Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time to renew my nav/data plan....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:45am
I just went through the annual painful task of renewing my Jepp coverage. I have decided to drop the approach plates on the IFD 540 and to drop the terrain as well (it hasn't been updated in many years), leaving Nav Data (new price of $299 for entire US) and Obstacles ($147). Savings of 60% for me. It took less than 3 minutes with phone call to Jepp within 40 minutes after they opened at 7 am MST.

It is important to note that the new price for Nav Data is not reflected in the 2020 invoiced bundle price of $993.30 which has been my subscription cost for Nav Data, Obstacles, Terrain, Electronic Charts Eastern US since I bought the IFD 540 4 years ago. In other words, the 2019 reduction to the Nav Data price doesn't affect the bundled price at all.

Be sure to call Jepp before you renew. They do know that the web site is broken, that many of us complain about the price, and that somebody needs to head up some work to improve relationship between Jepp and its customers. The gal I talked with said they are well aware of it on her end and that one exec has been assigned to review and revise things on their end. However, they don't know when or what to expect.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by compasst compasst wrote:

I just went through the annual painful task of renewing my Jepp coverage. I have decided to drop the approach plates on the IFD 540 and to drop the terrain as well (it hasn't been updated in many years), leaving Nav Data (new price of $299 for entire US) and Obstacles ($147). Savings of 60% for me. It took less than 3 minutes with phone call to Jepp within 40 minutes after they opened at 7 am MST.

It is important to note that the new price for Nav Data is not reflected in the 2020 invoiced bundle price of $993.30 which has been my subscription cost for Nav Data, Obstacles, Terrain, Electronic Charts Eastern US since I bought the IFD 540 4 years ago. In other words, the 2019 reduction to the Nav Data price doesn't affect the bundled price at all.

Be sure to call Jepp before you renew. They do know that the web site is broken, that many of us complain about the price, and that somebody needs to head up some work to improve relationship between Jepp and its customers. The gal I talked with said they are well aware of it on her end and that one exec has been assigned to review and revise things on their end. However, they don't know when or what to expect.
I realize the terrain hasn't been updated for years, but why not go for the single IFD full US bundle (no charts) for $449, which includes what you bought for $446 plus terrain.  For $3 a year, you'll automatically get terrain when and if it gets updated.

Also, the full USA bundled price with charts for multiple IFDS and EX equipment is $799.  So the 2019 reduction to the full bundled price is indeed cheaper and includes more coverage than you received for $993.30.   The problem is that Jepp is unable to implement the new pricing without being asked for it.  They just keep charging what they've always charged even when it's just plain wrong as in your case.  To get the new pricing that Avidyne negotiated, you have to ask for it.  This is inexcusable and indicative of their complete mismanagement of their website and customer facing processes.

I'm still waiting for the reduction for single IFD bundle that includes charts.  Steve said it's coming, but it has been so long coming, I'm beginning to lose hope.
Bob
260SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 260SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:33pm
The only thing needed to be legal (and safe) for IFR enroute and app/dep is the Nav Data, correct?  (Using paper or iPad for up to date charts and plates.)

Does IFD100 require both charts and Nav Data to work with my 540?  Or just Nav Data?
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:46pm
The IFD100 and IFD540 have to have the same database for them to work. If you want the IFD100 to display charts, you'll need a chart subscription for your IFD540. You will then be able to download the charts when you download the databases to you iPad. 

You don't have to have charts to use the Nav functions of the IFD540 on your IFD100. 

Edited by HenryM - 11 Mar 2020 at 1:47pm
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 260SE 260SE wrote:

The only thing needed to be legal (and safe) for IFR enroute and app/dep is the Nav Data, correct?  (Using paper or iPad for up to date charts and plates.)

Does IFD100 require both charts and Nav Data to work with my 540?  Or just Nav Data?
You only require current Nav Data to be legal.  Nav Data includes all the instrument approaches in your coverage area.  A subscription to Charts is not needed.  I subscribe to charts because I use them on the IFD100 and I like to have them on the IFD as a back-up.  It is just my preference as I don't use foreflight or other app.  Lots of options for charts out there, so it's your preference.
Bob
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

I'm still waiting for the reduction for single IFD bundle that includes charts.  Steve said it's coming, but it has been so long coming, I'm beginning to lose hope.

At this stage, hope is definitely futile. When the IFD540 was in development, and before the IFD440 arrived, Avidyne was saying that a data "bundle" would be cheaper than separate, and there would be no additional charge for anyone with multiple IFDs. That was over 5 years ago and of course, Jeppesen didn't meet the promise.

Unfortunately, Avidyne has no leverage to impact Jeppesen pricing and we all just need to accept what the monopolist decides they'll charge. Our choice is to do without where not deemed critical, such as terrain data or charts if we have them on ForeFlight. Having charts on FF, I really can't justify the extra $800 just to get charts on the IFD540/IFD100 (I'm in Europe and we don't get the benefit of US pricing).

Vince
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

The IFD100 and IFD540 have to have the same database for them to work. If you want the IFD100 to display charts, you'll need a chart subscription for your IFD540. You will then be able to download the charts when you download the databases to you iPad. 

You don't have to have charts to use the Nav functions of the IFD540 on your IFD100. 

I believe the only database that needs to match between your IFD540 and IFD100 so that flight plans will pass back and forth is the NAV database.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 7:45pm
Yes, but you need the Chart database subscription on the IFD540 in order to be able to download charts to the iPad with the IFD100. I don't know if the database has to be physically loaded on the IFD540. You just need the subscription to see the data from your iPad.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 7:55pm

Yes, but you need the Chart database subscription on the IFD540 in order to be able to download charts to the iPad with the IFD100. I don't know if the database has to be physically loaded on the IFD540. You just need the subscription to see the data from your iPad.

True
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 7:40pm
Okay, now it's my time in the barrel for renewal...I just got my Jepp invoice for $1100.17 to use with my single IFD540 for NavData, Obtacles, Terrain, & Charts for the whole USA.  What bundle is available for me?  I see:

IFD500/IFD400 Series Aircraft Bundle
  - Item # 11089207
  - Full USA $799
  - NavData, Obtacles, Terrain, & Charts
  - IFD500 series, EX series, & 2 devices for IFD100

Then:
IFD500 or IFD400 Series Nav Bundle Single IFD
  - Item # 11112978
  - Full USA $449
  - NavData, Obtacles, & Terrain
  - IFD single unit & 2 devices for IFD100

I don't see a single IFDXXX with NavData, Obstacles, Terrain, & Charts bundle, am I missing something?  Thanks for the help.

Edited by donemory - 14 Mar 2020 at 7:42pm
Don
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 7:49pm
It appears the top option (item 11089207) is what you are looking for. 
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 9:18pm
The top one is what I thought as well but does it matter I don’t have a EX series?  I wouldn’t think so but you never know with Jepp!
Don
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by donemory donemory wrote:

I don't see a single IFDXXX with NavData, Obstacles, Terrain, & Charts bundle, am I missing something?
Such a bundle has been in the works for some time, but continues to be delayed.  You can get the aircraft bundle (that supports EX) and then switch once the new bundle is available.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:39am
Hi Steve-

The expensive Jeppesen service that I now have includes North American navdata coverage, not Full US. The Charts, etc. are Full US. I would be very interested in a bundle that included North American navdata coverage.

Also, I have been thinking of dropping that chart coverage, since I consider it primarily as a backup to the iPad, and I have other backups. If my charts get out of date, will I be faced with the Out of Date message and the "Proceed/Confirm" steps on startup forever?

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 9:20am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

It appears the top option (item 11089207) is what you are looking for. 
I would check the ala carte pricing for charts added to 11112978 (single IFD) to see how the total pricing compares to 11089207 (two IFD).  You can also reduce chart costs by limiting it to specific regions if your area of flying warrants it.
Bob
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

If my charts get out of date, will I be faced with the Out of Date message and the "Proceed/Confirm" steps on startup forever?
Yes, that has been my experience since dropping the charts from my 540 subscription two years ago.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

If my charts get out of date, will I be faced with the Out of Date message and the "Proceed/Confirm" steps on startup forever?
For now, the answer is yes.  However, 10.3 will include the capability to disable charts so that the message will not appear.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 9:14am
the same issue with obstacles. If you don't subscribe to obstacles and have an old database, you will get the error message on every startup. It would be nice to be able to delete old databases so you don't accidentally use old data and to eliminate the error message. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 9:19am

the same issue with obstacles. If you don't subscribe to obstacles and have an old database, you will get the error message on every startup. It would be nice to be able to delete old databases so you don't accidentally use old data and to eliminate the error message. 
I get it for charts, but are you saying you would prefer to have no obstacles rather than to acknowledge that your obstacle database is old?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 9:25am
If the database is old enough, I'd rather not rely on it. I'm not talking about a couple of cycles, but if I don't have an obstacle subscription and my database is a couple of years old, I'd rather be able to remove it. Obstacles are not critical for IFR flight, since by its nature you're flying in protected space.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 9:34am
If obstacles are not critical for IFR flight, how does having an out of date obstacle db mean that you're relying on it?

Edited by chflyer - 16 Mar 2020 at 9:34am
Vince
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 9:57am

If the database is old enough, I'd rather not rely on it. I'm not talking about a couple of cycles, but if I don't have an obstacle subscription and my database is a couple of years old, I'd rather be able to remove it. Obstacles are not critical for IFR flight, since by its nature you're flying in protected space.
-1  Having some (or most really) of the obstacles is better than none.
Bob
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 2:33pm
I can see some wanting to have the old database. I am just saying it should be possible to delete it if no longer used/desired, for whatever reason. In my case, my plane was originally on the east coast and had an Eastern US database. I live in Texas and got a subscription for whole US. I only have Navdata now. The unit complains about old obstacle and charts databases. I prefer. to to have error notifications and would like to get rid of non-current data. The charts are almost 3 years old, and I can't remember the last obstacle database date, also from a while back.

It doesn't seem like all that outlandish to want to clean out the old data to eliminate any error indications or warnings. It used to be that a firmware update got rid of the databases. Now they are retained between updates. I actually like that retention for whatever data is current, but prefer not to have outdated data laying around. If I want obstacles, I'll get a current obstacle database. Same for charts. It would be best if obstacles were simple a part of the navdata subscription, like it is done for any current EFB.  

I don't think the data should be erased automatically, since I understand how someone might prefer an old database over no database. However, it would be nice to have the option to start fresh. It would also be useful to erase a database in certain situations where a database is corrupted ad there is no newer database to replace it.
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 5:41pm
Last year at Sun n Fun, I renewed, actually purchased my first database upgrade for my 440. They charged me over $400.00 for the east coast only and supposedly gave me two free months as a SnF free bee. This was for the east coast only but did not think much of it as that was what I was paying for my Garmin 430W.

So this year, I was looking at some posts where guys were getting full USA plus Terrain for about $400, same as I was paying for east coast. So I called Jepp (not an easy task in itself). Anyway I explained what happened. He agreed, and gave me a $200 credit plus Terrain and this also included the full world Map data place. More on that later.

Anyway, I loaded the full east coast, the new terrain  and the world map database. Now that was a mistake. It took almost 2 hours to copy that file over. If you make this mistake, make sure you have a battery backup before you attempt  this one. this is at least a two hour upload. So anyway, I now have  both those databases to install every month at the price I was paying for US only,

Claude
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by allenc3 allenc3 wrote:

...Anyway, I loaded the full east coast, the new terrain  and the world map database...
Sorry you went through the two hour load.  There's no reason to load terrain.  That data hasn't changed since 2015.  If there ever comes a time that it's worth loading, I'll be sure to let everyone know.  We may actually remove terrain from the JDM delivery just to eliminate this confusion and inadvertent loading.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:55pm
Steve,

Is there a difference between the terrain downloaded from Jepp and the database that a firmware update installs? I believe there's a base map already there even if you never load terrain, right?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 9:37pm
No, the terrain from the factory is the same as that downloaded from Jeppesen.  Yes, base map is loaded at the factory and there has never been an update to that.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:28pm
Thanks. I think that base map is a major part of the time that it takes to do a full firmware update. 
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

No, the terrain from the factory is the same as that downloaded from Jeppesen.  Yes, base map is loaded at the factory and there has never been an update to that.

Thanks. I think that base map is a major part of the time that it takes to do a full firmware update.
Correct me if I’m mistaken, but my understanding is that database data is never included in firmware updates.  Steve also makes it clear that the world base map loaded at the factory has never been updated.  So, I wouldn’t expect Avidyne to waste time and complicate firmware updates for a database that hasn’t changed.

It also appears that allenc3 loading terrain and the world base map was simply overwriting identical data already loaded.  There certainly is no need to reload terrain and the world base map every cycle.  I have never subscribed to terrain and wasn’t even aware that the world base map could even be subscribed to.  A waste of time on both counts.
Bob
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 9:52pm
I did not order it, it was included in my DATA Download from Jepp. I will never upload that file again, but the Terrian file is new every cycle, and has a new date just as the NAV DATA does. if you dont upload both files every cycle, when you re-boot into the system you will get a warning in yellow that your terrian file is out of date and PROCEED. I do not see that warning anymore.
Claude
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by allenc3 allenc3 wrote:

I did not order it, it was included in my DATA Download from Jepp. I will never upload that file again, but the Terrian file is new every cycle, and has a new date just as the NAV DATA does. if you dont upload both files every cycle, when you re-boot into the system you will get a warning in yellow that your terrian file is out of date and PROCEED. I do not see that warning anymore.

The Terrain is not new every cycle. The current cycle is 1T51 and the date is November 17, 2015

Edited by LANCE - 18 Mar 2020 at 10:23pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 7:46pm
I guess you can't please everybody .... the new Jeppesen pricing on the Avidyne page for my config (one IFD navdata plus IFD100, Europe) has gone UP 30% rather than down. At least they are offering the AERO show 15% discount which brings it back down to a bit closer to the previous pricing.
Vince
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 7:11pm
Any progress on the bundles with Aspen EFD's?
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 7:58pm

Hot off the presses...

At this point, new ala carte pricing is available, varying based on the coverage region.  So, for instance, if your subscription is for "Full USA IFR NavData" ala carte (i.e. not bundled with anything else), then you should expect a price of $299 per year.  That's NavData for one IFD.

Hello Steve,

Once again, thanks for the invite.  Liz and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour.  You guys run a top notch operation there.

I just received my renewal notice for my navdata from Jeppesen.  As expected, it is for the same price as last year.  The bill is for item #10502543 which is for the East/Central USA navdata only at $404.00.  Your post above shows the Full USA ala carte price for the navdata is $299.

I'm looking at the Avidyne site
https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/
where it shows the pricing from Jeppesen and I don't see that one anywhere.  I do see item #11086905 at $409.

At MyPilotStore.com I can purchase the full USA for $299 but I'm afraid if I went that way, it would screw up my account by starting account.

Everybody is correct about the Jeppesn website.  I think that it is even worse that Aircraft Spruce's, and that's saying something.  Their search function is completely useless.  I am unable to search for a data package at all.  It requires that I log in and then proceeds to tell me what I already have and when it will expire and offers to renew now.  I can't get to anything else to choose another package.

Is this the point that I have to call them?  What about the $299 price versus the $404 price on the Avidyne site?  Would you happen to have the item number for the $299 navdata only product?  Thanks again for your effort in dealing with Jeppesen and for all of the other help you guys provide.  Tell Bob hi and thank him again for me.
Woo Hoo!!!
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:25pm
I called Jeppesen when I changed my subscription. They were easy to deal with on the phone, despite their abysmal web site. They sometimes don't know about the $299 for the whole US pricing, but they can check and find it. 
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Kentucky Captain Kentucky Captain wrote:

Your post above shows the Full USA ala carte price for the navdata is $299.

I'm looking at the Avidyne site
https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/
where it shows the pricing from Jeppesen and I don't see that one anywhere.  I do see item #11086905 at $409.
See below.  Don't confuse North America with Full USA.  Check two lines down from #11086905 at $409.  Everyone has had to get on the phone to get the Avidyne negotiated pricing.

Bob
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 8:53am

...Is this the point that I have to call them?  What about the $299 price versus the $404 price on the Avidyne site?  Would you happen to have the item number for the $299 navdata only product?...

Yes, get on the phone with them for best results.

As Bob H already pointed out, the $299 ala carte price is shown on our website. You have to go toward the bottom for the ala carte table.

The item numbers that we published in those tables were obtained directly from Jeppesen.  Sadly, the Jeppesen representatives on the phone cannot use those same numbers.  We've expressed our disappointment with that situation directly to Jeppesen in a meeting that we had with them earlier this year, and they are actively working to resolve that problem.  I don't fully understand, but apparently it's more difficult than one would think...

Looks like you barely got your vacation in before all of this Wuhan business started.  It was our pleasure to meet you both and to show you around the facility.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 11:28am

...Is this the point that I have to call them?  What about the $299 price versus the $404 price on the Avidyne site?  Would you happen to have the item number for the $299 navdata only product?...

As Bob H already pointed out, the $299 ala carte price is shown on our website. You have to go toward the bottom for the ala carte table.

The item numbers that we published in those tables were obtained directly from Jeppesen.  Sadly, the Jeppesen representatives on the phone cannot use those same numbers.  We've expressed our disappointment with that situation directly to Jeppesen in a meeting that we had with them earlier this year, and they are actively working to resolve that problem.  I don't fully understand, but apparently it's more difficult than one would think...

Looks like you barely got your vacation in before all of this Wuhan business started.  It was our pleasure to meet you both and to show you around the facility.

Thanks Bob H and Steve.  I don't know how I missed that. Like Bob said, I must have been looking at the North American and didn't see the Full USA.  I'll call them today.  Thanks for all your help.  As to the vacation, they were shutting everything down after we left, so I guess you could say we turned the lights off at Disney on the way out.
Woo Hoo!!!
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 6:02pm
Its been a year since it was originally requested (hopefully your done with RF legs) but how about adding Seattle Avionics as a database provider?  Every user of the IFD 400/500 series would benefit financially from this even if it was for only navdata and terrain.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 10:39am
Yes, what he   ^^^^^ said....
Sauce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 10:06pm

I called Jeppesen to renew last week and it was painless.  Kerri (I think) knew right away what I wanted and made the change from East USA at $404 to Full USA at $299.  Thanks to Avidyne for running the gauntlet for us and getting that worked out.
Woo Hoo!!!
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 6:21pm
After I finally got the IFD100 iPad App working properly and synched with my more stable WiFi on IFD540 #2, it looks like seeing the Jepp Charts on the Yoke-Mounted iPad Mini is better than FF or FlyQ... 

.  The price is right on the IFD100, so I am considering returning to Jepp Bundle for dual IFD540's and displaying Charts on IFD100 on yoke.
.  Will drop my FF subscription to "basic" only - no need for geo-referenced.
.  Seattle Avionics Download for Aspen MFD very difficult, finally crossed my personal minimums for PITA effort.

Tom W.
kenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 5:22pm
Did my renewal over the phone on Friday - completed in 3 minutes after a 7 minute hold.

Thank you Avidyne for negotiating the lower pricing - saved $192!

Ken
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by cavu cavu wrote:

Its been a year since it was originally requested (hopefully your done with RF legs) but how about adding Seattle Avionics as a database provider?  Every user of the IFD 400/500 series would benefit financially from this even if it was for only navdata and terrain.

While I have not appreciated Jeppesen's price gouging of the past and their terrible web sites, Seattle Avionics isn't a viable alternative for NavData. They don't have it for TSO IFR navigation. There's no point in asking Avidyne for something that doesn't exist.

I do have a Seattle Avionics subscriptions for charts on my Aspen MFD. I bought a lifetime subscription. That was about the same price as a year of Jeppesen charts for Western Canada and Alaska (Since Seattle Avionics doesn't have Canada coverage). It takes a long time to unzip all of the NACO charts and copy them to microSD cards every month.

EDIT: I bought the IFD540 NavData for the next year on the Jeppesen web site today for the Avidyne prices without a single phone call. Their web site still needs MUCH work. Do NOT just pay your invoices. Shop for Navigation Data, make sure you have your aircraft and devices set up. Select the data you want to buy and put it in your cart and pay for it. Today I purchased a year of North America NavData for $409 and a single update of North America Obstacle Data for $52. Minutes later I downloaded them in JDM.

Edited by skitheo - 27 Apr 2020 at 8:33pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:12am
Originally posted by skitheo skitheo wrote:

EDIT: I bought the IFD540 NavData for the next year on the Jeppesen web site today for the Avidyne prices without a single phone call. Their web site still needs MUCH work. Do NOT just pay your invoices. Shop for Navigation Data, make sure you have your aircraft and devices set up. Select the data you want to buy and put it in your cart and pay for it. Today I purchased a year of North America NavData for $409 and a single update of North America Obstacle Data for $52. Minutes later I downloaded them in JDM.

My invoice showed $404 for Eastern USA data.  That is what I paid last year.  You are correct, the website is a mess and there was no way for me to change it so I called.  I got the Entire USA navdata for $299.
Woo Hoo!!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 2:36pm
You still have to call in to get one of the bundles, which applies if you are looking for charts in addition to navdata.

* Orest
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 9:53am
Did my renewal yesterday via live chat. I already had a pending invoice showing up for $6xx for North America terrain+obstacles+navdata, and I couldn't buy the navdata-only bundle I wanted without clearing the invoice first. The live-chat option on the website worked well and Nancy was quickly able to remove the old invoice and add the package I wanted to my cart, at which point I bought it. Big improvement over the gymnastics needed for prior years' renewals.
GBSoren71965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 12:25pm
I also just did my renewal today, changed to the new Full USA nav data. Only took a couple minutes on the live chat feature. So much nicer than waiting on the phone!
260SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 260SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 3:17pm
First timer here.  Went to the MyPilotStore website and ordered the Full USA NavData yesterday afternoon, $299.  This morning I got an email from Jeppesen that they had set up a new user account and password for me and that I’m good to go for a year.  No fuss.  That was easy!
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 2:16pm
Ah, the joys of my annual renewal process with Jeppesen.  Knowing better than to rely on Jepp to understand their own process, I came here to review the latest information.  I see that the package I want--full USA Nav, Obstacles, and Terrain should be available as a bundle for $449.  Alternately, full USA Nav and Obstacles can be purchased ala carte via the website for $446.  By a slim $3 margin, Jepp has avoided the "less is more" moniker.

That also happens to be the same bundle I currently have.  I could just renew my current plan via the website, except that my renewal option uses the old pricing of $679.  I wonder how many users will continue to pay that much-higher price for years because they don't religiously follow the threads here where folks share information?

Per the Jepp website, for bundle pricing you have to call.  Everyone says calling Jepp is easiest.  If by "easiest" you mean "possible" is easiest compared to "impossible", then I agree calling is easiest.

But it's not necessarily easy.  I have been on hold now for 15 minutes.

God I love Jeppesen.....and by love I mean I hate Jeppesen.....

Edit:  After 27 minutes on hold, I had to hang up so I could dial into a work telecon.  Yet another significant chunk of time wasted by Jeppesen, and lingering hassle as I try to navigate a more-difficult-than-it-ought-to-be process to renew my data package.  AAARGH!!!

Edited by MysticCobra - 13 May 2020 at 2:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic