Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lynx to IFD540 for ADS-B Traffic and Weather

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lynx to IFD540 for ADS-B Traffic and Weather
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:29pm
What specific connection(s) and settings are required in order to see full ADS-B traffic (i.e. triangles with speed vectors and not just diamonds) and weather from the Lynx on the IFD540?  At present, I am only seeing diamond traffic and no weather on the IFD540.

Now that the IFD will stream traffic and weather to Foreflight, I want to be able to take advantage of that capability.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 30 May 2019 at 12:47pm
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:11pm
I just found this link that appears to answer my question:  http://www.avidynelive.com/connecting-with-an-ngt-9000_topic849&OB=DESC_page3.html.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 30 May 2019 at 1:12pm
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 1:22pm
I think that page is ancient.    To get the full ADS-B display from the Lynx, you need to use (only) an RS-232 input (from a Lynx RS-422 output; twisted pair from the NGT to the first RS-232 receiver, where the "-" side of the diff pair gets grounded.)

Both traffic and weather have to be delivered over the RS-232 channel.  The IFD install manual has another restriction on the RS-232 channel used - the paired 232 TX output cannot be configured in certain modes.   Plan wisely.

Originally, the Lynx operated at 115.2 kbps, which the IFD did not support.  That was resolved a few IFD software releases ago.   That has been described in other threads with pictures of the appropriate ADS-B "lawn dart" traffic symbols.

Edited by AzAv8r - 02 Jun 2019 at 1:23pm
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 9:02pm
Thanks!
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:16am
With release 10.2.3.1, if you use a high baud rate (115kbps) RS-232 connection between the Lynx and the IFD, you need to select 'Capstone HS Wx+Trfc' as the protocol in maintenance mode. 

Also, you cannot have a low speed RS-232 protocol set on the RS-232 OUT port with the same number as the IN port you have the Lynx connected to.

If you use a low speed connection the above doesn't apply.
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 5:43pm
Apologies if this is going over old ground but our installers are having trouble configuring our new kit.  In our Cirrus SR20G2 we now have:

EXP5000 PFD with R8.0.6
EX5000C MFD with R8.2.1 (awaiting R8.2.2)
IFD440 x 2 with 10.2.3.1
NGT9000+
DFC90
PMA8000G
WX500
KN63 DME
ACK E-04 ELT
Golze ADL150B for sat wx

According to the NGT9000 IM Rev V, the RS422 TxA & TxB should be used for connecting the IFDs (Fig C6) and also the MFD (Fig C9).  But can they both be used at the same time, or are there port speed or other compatibility issues that make that impracticable?

And if RS232 Ch1 is used for input to the IFDs, what does that do to the RS232 Ch1 Aviation output data going to the ELT and ADL150?  The only common baud rate those 2 units have is 9600.

We're keen to maximise the potential of our investment but the evolving interconnect data and advice still leaves some gaps in our understanding

Thanks in advance

Colin

jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 5:00pm
The Lynx’ output can be connected to two devices, provided they can handle the same baud rate.

The IFD with software 10.2.3.1 can only have both input and output devices connected to the same rs-232 port number if both are either high speed or low speed.

Suggest you move the ADL to another output port. I use 2 for my ADL. Port 3 is reserved for IFD interconnects so should already be in use in your installation. Any other will work.

I see you have a WX500. Make sure you only use the Lynx as its controller, so don’t connect its input port to the IFDs or the MFD.

Edited by jhbehrens - 16 Jul 2019 at 5:07pm
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 5:18pm
Thanks for that, our installer made progress last week when they had the centre stack out again.  I'm due to collect later this week but believe the Lynx-IFD connections are now as they should be.

Do you have a reference please for the RS232 In/Out ports on the same channel needing to be the same speed?  That's one reference I haven't found yet.  I proposed they move the ADL - and ACK E-04 ELT, more importantly  - to Port 2 but await confirmation it's happened.

The MFD to WX500 TX line has been disconnected but I'm awaiting confirmation that the Lynx is now controlling it successfully.

And tomorrow we should receive the MFD 8.2.2 software card :-)

Colin
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 5:23pm
PS The link to the dealertraining website shows no results either directly or by searching for IFD5xx etc etc  Are you able to PM me the article please?
C
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:03pm
the link was to a training slide deck that contained the info that low and high speed cannot be mixed on the same port number but it seems to have disappeared. I don’t have it anymore, maybe ask avidyne support?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic