Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Last trip memory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgs101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last trip memory
    Posted: 04 May 2019 at 3:57pm
I was thinking how nice it would be if the 540 remembered the last flight-plan after startup, without having to save it or enter the reverse route. Just tap on a reverse route button and off you go.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 10:51pm
Agreed.

If I’m doing a long cross country with a fuel stop I try to load the next leg while taxiing to the fuel depot but it will be gone after restart.

It’s handy to have.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:10am
just save your flight plan as a route and then reload it upon startup.  I’ll also add that it is not good practice to be “eyes inside” while taxiing.

Edited by Gring - 31 Jul 2019 at 6:11am
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 9:55pm
This was discussed under "Suggestions for 10.3".  What percentage of the time will your next flight be a reverse of the previous flight, especially IFR?  Entering a flight plan while taxiing in is no different than entering a flight plan while taxiing out.  The "Route Function" does a great job of remembering flight plans and they are simple to load.  In most cases, I think this capability would be an annoyance - having to clear out what is there before entering your next flight.  Below are my comments from the other thread.  Not all apply to this context but some certainly do.

In regard to remembering the last leg upon startup, I prefer to start with a clean slate.  Things can change between shutdown and startup on how I’m going to fly.  A clean slate has me be very deliberate about my route right before takeoff.  The primary function of the IFD is to support IFR flight plans, this is a VFR point to point request, which I think will actually hinder IFR operations.  Some things to consider:

·         Most of the time, I’m not sure what my next route or waypoint will be upon shutdown, so this feature will rarely come into play.  Also, after shutdown or before the next flight, I can always put waypoints into the IFD100 for auto loading when connected to the panel IFD.

·         When flying IFR, upon shutdown, the IFD will retain the last route flown.  Then on startup, I no longer have the option of just entering a route on the FPL page.  I will either need to delete the old waypoints while entering the new, or I will be relegated to entering everything new in the ROUTE page.  It limits my options and will cause extra work.

·         Upon startup now, I can do a database update in less time than it takes to warm up, taxi, and run-up.  Loading a single VFR waypoint would be simpler and faster than that.  I think you will find no extended run-up is necessary.

I am left to conclude that for most IFR operations, this feature request would be a hindrance.  Also, it will only come into play when the next VFR flight and waypoint are known, which is probably not very often (at least for me).  Even then, the IFD 100 will certainly suffice.

Edited by Bob H - 06 Aug 2019 at 9:56pm
Bob
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 8:23am
I agree with Bob. I wouldn't want to have to clear out my last flight.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 11:57am
I hardly ever fly the reverse route of what I just flew.  It would be an annoyance to not start with a clean flight plan.  For commonly-flown routes, I have those saved and can load them when appropriate.

Edited by MysticCobra - 07 Aug 2019 at 11:58am
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 6:56pm
My 2004 Garmin CNX 80 has started up with whatever flight plan it had active upon shutdown for the past 15 years...... and I *really* liked that feature.

For typical VFR flights it was super easy to reverse the existing plan for the trip back home. Sure, that doesn’t work for IFR.

I miss that FEATURE which was a time saver and handy.

I understand all the workarounds, I’ve been using my IFD 540 for 4.5 years.....
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 7:55pm

Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

My 2004 Garmin CNX 80 has started up with whatever flight plan it had active upon shutdown for the past 15 years...... and I *really* liked that feature. 

For typical VFR flights it was super easy to reverse the existing plan for the trip back home. Sure, that doesn’t work for IFR. 

I miss that FEATURE which was a time saver and handy. 

I understand all the workarounds, I’ve been using my IFD 540 for 4.5 years.....

Nine times out of ten when I pull the plane out of the hangar, my flight will have NOTHING to do with my previous flight.  What an annoyance then to have an irrelevant flight plan already loaded.

The IFDx40s are arguably the best GA IFR GPS units on the market.  These boxes are intended for IFR and are at their best during IFR.  You are requesting a VFR function that you agree doesn’t work for IFR.  That would be pretty short sighted of Avidyne.

Finally, these aren’t workarounds.  Workaround implies deficiency.  To the contrary, the IFD architecture is intentionally setup this way because it is the best structure for an IFR GPS.  The relationship between FPL and Routes works extremely well.

Edited by Bob H - 07 Aug 2019 at 9:17pm
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic