Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time to renew my nav/data plan....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

With the IFR bundles you get two mobile keys. Could you use one with ForeFlight and one with the IFD100? I use FF more than the IFD100.
With the new bundles, Foreflight support is a separate purchase.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Do you have any idea if one of the future bundles will be full USA but also Canada and Bahamas?
That's the North America coverage.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

What I would like is North America NavData and Obstacles. Hopefully that will happen soon. 
When it comes out, you'll want the bundle that has NavData, Obstacles, and Terrain.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 12:50am
Sadly, no price benefits for those of us in Australia. 

Thomas
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 6:53am
Is there a listing somewhere, or will it be posted?
David Gates
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:41am
Deepest appreciation to Steve and Avidyne for addressing this issue as they did. I wonder if there was a Garmin forum and a similar concern was raised how they would handle it (probably by banning the people posting :) ). Thx Much !!!
Rangemaster_Tango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rangemaster_Tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 4:12pm
This is a great result.  And it sounds like it will even get better.  Thanks again Steve.  
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by DH82FLYER DH82FLYER wrote:

Sadly, no price benefits for those of us in Australia.
I don't know what the old bundle price was, but a comparison of ala carte pricing for nav data shows a price delta of $15 US (old $404 vs new $389).
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Flyer2017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer2017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:44am
The new lower pricing from Jepp is nice but the bundle pricing seems high. I was getting under $500 pricing for my 430W for nav data and obstacle for the US. How about a bundle for the 440 that includes nav data, obstacle and charts and approach charts for the 100 for a good price? 

On another note, I emailed and talked to Seattle Avionics at AirVenture about the quality of their chart data. They said the FAA ranks their data the same as Jepps. How about a SA subscription as an option? It doesn't appear that quality is the question. For those of us in the US, it would probably be less expensive.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Flyer2017 Flyer2017 wrote:

The new lower pricing from Jepp is nice but the bundle pricing seems high. I was getting under $500 pricing for my 430W for nav data and obstacle for the US. How about a bundle for the 440 that includes nav data, obstacle and charts and approach charts for the 100 for a good price? 

On another note, I emailed and talked to Seattle Avionics at AirVenture about the quality of their chart data. They said the FAA ranks their data the same as Jepps. How about a SA subscription as an option? It doesn't appear that quality is the question. For those of us in the US, it would probably be less expensive.
Stay tuned for one of the upcoming bundles - you'll be pleased.

We have no plans to support Seattle Avionics charts.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Flyer2017 Flyer2017 wrote:

Seriously?  Avidyne listened to the users on this forum, worked with Jepp to negotiate better pricing (which couldn't have been easy), and even before the pricing is fully rolled out, the complaints about not having SA are already starting?  How about a courtesy hiatus until all the pricing is available?
Bob
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Stay tuned for one of the upcoming bundles - you'll be pleased.

We have no plans to support Seattle Avionics charts.

Thank goodness!!

Why would Avidyne waste precious engineering resources to solve a problem that doesn't exist? They already have a data solution that works and would have to re-certify a new solution - a complete waste of time for them.

All of us bought our units knowing that Jeppesen was the data provider with no mention from Avidyne that they would ever use Seattle Avionics. If another company happened to provide data that was $50 or $100 cheaper per year would it really change anyone's lifestyle? This is an old tired topic that keeps getting brought up over and over, even after Avidyne says it's not going to happen.

Getting back on topic, I am grateful that Avidyne is working with Jeppesen in creating bundles that are better priced and prefer to keep my mind focused on things much more positive and productive,

nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:17am
"All of us bought our units knowing that Jeppesen was the data provider with no mention from Avidyne that they would ever use Seattle Avionics. If another company happened to provide data that was $50 or $100 cheaper per year would it really change anyone's lifestyle? This is an old tired topic that keeps getting brought up over and over, even after Avidyne says it's not going to happen."

If it was 1 cent cheaper, I would do it. I have SA for all my other operations, 2 Aspen systems and FLY Q as well as my autoflight system, they are outstanding products and work perfectly.  I will continue to bring it up.

Edited by nrproces - 19 Aug 2019 at 10:18am
Sauce
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 11:00am
Well said Lance!!!  Those that continue to bring it up will just be banging their heads against a wall needlessly. I’m hoping Avidyne doesn’t feel the need to respond anymore until and if something ever changes. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

Why would Avidyne waste precious engineering resources to solve a problem that doesn't exist? They already have a data solution that works and would have to re-certify a new solution - a complete waste of time for them.

Getting back on topic, I am grateful that Avidyne is working with Jeppesen in creating bundles that are better priced and prefer to keep my mind focused on things much more positive and productive,

Hear, hear. Well put.

* Orest
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Hear, hear. Well put.

* Orest
And just to be clear about Jepp data;  "...they are outstanding products and work perfectly."
Bob
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm

Hear, hear. Well put.

* Orest

+1

An alternative data source would add zero functionality to my IFDs and has no priority for me. New functionality that allows me to fly approaches that I currently can't (but Garmin can) such as RF legs gives me new flying options and should be where Avidyne are placing their scarce resources. 
Vince
Flyer2017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flyer2017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:41pm
 If you are happy with Jepp's almost non-existent web site, bad customer service and over-priced offerings, then an alternate source of data won't matter to you.

I too am glad that Avidyne has managed to negotiate better pricing for some packages and gain some clarity about what Jepp is offering Avidyne customers. If there were an alternative data source such as Seattle Avionics perhaps Jepp would make some effort to clean up their act.. Doubtful, of course, as they seem thoroughly bogged down in too many layers of management and much more concerned with selling data to corporate and airline customers than to GA pilots.

Like others, if there were another choice, I would switch in a minute. 

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

[QUOTE=Flyer2017]Avidyne listened to the users on this forum, worked with Jepp to negotiate better pricing (which couldn't have been easy), and even before the pricing is fully rolled out, the complaints about not having SA are already starting?  How about a courtesy hiatus until all the pricing is available?

I called Jepp today to ask about the "New Bundle Pricing"... 
  . New Bundle $887, Full US Charts (plus Nav, Obstacles, Terrain) but only single IFD540 and no more FF Jepp Charts, just IFD100 Jepp Charts.   No more FF Jepp Charts - This would be additional - $$199 from FF.

. Old Bundle $940 includes Full US Charts (plus Nav, Obstacles, Terrain) allows for Dual IFD540's and FF Charts included.

I hope I am wrong, but unless you are willing to exchange your FF Jepp Charts for IFD100, Jepp Charts, the Old Bundle for dual IFD540's & FF seems like a much better deal!!

Tom W.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:10pm

Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

I called Jepp today to ask about the "New Bundle Pricing"... 

. New Bundle $887, Full US Charts (plus Nav, Obstacles, Terrain) but only single IFD540 and no more FF Jepp Charts, just IFD100 Jepp Charts.   No more FF Jepp Charts - This would be additional - $$199 from FF. 

. Old Bundle $940 includes Full US Charts (plus Nav, Obstacles, Terrain) allows for Dual IFD540's and FF Charts included. 

I hope I am wrong, but unless you are willing to exchange your FF Jepp Charts for IFD100, Jepp Charts, the Old Bundle for dual IFD540's & FF seems like a much better deal!! 

Tom W.

Did you go here before calling Jepp: https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/

I see this published there: 

Integrated Bundled Services.Avidyne IFD Series.Aircraft Bundle.Full USA IFR.Bundle Fee

$ 799

Unfortunately, Jepp customer service has not improved and they are not up to speed on the new pricing.  I would not trust anything they tell you unless it is confirmed by Avidyne.  Unfortunately for you and others, Steve indicated that FF support is a separate purchase.

Bob
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:52pm
The bundle for full US, including charts (the one listed by Bob H) is $799. The description by Avidyne says:

The Integrated Bundled Services subscriptions at the bottom of the list cover not only your IFD's but your MFD as well and include the following. NavData, Obstacle, Terrain, Charts, & includes 2 mobile keys for the IFD100 app. 

It would be nice if the IFD100 seats could be used for other EFBs. I’d prefer to activate one on ForeFlight, though I can live with just using AeroNav charts. I can also just get the NavData package for $299 and get the Jepp charts through ForeFlight and come out ahead.
programmer@pcmforles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote programmer@pcmforles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 11:16am
I think I'm going to just do the NavData for $299 and use my IFLY GPS for charts (not a FF user, I tried it, but just can't get used to it).   Maybe every other year, or every three years do the full bundle so I can get charts that are newer just to have and also update the Obstacle and Terrain (especially since those do not change much at all year to year)

doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:43pm
I just got the full USA for $799.  Kinda bummed it won't work with Foreflight, but it's better deal than I paid last year $1000+.  

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:56pm
Interesting that FF is not included, given that FF and Jepp are now integrating (e.g. Jepp Mobile FliteDeck VFR is being rolled into FF and stopped at the end of 2019 with only FF Mobile from 2020).

I'm not going to give up FF just to get charts included in the IFD bundle. As I understand it, the bundle with charts is still more expensive than navdata/obstacles without charts. If Jepp isn't able to give me a better IFD package including FF then I'll just stay as I am without the charts on the IFDs.

Also, if the above comparison "old bundle" vs "new bundle" is correct about the details, then the new bundle is actually more expensive than the old bundle, given that only one IFD is covered and no FF.

I think Jepp needs to try harder here. In fact, it almost looks like the Jepp group working with the in-panel providers like Avidyne aren't talking to the group working with FF on integration.

Edited by chflyer - 20 Aug 2019 at 1:05pm
Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 3:27pm
The Jepp-FF (Boeing) marketing is a bit obtuse, but very successful.

Old Bundle is about $50 more expensive, includes Jepp Charts on Dual IFD's and FF.
New Bundle is cheaper, but of course, less included: One IFD, and Charts only on IFD100, but NO FF Jepp Charts.
     . To then add Jepp Charts in FF, another $199 plus higher level FF subscription ($299/yr)!!

If you are inclined to use IFD100 App for Jepp Charts and forego FF Jepp Charts,  New Bundle!

Otherwise, better to stick to OLD Bundle, keep using FF Jepp Charts... OR 

3. Go FlyQ (SA) with free NACO Charts and Cheap NACO Aspen panel Charts alternative.

At least we have lots of choices!

Tom W.
SeanMollet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanMollet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 4:27pm
Clarification question, because I haven't installed my IFD 540 yet. If I want to use the IFD100 app, do I actually need the bundle or does that just enable Jepp charts? I don't need charts in the IFD app, but I do want to use it for other things.

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 6:22pm
You only need the bundle if you want the charts/approach plates. Fight plans, including approaches, only need the NavData subscription.

I find the IFD540 screen too small to effectively display approach plates on it. The IFD100 app might be OK, but I prefer to use ForeFlight on my iPad for the approach plates. These days, the AeroNav plates on FF are good enough for me for US use. I'd only need Jeppesen plates for the occasional trip outside the US.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 2:04pm
FYI, to avoid confusion and a time-wasting phone call to Jeppesen, let the person you talk to know that the new pricing is for the "new Avidyne model."  Otherwise, you may be told that the new pricing options do not exist.  :-)

P.S.  The $299 full USA navdata subscription for IFD’s is a far better price than what was previously available for that subscription.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 28 Aug 2019 at 2:15pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 2:11pm
Ah, the NEW Avidyne model!!

Of course.

* Orest
dudemize View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudemize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:05pm
Howdy all,

I just upgraded to the  new $299 annual Full USA NavData coverage.  Since doing so, I have been unable to download the NavData to my iPad for use with the IFD100 app.  After spending hours with Avidyne and Jeppesen technical support, Jepp is now saying that there is no mobile access with the plan.  If this is the case, then the IFD100 app will essentially be useless as there is no way to download current NavData to match the in panel unit.

Anyone else having this issue?  I never had any issues when doing one time NavData updates.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:06pm
If that’s true, then I’ll definitely be backtracking.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:15pm
That is strange.  I have not changed plans yet but Jepp definitely told me that the 2 mobile keys could be used on the IFD 100 but NOT on Foreflight.  As I still use FF, I chose not to change but I think that might be incorrect information they gave you.
dudemize View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudemize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:16pm
Jeppesen is still researching this.  My understanding is that there has never been any restrictions on mobile NavData access.  Charts, yes.  NavData, no.  

The message I’m getting is “No seats available”, when logging into the IFD100 app.
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 9:54am
I have the new $299 NavData pkg and I had utilized the IFD100 app last week and it worked with no issues. I did an IFD100 update at same time I updated the IFD440.
dudemize View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudemize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 12:43am
Good to hear.  Maybe something is screwed up in my account.  I’ll keep harassing Jeppesen until we get it figured out.
dudemize View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudemize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 9:18am
Well I received a message from Jeppesen support to try my login again on the IFD100 app and it worked like a charm.  I was able to activate the device and download the latest NavData.  Something must have been misconfigured in my Jepp account.

Glad to have that solved!
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:30pm
Pleased?   Not.  Pleased.   

So, I have a business trip to Cananda every year.  I was previously paying about $500 for nav data on two IFD-540s.  No charts.  (Because they were not worth the extra money to me).   

The cheapest way to get navdata (approaches) for Toronto for one week, is a tripkit, which is $280.  Ok, I can buy North America for a whole year. Not that that is what I need...   for the  $859 bundle.  $363 to get approaches into Toronto area for one week.    So, Jepp data costs more for this trip, than avgas, Engine holdback, etc.       Fantastic.   I LOVE spending almost $1000/yr  for data that is mostly data that the government generates and gives away for free.   

On the bright side, they DID know about the new plans, and I'll have plates on my IFD1000 and 540s.  So, there's that.   Of course, I already HAVE NOS charts on my ipad....  So... 

Thanks, Avidyne.  I get that you are trying.  But, this is Boeing Pricing.   Hell, I could have flown commercial for $363.  

Ken  (not too pleased). 

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:39pm
FWIW, navdata and charts in Canada are NOT free. They are about the same price as Jepps.

You can get the annual Jepp subscription to cover your trip, and then cancel it after your trip. That is the cheapest way to get the data, less than a "tripkit".

Also, for the occasional hop, you can get Canadian charts through FltPlan.com, using their FltPlan GO app. Remarkably, they are still free.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Sep 2019 at 4:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm
Thanks for the information.   I DO appreciate it. 

I CAN likely cancel after the trip.   I don't mean to imply that I think that this data should be free.  But, this pricing is just too much.  $859 is equivalent to, for instance,  1/3 an annual inspection.  Or half of my shadeport rent for the year.   

It's like, when my cable bill was WAY more than my electric bill:  "Hmm..  I can have heat and light and AC, or HBO..."

I did the fltplngo last year for charts on the ipad.  It was very nice.  Free was nice, too.   

Ken

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:16pm
I go to Mexico occasionally. The new price price for a North America navdata subscription is $409 (vs. $299 for US). I can change to this plan for a cycle or two whenever I want to cross the border. This data includes approach data, but not approach charts, so I can program an approach and the IFD will guide me along the way. I need look at the approach plates on my iPad.

I don't find approach charts all that useful on the IFD-540 either, so I have a lifetime IFR FlyQ EFB subscription which includes Southern Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America just for this purpose. I use ForeFlight inside the US. 

Next time, I will explore getting a Jeppesen subscription through FF, if I can cancel it after my trip and get a pro-rated refund. That way I won't have to switch apps for just the one trip.

I see on ForeFlight's web site that you can add Canada, including Nav Canada VNC Charts, IFR High and Low Charts, Plates and Taxi Charts for $100. Jeppesen charts for Canada are $179, if you really want those. I have no idea how good the Nav Canada charts are. 

I wish FF included the Mexico charts that FlyQ EFB has in their subscription. I don't know what the source is. I would not need FlyQ then. I pay for FF, even though I have a lifetime subscription to FlyQ, because I like FF so much better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:25pm
I have two 540s, and if they don't have the same navdata, no crossfill.  So, I had to do the bundle, which appears to be a GREAT DEAL, at  just over twice the single unit price.  It likley includes some other stuff.  

I am calming down.   Not upset at Avidyne, really.   I probably shouldn't have posted for a while.   I just feel like this data is WAY overpriced.  I just want the ability to shoot an approach at Buttonville, and maybe someplace else as an alternate, for a week. 

Ken
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:01pm

FWIW, navdata and charts in Canada are NOT free. They are about the same price as Jepps. 

Or one can get the TC/NavCanada charts on ForeFlight. Canada is one of three region options (Canada, USA, or Europe) included in the ForeFlight subscription price. A 2nd region costs an additional $100.

Of course on the IFD's the only choice is Jepp for navdata or charts.

Edited by chflyer - 10 Sep 2019 at 6:02pm
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:35pm
I don't really care about the Canadian charts electronically, at all.  For one trip, paper works FINE.   But, I NEED the data on the 540 to shoot an approach. 

Ken

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:33am
You don't have to get Charts to be able to shoot approaches. The base NavData is enough. You can then view the charts/plates elsewhere (paper, EFB, etc).

Can't you use a single NavData subscription to load both of the IFDs installed in a single plane? That would cost $409 for North America data. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:21am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

...Not upset at Avidyne, really.   I probably shouldn't have posted for a while.   I just feel like this data is WAY overpriced...
No problem, it's good to get the feedback.  I'm hoping that by the end of October, there will be a bundle that is better for you.  It still won't be < $500 if you want all of North America, but it will be better than $859.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
tahoeair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahoeair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 2:24am
I just got lied to several times by the Jeppesen rep on the phone.  The "new" JeppDirect website has been rebranded as Boeing services and every single NavData SKU is missing from the site, which forces us to have to call and get the runaround. 

I called and gave them my Jepp account number and said that I wanted SKU 11112978, as listed here: https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/  First the rep lied and said he couldn't find that SKU.  Then he said he didn't see anything for less than $799 per year, and then eventually lied again and said "oh here's the SKU you mentioned-- it's even highlighted for me in blue" 

We agreed that they would invoice me in December for that SKU after my 60-day trial is up.  Instead, they invoiced me today for $1,165 for SKUs 10502540, 10502550, 10502558, 10502629, 10523432, 10018502, 10018503, and 10018504.

This is deceptive, shady, unfair, and illegal.  They're using their monopoly position in the marketplace to abuse us Avidyne owners, knowing that we have no other options.  You can say there are other Engineering priorities at Avidyne, but honestly, I'm about a day away from returning my unit and buying a GTN.  I cannot understand why finding another data provider or going into the data business yourself is not a priority for the company.  Boeing (Jeppesen)'s bad behavior reflects poorly on your company as well.

If you don't have the resources to do it yourself then outsource it to someone else.  If Seattle Avionics already has the data, then pay them to do it.  I can't understand why there aren't multiple class action suits against Boeing already over this unethical behavior.
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 8:36am
Originally posted by tahoeair tahoeair wrote:

I just got lied to several times by the Jeppesen rep on the phone.  The "new" JeppDirect website has been rebranded as Boeing services and every single NavData SKU is missing from the site, which forces us to have to call and get the runaround. 

I called and gave them my Jepp account number and said that I wanted SKU 11112978, as listed here: https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/  First the rep lied and said he couldn't find that SKU.  Then he said he didn't see anything for less than $799 per year, and then eventually lied again and said "oh here's the SKU you mentioned-- it's even highlighted for me in blue" 

We agreed that they would invoice me in December for that SKU after my 60-day trial is up.  Instead, they invoiced me today for $1,165 for SKUs 10502540, 10502550, 10502558, 10502629, 10523432, 10018502, 10018503, and 10018504.

This is deceptive, shady, unfair, and illegal.  They're using their monopoly position in the marketplace to abuse us Avidyne owners, knowing that we have no other options.  You can say there are other Engineering priorities at Avidyne, but honestly, I'm about a day away from returning my unit and buying a GTN.  I cannot understand why finding another data provider or going into the data business yourself is not a priority for the company.  Boeing (Jeppesen)'s bad behavior reflects poorly on your company as well.

If you don't have the resources to do it yourself then outsource it to someone else.  If Seattle Avionics already has the data, then pay them to do it.  I can't understand why there aren't multiple class action suits against Boeing already over this unethical behavior.

The purchase of data from Jeppsen has nothing to do with Avidyne or Garmin.  It's just a subscription.  They would be doing the same thing to you regardless of which unit you have.  You need to know what you want when you order.  I've had my IFD540 for 4 years now with the same subscription.  I subscribe to the NavData only and it runs around $340 a year.  My thoughts on this are that terrain and obstructions don't change often and if you are IFR, you're above the MVA anyway.  I use ForeFlight for my charts and when I'm VFR, the terrain and obstructions there are up to date, plus you are looking out the window.  I see no reason to subscribe to anything other than NavData.  If you ever felt the need for updated terrain and obstruction data, you can always purchase a one time update.

In any case, I certainly wouldn't let a subscription dictate what GPS navigator that I use.  I came into my decision making about which navigator that I was going to buy with no preconceived ideas about either one.  I played with the simulators for both the GTN and IFD for an extended period before pulling the trigger and buying Avidyne.  I think that the IFD is the best solution by far not only for ease of use but also for the fact that I've had nothing but great service from Avidyne.  This forum is a great place too.  Avidyne listens to what we say here and is always ready to help, even incorporating our ideas and suggestions into future releases.  Good luck getting the big G to do that.  Avidyne has sent me multiple T-shirts, a leather case, prop socks, and even a blue tooth keyboard, all without asking for a dime.  Now if I could only get a hat.  I look awfully out of place with all of the Avidyne swag and a Garmin ball cap.
Woo Hoo!!!
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 10:35am
I don't believe that the individual reps are shady or deceptive. IMO it's just incompetence as a result of their very old school system. However, it's difficult to understand the corporate thinking behind not having a simple online order system. One thought is that they have so many pricing structures out there that they would take a hit if customers could look and compare.
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by GBSoren71965 GBSoren71965 wrote:

Mine is the nav/obsticle IFD440 bundle. I think you can only get data on the IFD100 by doing the "bundle". 
I would actually like to get updated charts on the IFD100, then I wouldn't have to go between the IFD100 and Flyq to see my charts. My charts on my IFD100 app are out of date and have the not for navigation watermark on them.

I only subscribe to the NavData for everything east of the Mississippi but including Texas at around $340/yr.  That allows me to keep the IFD540 up to date on all approaches and IFR flying.  It also allows me to keep the IFD100 up to date also.  Obstacles and Terrain very rarely change and if you are below the MVA you are either on an approach or visual.  I have charts on Foreflight.
Woo Hoo!!!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 9:46am
I see a bundle for those who have two IFD units, that includes navdata, terrain, and obstacles. I don't see one that includes charts. Is there one?

Thanks.
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic