Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Garmin G3X and IFD440/540 Compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inplaneview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garmin G3X and IFD440/540 Compatibility
    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 12:45pm
Garmin just announced the certification of their G3X for a number of certified airplanes.  I have an IFD440 in my Cardinal.  Will the IFD's will work with the G3X?

I have been waiting for word from BendixKing on the release of their Aerovue Touch EFD, but may decide to go with the G3X if it will work with my Avidyne.  (By there way...has anyone heard about when the Aerovue Touch may be available for purchase?)

Thanks,
Jim
KSSF
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 12:21am
Garmin was very specific in their webinar - the G3X will only support Garmin GPS units.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 4:53am
The prices that I've seen thrown around for the AeroVue Touch (BendixKing doesn't just publish pricing like G* does, which is silly these days) won't fit many/most SEP refit budgets. If BendixKing wants to address the same market as the G3X, then they need to certify their xVue and they need to do it fast or G* will have cornered that market too.
Vince
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:16am
See the following which mentions compatibility with the G3X in the next IFD software upgrade...

AviSteve : 10.2.3.1
Here is a more detailed list of changes:

Interfaces
  Scale roll steering for G3X compatibility

Thomas
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:52pm
That suggests Avidyne made the IFD compatible with the experimental G3X.  Maybe they can certify with the G3X like they did with G5.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 12:06pm
We've done some work to support a customer who has interfaced an IFD and a G3X in his experimental.  That's the source of the comment in the 10.2.3.1 release notes.  However, we haven't done any formal flight testing with the G3X here and it is not currently listed in the STC.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Inplaneview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inplaneview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the reply Steve.  I'd bet there are a lot of guys like me with a 440 or 540 and still looking for the right glass package to update their panel with.  I'm waiting to hear more from BendixKing regarding their Aerovue Touch, but I don't want to wait forever.  That's why the G3X has my interest.
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:24pm
If the 540 looks just like a 530 to the G3X, is this just a paperwork issue?

Rolfe

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

If the 540 looks just like a 530 to the G3X, is this just a paperwork issue
Most likely.  We would want to do comprehensive testing just to be sure.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Inplaneview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inplaneview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

If the 540 looks just like a 530 to the G3X, is this just a paperwork issue
Most likely.  We would want to do comprehensive testing just to be sure.

Steve,

Can you elaborate a little on your response?  Does Avidyne plan to ensure the IFD440/540 will fully interface with the G3X in certified aircraft?  When can we expect this to be accomplished?  

Thanks,
Jim
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:33am
We've have heard of (and helped with) installations where integration of a G3X with an IFD has been successful.  Based on those interactions, we have even included a change in 10.2.3.1 having to do with scaling a roll steering signal to better support G3X.

That said, we don't have a G3X here on a bench or in a plane, nor do we have enough reliable, official documentation on the G3X to comfortably claim it in our STC at this point.  Depending upon workload and equipment/documentation availability, we may be able to do it in 10.3, but I don't know of any definitive plan for inclusion in that release yet.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
fdombroski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdombroski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 9:07am
Hello Steve,

I have an RV-8 with full G3X suite.  I have a Garmin 430W installed, and could test the IFD440 if you would like an experimental test user?  I am familiar with the IFD, so no learning curve to familiarize with the system.  If you have a test sequence, I can work with you to verify all functionality.

Let me know if you are interested.

Best,
Frank
2003 Columbia 350
Vans RV-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic