Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time to renew my nav/data plan....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:36am
Called Jepp back this morning.  While I was waiting on hold, I scrolled through the last few replies to this thread and saw people had good luck using Live Chat on the website, so tried that.  Got a rep immediately, so hung up the phone (had been on hold ~5 min by then).  

Even after stating exactly what I wanted and what I expected to pay, after 7 min she told me she was still looking for that bundle.  I found the item number from this thread (11112978) and provided that info, but it was still another 5 min wait before she typed, "Found it".  After that, the transaction proceeded quickly.

Per the chat window time stamps, it took a total of 16 minutes.  After 48 minutes of messing around with them over two days it's done and over with for at least another year.

Edited by MysticCobra - 14 May 2020 at 10:38am
rsharp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:43pm
Just updated my Single IFD550 Annual subscription on JepDirect to $529 for North Americas. (11112977)
I was previously paying $618 with no updates to Obstacles or Terrain.
Not a bad deal for reducing my costs and increasing my updates.

Of course they didn't promote the new price willingly but when I asked about the updated price she responded quickly to stating that price is still available. Avidyne does stats prices are subject to change on the link below:
Link to Avidyne's pricing page: https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/

Edit; As mentioned from others, all done on Live Chat no Phone calls etc.

Edited by rsharp - 15 May 2020 at 3:57pm
Regards,
RLSharp
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:50pm
That price still seems high - My IFD540's full USA Nav db was $299.

Tom W.
rsharp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:56pm
I needed Canada, Caribbean and Mexico thus the reason for North America vs Full USA.
Probably could have left out the Obstacles and Terrain.
But a few updates would have come to the same price.

Edited by rsharp - 15 May 2020 at 3:58pm
Regards,
RLSharp
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 7:03pm
Per my recent telephone call with a Jeppesen representative and my renewal, I told him that I was looking at special pricing sheet for Avidyne users and gave him the product # on the sheet that I needed.  He acknowledged that there was indeed updated pricing for the bundle that was expiring, but that he would have to search for the product number for it.  I told him I had the product number and gave it to him.  He commented that the number I gave him was some sort of internal product number and not the number that was in the sales subscription system that he works with.

He went offline for about 5 minutes and when he came back on he had found his product number that matched my subscription and was at the new Avidyne/Jeppesen lower price.

I have an IFD-540 (only Avidyne device) and 2 iPads w/ IFD-100 & IFD Trainer.  I do not want charts, only Full USA Navdata, Obstacles, and Terrain.  I had to tell them in previous years that I had an IFD-440, in order to eliminate charts from my subscription, BTW.  Now the IFD-440 subterfuge is not needed.

I previously had the Jeppesen bundle and here is my renewal quote:

I asked for:

I got:

Thank you for ordering the following avionics data and/or charting service(s) from Jeppesen.

10502577 Terrain.Coverage.Avidyne.IFD 400 Series.Worldwide  (same item # as previous service)

11086753 NavData.Coverage.Avidyne.IFD 400 Series.Full USA (item # from Avidyne a la carte, Navdata only, Full USA for the IFD440, which they still think I have)

11086893 Obstacles.Coverage.Avidyne.IFD 400 Series.Full USA

Price $449.00, which is the same as the Avidyne advertised special Jeppesen pricing.
I was told that my 2 mobile device licenses would still work, come June 6 renewal date, as that should be included in the $449 package price.

Takeaway:
Jeppesen sales system, even internally, does not have the bundle product item #'s in it.  There own people have to find a cross-reference document to refer to, in order to enter the sales order.

We won't even talk about the website.

Their people do genuinely want to be helpful, but it is a gamble on how helpful then can be based on who answers the phone.  Perhaps my experience forecasts better days for Jeppesen representatives.

Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
Sambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:22pm
Was the $299 price was for only Nav data but no obstacles or terrain? That’s for one IFD? 
Thanks 
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Sambo Sambo wrote:

Was the $299 price was for only Nav data but no obstacles or terrain? That’s for one IFD? 
Thanks 

Yes, one IFD, multiple IFD100s, Nav data only for the entire USA.
Woo Hoo!!!
Sambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:34pm
 Hello, I’m new to IFD540 and also just started using Foreflight (Pro option) on an iPad mini5 for my IFR training and could please use your advice. The IFD is used with my Trutrak A/P and with it for precision RNAV and other types of approaches. So my question is on what Jeppesen package option (Watching price) would you suggest I need for a single IFD540, for continuing IFR flying? Do I need the single IFD package for Full USA NavData, Obstacles, & terrain? Which is #11089207 for $449? Does this Price and plan include Jeppesen charts for 1 IFD540? I sure do appreciate your help and support filtering out all this many plans and prices being thrown around for a new guy like me to try and filter out.My Foreflight subscription comes with its own charts Nav and data. I can’t get away with the $299 plan for 1 IFD if I’m using it for IFR flying and charts can I? 
Sincerely Kevin 

IFD500 or IFD400 Series Nav Bundle Single IFD
Includes NavData, Obstacles, and Terrain for a single IFD series unit and support for two devices running the IFD100.  If your aircraft has just one IFD series unit and no Avidyne EX series equipment, this is the bundle for you.

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 10:08pm
I have an IFD540 that I use with an STEC autopilot and got the $299 package for NavData only. I do not get Jepp charts at all. NavData includes everything you need for en-route navigation and IFR approaches. 

You don't need a charts subscription to fly IFR. Charts are just for display, and I find the IFD screen too small for them. I prefer to view them on my iPad with Foreflight. I also have obstacles on Foreflight. 

Terrain data is from 2015, and comes installed in the IFD. There hasn't been an update in a very long time. IFR operations ensure obstacle clearance, so an obstacle subscription is not critical. I see them on Foreflight anyhow.

I like the AeroNav charts that come with ForFlight, so I haven't felt the need to subscribe to Jeppesen. I've used Jepp charts to fly to Mexico once in a while, but only get them when I go on a trip. When I got my rating in the 1990's, Jepp charts were significantly better than NACO charts. Nowadays, I don't think one is much better than the other. They differ in some details, but not enough for me to feel I need an extra subscription. If I did want Jepp charts, I'd get them through Foreflight since then I could use them on multiple devices. The new Jepp IFD subscription only lets you use the charts on the IFD100 app, not on Foreflight. 
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 11:33pm
1.  "got the $299 package for NavData only. I do not get Jepp charts at all. NavData includes everything you need for en-route navigation and IFR approaches. "

2.  "The new Jepp IFD subscription only lets you use the charts on the IFD100 app, not on Foreflight. "

1.  Same here.  With my $299 USA Nav, I first update my IFD540#1, then #2 in sequence... only one Subscription needed.

2.  I used to subscribe to the Jepp "Bundle" for Dual IFD540's, with Nav/Obstacles/Terrain/Charts for around $800, and this allowed for Jepp plates on FF as well as IFD100.  Jepp limits the number of IOS devices (? I recall 2) and counted the IFD100 as a separate device (I used IFD100 & FF).

I cancelled in favor of the NACO charts in FF and on Aspen MFD (Seattle Avionics), but I am now appreciating much more the IFD100 and may renew Jepp Charts for Chart viewing on iPad Mini-5 on yoke.

Tom W. 
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:03am
Henry covered everything nicely.  I will repeat and emphasize that NavData includes all the coding for IFR approaches and that a charts subscription is only for your reading pleasure.  I do subscribe to charts because I use the IFD100 to read the charts rather than foreflight.  I also like having the geo-referenced charts as part of the panel mounted unit.   Just my preference.  

I am a long time Jepp user, but also agree that NACO and Jepp charts quality wise are now similar.

The bottom line is that it is all about your price point and display package of choice.
Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 1:01pm
I agree with everyone above.  I only subscribe to NavData for the IFD540.  My IFD in the center stack is too far away and cumbersome to see charts on.  My iPad with Foreflight is right there on the left side where I can reach it, zoom, and see everything easily when needed.  Once I load an approach, I hardly ever look at the IFD since everything I need is on the Aspen with its map underlay.

As to terrain and obstacles, when IFR, you are always above the minimum vectoring altitude for the area so it's not an issue.  If I'm VFR, I have Foreflight.  I hate scud running, but if you do, Foreflight and it profile view is King.
Woo Hoo!!!
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

2.  I used to subscribe to the Jepp "Bundle" for Dual IFD540's, with Nav/Obstacles/Terrain/Charts for around $800, and this allowed for Jepp plates on FF as well as IFD100.  Jepp limits the number of IOS devices (? I recall 2) and counted the IFD100 as a separate device (I used IFD100 & FF).

The ability to use the Jepp charts on other EFB's went away with the new pricing bundles. You can only use them on the IFD100 pp on up to two(?) iPads now.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:45pm
Henry -

Can you explain your understanding of the iPad limit for Jepp?
Is it by iPad device, or is it per App?  

In other words, does a single iPad but Jepp on FF + IFD100 count as 2 uses??

Tom W.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:04pm
With the new subscription plan you can only use up to two iPads with the IFDq00 app. You cannot use one of the seats for Foreflight, like you could before the latest pricing. If you want to use Jepp charts on Foreflight, you will need to purchase them separately. If you buy them through Foreflight, you can use up on up to 3 devices, same as the Foreflight subscription itself.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

With the new subscription plan you can only use up to two iPads with the IFDq00 app. You cannot use one of the seats for Foreflight, like you could before the latest pricing. If you want to use Jepp charts on Foreflight, you will need to purchase them separately. If you buy them through Foreflight, you can use up on up to 3 devices, same as the Foreflight subscription itself.

Henry,
Thanks for that.  
Curious if you have compared "ease of use" in fight:  Jepp Charts on IFD100 vs FF (NACO or Jepp).

We always live by our "back-up" philosophy in flight, and I have had an occasional iPad failure (heat in Arizona) so aiming for IFD-panel Charts as backup to iPad easy-button...

Tom W. 
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:11pm
I don't use the IFD100 app much, but the charts would be about the same size whether you used the IFD100 or Foreflight. I like FF for planning my flights and filing flight plans, along with getting weather briefings, and just continue to use it once in the plane. Whether justified or not, I like having an independent nav source going, should the IFD for some reason run into trouble. Using FF keeps me proficient with it. I like all the rest of the features of an EFB provided by FF, as opposed to the interface into the IFD provided by the IFD100 app. I hope the IFD100 app becomes multitasking soon so I can use it split screen with Foreflight. I may use it more then. I have two iPads I could use in the cockpit, but that becomes too much for me. One iPad and the panel mount GPS are enough for my use. 

I think the IFD100 is most useful if you have an IFD440, so you have a much bigger screen to view the flight plan and the moving map. Ease of use is sometimes in the eyes of the beholder. I like to interact with my IFD on the IFD itself, mounted on my center stack. I find FF easier to use for looking at my flight track and finding all kinds of aeronautical information that is simply not included in the IFD. Pinch and zoom to look at a chart is about the same on either unit. This is all independent of the chart provider. 

Of course, there's nothing wrong with yet another backup if you also want to have it on the IFD. I just don't find the charts very readable there. I haven't had heat problem with my iPad in Texas, but I have a high-wing airplane and enough shade to be able to keep my iPad out of the direct sun.

Edited by HenryM - 18 May 2020 at 4:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:02pm
I just renewed my IFD540 Navdata plan last month.  I should be picking up my plane at the end of this week after the upgrade and I will now have an additional Aspen MFD instead of the single PFD.  Does anyone subscribe to any data packages from Jepp for this in addition to the IFD?  If so, what?  Is there really any advantage?  Do they have a package that will cover my IFD and the Aspen?  I also fly with ForeFlight on my iPad and use it primarily for approach plates since it is really easy to see and manipulate right there to the left side and really close.  I'm not sure that I see an advantage to having all of that on the Aspen MFD.  Thoughts?  Thanks.
Woo Hoo!!!
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Kentucky Captain Kentucky Captain wrote:

I just renewed my IFD540 Navdata plan last month.  I should be picking up my plane at the end of this week after the upgrade and I will now have an additional Aspen MFD instead of the single PFD.  Does anyone subscribe to any data packages from Jepp for this in addition to the IFD?  If so, what?  Is there really any advantage?  Do they have a package that will cover my IFD and the Aspen?  I also fly with ForeFlight on my iPad and use it primarily for approach plates since it is really easy to see and manipulate right there to the left side and really close.  I'm not sure that I see an advantage to having all of that on the Aspen MFD.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Many of us fly with Dual Aspens and Dual IFD540's.
Jepp supplies the Aspen Nav-Data for MFD, but as far as I know, there is no "bundle" for Aspen MFD Nav Data plus IFD5XX Nav Data.

I use a Life-Time Seattle Avionics Rx, so:
. I purchase once each year the Aspen MFD Nav-Data ($150) - Lots of useful display of Airspaces and Nav Data with superimposed traffic.
. I keep current Seattle Avionics IFR Charts on the Aspen MFD as back-up to iPad Apps.
. iPad FlyQ is better for many of their displays - like superior Wx at altitude & Apts. 
. iPad FF is better for ease of display of destination IFR approach chart.
. iPad IFD100 is great for extra "data blocks" 

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 26 May 2020 at 11:45pm
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:47am
"Many of us fly with Dual Aspens and Dual IFD540's.
Jepp supplies the Aspen Nav-Data for MFD, but as far as I know, there is no "bundle" for Aspen MFD Nav Data plus IFD5XX Nav Data.

. I purchase once each year the Aspen MFD Nav-Data ($150) - Lots of useful display of Airspaces and Nav Data with superimposed traffic.
. I keep current Seattle Avionics IFR Charts on the Aspen MFD as back-up to iPad Apps.
. iPad FlyQ is better for many of their displays - like superior Wx at altitude & Apts. 

This is pretty much exactly how I do it as well. I have a single 540 but a Aspen 1500 system, I use Seattle Avionics Lifetime data for that system. I use FLYQ only, because for me it is intuitive to my flying. I update that IFD100 only to change data blocks. For my traffic, I use ADSB from an older obsolete Sky Radar that updates both freqs. It works and I love it. I get the Nav Data only, annually from Jep for my 540.
Sauce
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by nrproces nrproces wrote:

This is pretty much exactly how I do it as well. I have a single 540 but a Aspen 1500 system, I use Seattle Avionics Lifetime data for that system. I use FLYQ only, because for me it is intuitive to my flying. I update that IFD100 only to change data blocks. For my traffic, I use ADSB from an older obsolete Sky Radar that updates both freqs. It works and I love it. I get the Nav Data only, annually from Jep for my 540.

To clarify for Kentucky Captain, RE: the Aspen PFD & MFD data:

1. Jeppesen is the only provider of Navdata, Obstacle and Terrain data for the Aspen PFD & MFD.  Jeppesen provides 3 downloads per cycle with a subscription, in case you have up to 3 Aspen units installed, all for 1 price.  Data for the PFD is only used for the Synthetic Vision option (pre-MAX).

2. Seattle Avionics is the only provider of IFD approach chart data for the Aspen MFD's.  This can be updated on 1 or 2 MFD microSD cards for your installation in your aircraft.  Charts are only on the MFD.

3. Seattle Avionics has one-time, 12 month, and lifetime subscriptions available.  Seattle will about once per year offer a special pricing window to purchase a lifetime subscription.  My current search of the Seattle Avionics website did not show the lifetime option anymore, you may inquire. 

4. When I purchased my Aspen in 2017, Jeppesen and Seattle offered FREE 90-day subscriptions to their data for the Aspen PFD & MFD.

5. Having the Navdata, Obstacle and Terrain databases on the Aspen allows it to give you terrain warnings, etc.

6.  ***IMPORTANT***  Always, when removing or inserting a MicroSD card from an Aspen unit; cup your unused hand below the unit and the hand touching the MicroSD card.  You really don't want to have to search for a MicroSD card in every nook and cranny on the floor with bi-focal glasses on.

Wish you the best with your new equipment additions.

Edited by afassas - 27 May 2020 at 4:34pm
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
saratogahp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saratogahp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:23am
A sincere thank you.  Great thread and info for an Avidyne newbie.  It takes a village to help figure out Jepp and their inadequacies, the info on product codes is invaluable.  

I can hope Avidyne at least is exploring options, and lets Jeppesen know their prices must be regulated, or Jepp could really put Avidyne out on the street if they increase their prices significantly, the big G will have a huge advantage, and I am done with that monopoly concept.  Avidyne has a better product.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by afassas afassas wrote:

[QUOTE=nrproces]"Many of us fly with Dual Aspens and Dual IFD540's.

1. Jeppesen is the only provider of Navdata, Obstacle and Terrain data for the Aspen PFD & MFD.  Jeppesen provides 3 downloads per cycle with a subscription, in case you have up to 3 Aspen units installed, all for 1 price.  Data for the PFD is only used for the Synthetic Vision option (pre-MAX).

2. Seattle Avionics is the only provider of IFD approach chart data for the Aspen MFD's.  This can be updated on 1 or 2 MFD microSD cards for your installation in your aircraft.  Charts are only on the MFD.

3. Seattle Avionics has one-time, 12 month, and lifetime subscriptions available.  Seattle will about once per year offer a special pricing window to purchase a lifetime subscription.  My current search of the Seattle Avionics website did not show the lifetime option anymore, you may inquire. 

4. When I purchased my Aspen in 2017, Jeppesen and Seattle offered FREE 90-day subscriptions to their data for the Aspen PFD & MFD.

5. Having the Navdata, Obstacle and Terrain databases on the Aspen allows it to give you terrain warnings, etc.

6.  ***IMPORTANT***  Always, when removing or inserting a MicroSD card from an Aspen unit; cup your unused hand below the unit and the hand touching the MicroSD card.  You really don't want to have to search for a MicroSD card in every nook and cranny on the floor with bi-focal glasses on.

I did notice that Seattle Avionics does provide a three month trial so I will definitely be giving that a hard look.  I really don't think I will opt for charts on the MFD since I really like how handy they are on ForeFlight.  I was watching a demo of charts on an MFD and wasn't impressed at all when he tried to zoom and scroll.  Very cumbersome.  ForeFlight is just a pinch and stretch.  Not sure on other functionality so far.  We'll see,  that is if I can ever get the plane back.  I was just informed yesterday that it could be two more weeks due to some issue with the shipment of the NGT9000+.   Really getting tired of this.  At least it's given me time to get all of the buttonology down for the STEC 55X.  I truly think that it is easier and more straightforward than the STEC30, not to mention getting coupled approaches, altitude pre-select, and a flight director.
Woo Hoo!!!
piper18O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper18O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:44pm
If I renew the 299 USA Navdata, will that give me one year subscription on my ifd 440 along with navdata on 2 ifd100 ipads? If so, will this allow me to link my ifd100 with my 440?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by piper18O piper18O wrote:

If I renew the 299 USA Navdata, will that give me one year subscription on my ifd 440 along with navdata on 2 ifd100 ipads? If so, will this allow me to link my ifd100 with my 440?

Without going back and searching, I think you are correct.  For $299 you get a single IFD 540 or 440 and 2 IFD100s.  That subscription now includes the entire USA too!
Woo Hoo!!!
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 5:19pm

Originally posted by nrproces nrproces wrote:

Thank you both for the above!
I'll add my $.02.
My panel:
  • IFD 540
  • Aspen 2000 MAX (replaced 7 round gauges with two displays in Dec '19)
  • NGT9000
Panel data sources:
  • Used the 90-day Jeppesen and Seattle Avionics trials for the Aspen
  • Bought the lifetime Seattle Avionics sub for Aspen offered last Christmas, purchased in April
  • Renewed IFD Jepp NavData for North America for about the price I'd been paying for just Western US
  • Purchased single update of Obstacle data for IFD
  • Next year will get
    • single update of Obstacle data for IFD and Aspen
    • Navdata sub for IFD
    • single update of NavData for Aspen
Glad to hear that nrproces and afassas follow similar practices.

Sambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:50pm
hello and question, do you have most recent Avidyne IFD software update of 10.2.4.1? I see you have a IFD540 and the Lynx NGT9000. I’m having terrible troubles of my IFD540 losing its wifi signal during flight. Green wifi lights on solid then like today after only 30 min it the IFD wifi drops off no green light and loss of wifi. Lynx had me change their wifi to ch11, Avidyne wifi is on Ch6 and with both off of Ch1 now same loss of wifi still happening. I’ve even pulled Lynx Circuit breaker and Avidyne IFd540 wifi signal will get lost. I am looking for technical support and today emailed a detail write up of my conditions and losing the IFD540 wifi to tech support and await a fix. But curious if any other with an IFD and the Lynx transponder is in same predicament of IFD wifi signal lost. 
Thanks for any help, 
Shazam😎
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:59am

2. Seattle Avionics is the only provider of IFD approach chart data for the Aspen MFD's.  This can be updated on 1 or 2 MFD microSD cards for your installation in your aircraft.  Charts are only on the MFD.[...]

Thanks for this summary-- it was really useful. I'm installing an Aspen later this year and was waffling on whether I wanted to spend the money on the SA subscription for charts-- but I didn't realize there was *also* a Jepp subscription involved. I already get terrain warnings from the IFD, so I'm not sure I'd buy the Jepp subscription just for that. I assume I need the Jepp navdata on the Aspen to see intersections, waypoints, etc.-- is there a published guide anywhere that shows exactly what features require the subscription?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:44am
"not sure I'd buy the Jepp subscription just for that. I assume I need the Jepp navdata on the Aspen to see intersections, waypoints, etc.-- is there a published guide anywhere that shows exactly what features require the subscription?"

Afassas -

The Aspen MFD Nav-data and "Social" database as they call it, is NOT required, it is optional.
Over and above the dual IFD540's with current Nav-Data, IMHO, the Aspen MFD database adds improved Airspace layers and MOA Airspace definitions, VOR, Apts, and Terrain over and above the panel IFD's displays.  
In fact, I find the MFD is so easy to scan for info, that I really don't like to block the Nav & traffic data with the MFD Seattle IFR Charts (so I am revisiting the extravagance of Jepp IFR charts in the panel IFD's & IFD100.

Tom W.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Sambo Sambo wrote:

hello and question, do you have most recent Avidyne IFD software update of 10.2.4.1? I see you have a IFD540 and the Lynx NGT9000. I’m having terrible troubles of my IFD540 losing its wifi signal during flight. Green wifi lights on solid then like today after only 30 min it the IFD wifi drops off no green light and loss of wifi. Lynx had me change their wifi to ch11, Avidyne wifi is on Ch6 and with both off of Ch1 now same loss of wifi still happening. I’ve even pulled Lynx Circuit breaker and Avidyne IFd540 wifi signal will get lost. I am looking for technical support and today emailed a detail write up of my conditions and losing the IFD540 wifi to tech support and await a fix. But curious if any other with an IFD and the Lynx transponder is in same predicament of IFD wifi signal lost. 
Thanks for any help, 

Hi Sambo,

I know we're off topic, but...

I have an IFD540 and Lynx NGT9000+. I always make my connection from my android tablet to the Lynx. I don't have connectivity issues for the most part. The only time I've had difficulty was probably twice when trying to make a new connection mid-flight. Tablet had a hard time connecting, so I gave up. Normally, the tablet connects shortly after flipping the avionics master on, and it stays connected. I haven't seen the need to connect via the IFD yet.

Jeff
100mileperhour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100mileperhour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 7:08am
I start my "Intensive" IFR training here in a couple weeks, so I obviously going have to get current and legal updates. 

Been watching the thread for some time.  Pulled the trigger.  Although it was less than last year, which was over $1,100. 

IFD 540, Aspen
I bought the Jepp subscription this year.  We'll see if I do it next year after I'm more "Educated"!!!

My bundle was $940 - North America, Nav Data, Obstacles, Terrain and Jepp Charts. 

Emily was very helpful at Jeppesen and held my hand the whole way.  It only hurt for a little while.  But hey, it's the "price" you pay, if wanna "play". 

M

Edited by 100mileperhour - 02 Jun 2020 at 7:09am
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by 100mileperhour 100mileperhour wrote:

My bundle was $940 - North America, Nav Data, Obstacles, Terrain and Jepp Charts.
Was this just the IFD bundle or does this include the Aspen?  North America coverage seems excessive for training unless you've got some major trips planned.
Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100mileperhour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 9:39am
No just the Avidyne Bundle. 

My understanding and I saw this that Terrain hasn't been updated since 2015 by the Gov., so it was not necessary to do that to the ASPEN.  Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am. 

Yeah, the whole USA seems a bit much, but I do venture across the boundaries, so why not have it.  If I never went there, then I wouldn't have bought it.  
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 3:02pm

No just the Avidyne Bundle. 

My understanding and I saw this that Terrain hasn't been updated since 2015 by the Gov., so it was not necessary to do that to the ASPEN.  Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am. 

Yeah, the whole USA seems a bit much, but I do venture across the boundaries, so why not have it.  If I never went there, then I wouldn't have bought it.  
I don't know the first thing about Aspen, so can't help there.  Your first post mentions North America, the second mentions USA.  Those are two different subscriptions.  You should go here:
to make sure you got what you wanted at the right price.  I don't see any options for you that would be more than $859.00.
Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100mileperhour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 3:04pm
Sorry, I meant to say USA. 

Really!  $859??????

Jepp Charts too???

I'm on the phone now!   Grrrrrr!!!!!

Edited by 100mileperhour - 02 Jun 2020 at 3:06pm
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 3:17pm

Sorry, I meant to say USA. 

Really!  $859??????

Jepp Charts too???

I'm on the phone now!   Grrrrrr!!!!!
If USA with charts, then no more than $799.  But look the pricing page over carefully.  Perhaps one of the other packages with ala carte charts will be even cheaper.  It's really unfortunate that you have to tell them what their pricing is.
Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100mileperhour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 3:35pm
So, just got off the phone with Jeppesen!

So, the prices posted on the Avidyne Website, DO NOT INCLUDE JEPP CHARTS ON MOBILE DEVICES and Apps. 

Now, I wish I had the presence of mind to ask, if the meant, the EA100 app as well, seeing that just mirrors the IFD?????????

So, I paid the extra 140 to have it on Foreflight. 

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 6:58pm
The cheaper price does include use with the IFD100 on two iPads. You have to pay extra to use charts on Foreflight.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 6:58pm
Those bundles do not include charts for the IFD 100.  I paid extra to be able to get them on that also
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 7:56pm
sorry if I wasn't clear. The cheaper chart bundles (not the $299 NavData only) include use with the IFD100. They don't include use with FF.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 8:55pm

sorry if I wasn't clear. The cheaper chart bundles (not the $299 NavData only) include use with the IFD100. They don't include use with FF.
You were clear.  The bundles we were both talking about do include charts for the IFD100.

The question for 100mileperhour is:  Was it your intent to get charts for BOTH the IFD100 and ForeFlight?
Bob
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 4:27am
While FF and Jepp are working together to integrate the Jepp charts and mobile product into FF, there isn‘t yet evidence that the Jepp avionics products are or will be integrated with those from FF. So if one wants charts on both the IFD‘s and in FF, then one needs to pay for them twice.
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100mileperhour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

You were clear.  The bundles we were both talking about do include charts for the IFD100.

The question for 100mileperhour is:  Was it your intent to get charts for BOTH the IFD100 and ForeFlight?

Not knowing what I don't know, I wanted to make sure I had what I needed when I go to start my IFR training, here in a couple weeks.  The sales rep "Emily" was pretty emphatic that I would be better served to have the Jepp charts on Foreflight. 

Michael
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 7:55am
Having had charts on my 540s - don't find the implementation all that useful compared to being on a tablet - so I use charts through FlyQ.  YMMV.
David Gates
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 8:26am
I did not get charts for my IFD540. I also don't find the display useful. I find the 540 large enough and conveniently located that I don't use the IFD100. Thus, I only use charts on Foreflight. 

I don't find the Jepp charts that much better than the charts that come standard with ForFlight, so I don't buy them, unless I fly to Mexico, where FF doesn't offer charts. Even then, FlyQ EFB does include Mexico charts, so I have that option.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 8:33am
BTW, if you realize you wanted a different subscription than you got, just call Jeppesen and change it. They will pro-rate the old subscription on a daily basis and apply the credit to the new subscription.

If you want charts for FF, and use more than one device (iPhone + iPad, for example) you might be better off buying the subscription through FF, because with Jepp you can use in only on one device. FF allows 3 devices. 
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 9:44am
"If you want charts for FF, and use more than one device (iPhone + iPad, for example) you might be better off buying the subscription through FF, because with Jepp you can use in only on one device. FF allows 3 devices. "

Henry - Thanks for that... I, for one, did not realize that nuance for purchasing Jepp Charts thru FF.  
Does this allow Jepp for our panel device  (IFD540) plus 3 more? This would certainly add more value if FF allows Jepp on 3-devices beyond the IFD540, for example 
 . iPad - FF
 . iPad - IFD100
 . iPhone

Tom W.

Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 9:57am

Not knowing what I don't know, I wanted to make sure I had what I needed when I go to start my IFR training, here in a couple weeks.  The sales rep "Emily" was pretty emphatic that I would be better served to have the Jepp charts on Foreflight.  

Michael
Hi Michael - You've gotten lots of info from folks about what they prefer.  I'd like to be clear about what your intent was when purchasing the data package.  It seems from one of your earlier posts that you weren't sure if Jepp charts for the IFD100 came with the Jepp bundle.  Emily said you'd be better off with the Foreflight Jepp Charts.  However, she then sold you packages, for more money, that include charts for both the IFD100 and Foreflight.  It seems odd to me that she would recommend Foreflight and then sell you charts for both, especially if you didn't specifically ask for that.  Most folks do not have charts for both.  Some prefer Foreflight.  Some prefer the IFD100.  Some prefer another app.  Some prefer Jepp Charts.  Some prefer Gov't NACO Charts.

Since you are new to this and just starting out with your training, what is it that you want?  Perhaps that's not an easy question to answer.  There is a lot to consider, including price points.  There are LOTS of opinions here, some quite strong, about what is best.  Don't hesitate to ask more questions as folks here are more than willing to help you wade through all this.

Let me just point out a few things.

1.  Do you currently have and use a flight planning package?  If so, I would not switch now while you're going into training.
2.  If you don't currently use a flight planning package, you may want to wait until you are further along in your training and can do some evaluation of what's out there and have a better idea of what attributes you might prefer.  I also don't think you need the workload of learning both the IFD and a new flightplanning package with charts at the same time.  While learning the IFD, it might be useful to have charts on the IFD100 so you aren't having to switch to another app in the cockpit while training.  This will reduce your workload and keep you focused on learning the IFD.  You can always switch to something else down the road.
3.  NACO Charts can be found online for free.  Jepps will always cost.
4.  NACO and Jepp charts are about equal in quality and ease of use.
5.  The Navdata in the IFD includes everything necessary to fly approaches.  There is no need to get a charts package to fly IFR unless you want them on the IFD100.

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck.

Edited by Bob H - 03 Jun 2020 at 10:00am
Bob
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 10:10am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Having had charts on my 540s - don't find the implementation all that useful compared to being on a tablet - so I use charts through FlyQ.  YMMV.
This is confusing to someone just starting their training.  Charts on the 540 does include charts on a tablet – the IFD100.

If you want charts for FF, and use more than one device (iPhone + iPad, for example) you might be better off buying the subscription through FF, because with Jepp you can use in only on one device. FF allows 3 devices. 
The Jepp package Michael bought includes Charts for Two devices.
Bob
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

"If you want charts for FF, and use more than one device (iPhone + iPad, for example) you might be better off buying the subscription through FF, because with Jepp you can use in only on one device. FF allows 3 devices. "

Henry - Thanks for that... I, for one, did not realize that nuance for purchasing Jepp Charts thru FF.  
Does this allow Jepp for our panel device  (IFD540) plus 3 more? This would certainly add more value if FF allows Jepp on 3-devices beyond the IFD540, for example 
 . iPad - FF
 . iPad - IFD100
 . iPhone

Tom W.

No. Jepp Charts purchased through FF are usable on 3 devices, but only within FF on those devices. Jepp charts on any IFD, including the IFD100 on an ipad, requires a separate avionics chart purchase directly from Jepp.
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic