Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - No FIS-B storm cell/icing/lightning for SkyTrax
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No FIS-B storm cell/icing/lightning for SkyTrax

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No FIS-B storm cell/icing/lightning for SkyTrax
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:16am
We've had several threads about the "new" FIS-B weather products that the FAA added to the ADS-B stream. 

My understanding, reinforced by threads like this one, was that the 10.2.3.1 update would allow the IFD to display all the new products. It turns out that isn't true, according to p4-24 of rev7 of the pilot's guide. There's a table there that says storm cells, icing, and datalink lightning data are "not yet displayed if the source is a SkyTrax 100". That matches my limited testing the other day, in which I saw lightning and icing level data displayed in Foreflight (i.e. streamed from SkyTrax to IFD to FF) but not on the IFD itself.

I'm hoping Steve or Kelly can clarify what "not yet" means in this context, and maybe share some info about when we might expect to see these products displayed on the IFD itself.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:57pm
I guess you interpreted "yet" to infer that the 10.2.3.1 update will allow the IFD to display the new products?  That's certainly not the case, and I don't recall ever having said that it would be.

IFD support for the new products is planned for release 10.3.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 2:11pm
Thanks for the clarification, Steve-- I didn't remember anyone from Avi ever saying that these products would be displayed in 10.2.3.1  but nonetheless I did get that impression from somewhere-or-other. It was obviously wishful thinking on my part. I'll look forward to seeing these displayed in 10.3; meanwhile, they display perfectly well in Foreflight so I'm a happy camper.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic