircraft and we would be happy to send you a quote.

Sincerely,
Clayton Maderia

Will it interface with IFD 440 and MFD EX5000 to display weather and traffic?
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

Good Afternoon Rolfe,

Sincerely,
Clayton Maderia

Will it interface with IFD 440 and MFD EX5000 to display weather and traffic?

Well, that is certainly the idea. But the question should really be posed to FreeFlight.

I am under the impression that these data exchange standards are open and non-proprietary, but I may be wrong.

Rolfe

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic