Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wish List: Seattle Avionics Chart Option

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wish List: Seattle Avionics Chart Option
    Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 1:20pm
It'd be nice to include the option to use Seattle Avionics geo referenced Terminal Procedures and/or L-Charts as an option in place of Jepp chart data.

AviMike View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 3:02pm
Roltman,

Yes, we agree and a few of us have been speaking with Seattle Avionics.  They have a great product and a great price.  We understand that many pilots are frustrated with paying the high price for charts on your avionics while they are dirt cheap on your Ipad. 

Our Release 9 product uses Jeppesen charts and they work very well.  They are georeferenced so we can overlay the flight plan and the ownship.  We know how to do it but haven't done it with anyone except Jepp at this point.  We'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
- Mike
Fred Moskol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Moskol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 3:56pm
Absolutely agree that Seattle Charts are the way to go.  Several of my students are using the iPad with these charts.  No need to pay the high Jepp prices these days.  I've been a Jepp subscriber for more than 30 years and now discontinuing it. With Georeferenced Seattle Charts there's no competition.  Always loved Jepps, but not for the 10x price differential.
Fred Moskol CFII
AviMike View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 11:00am
I had a good conversation at AOPA with John Rutter, President of Seattle Avionics.  We mostly talked about how to use ConnectedPanel to have Voyager and IFD540 communicate with each other.  But we did speak quite a bit about NAS and NACO charts, geo-referenced charts, etc. 

We will be staying in touch and exploring future possibilities.

- Mike
Fred Moskol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Moskol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 12:23pm
Mike, Very pleased and encouraged that you are responding to a couple of us who have purchased the IFD540(I'm a partner of Bryan Kust who bought it at EAA). Thank you for the update. Based on the wide acceptance of these charts as evidenced by articles in the American Bonanza Society Magazine as well as Flying Mag, this product would leap ahead of Garmin's GTNs sales. Hope your marketing folks can work well with the engineers.
Fred Moskol CFII
Flierx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flierx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 8:38pm
Using Seattle Avionics charts would be a tremendous sales advantage for Avidyne! 
Jepp charts have a stanglehold on certified avionics and price/attitude accordingly.  The release information for the IFD540 indicates C9 (Jepp) Charts.  Bummer of a selection.
Folks with Garmins already know the di$advantage of Jepp$ and would realize without much efffort the benefit of Seattle Avionics. 
Hope there's change in the air!  It would be to Avidyne's advantage!
Keep it safe!
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 10:03pm
I think the issue will be DO-200A compliance....then they wont be cheap anymore
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 7:06am
We understand the continued interest in a Seattle Avionics solution and find it very attractive ourselves.  We are close contact with Seattle Avionics and are jointly investigating the possibility of a partnership.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 1:42pm
Did the partnership ever materialize?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:27pm
Not for the initial release.  Too many gaps in global coverage right now means we had too accommodate two different database supplier protocols and update processes.

We're definitely not giving up but we had to make a time-to-market decision for this initial product release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 2:36pm
Just for clarification, and to eliminate the confusion between CHARTS, PLATES, NAV DATA, and APPROACH DATA.

CHARTS, are the enroute. lo or hi alt, sectionals, etc
PLATES, are the approach plates, info to shoot the approach
NAV DATA is the info that makes up a the data we use to nag with on the 540 (EX500, 750), some from the IFR lo alts, some from the sectionals, etc. VORs, airways, airspace, airports, etc.
APPROACH DATA is the info in the GPS that puts the approach info on the MFD and makes flying the GPS approach legal.

I don't believe Seattle supplies any APPROACH DATA, but they do have some NAV DATA used in their Voyager. What we REALLY NEED for our 540 are these two products that will get us away from JEPP, which I can't wait for. We could do without nav data IF we could look at a lo or hi alt chart on the 540, however the nav data can give a much better display, able to declutter, etc, and much more useful. However, we do need current APPROACH DATA to shoot the approach.

So, can we get Seattle to supply the above? Hope so.... would be a great option.

(personally, I could care less about a geo ref plate. The last thing I'd be looking at during an approach would be that.)

Larry Olson

Larryo
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 10:08am
Larry, et al,

The message couldn't be clearer.   To satisfy the needs/wants of virtually the entire user community and to be competitive with the alternatives, something has to dramatically change on pricing/availability/distribution means for some or all of the aviation data.

I can say this is a very active thread within Avidyne and that we're not done until we have that type of offering.  Heck, even our CEO has made this one of his personal missions to get accomplished and he will get results.

I don't know exactly what and when those results will pop out but I do know he will be successful in the quest.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 12:03pm
Jake,

REALLY glad to hear that! Thx....
Larryo
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 8:28am
All,

Want to say I had a great time meeting the Avidyne crowd at SnF last week, and playing with the 540. It's gonna be a neat box.

There was a rumor floating around that the Jeppesen database was chosen for the initial product because it was thought to be "more professional". I hope it goes without saying that a rumor like this is nothing further from the truth. Seattle Avionics has excellent products, and certainly better service than Jepp and would hopefully be a great fit with the 480 in the future. 

Edited by Larryo - 18 Apr 2013 at 12:10pm
Larryo
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Larryo Larryo wrote:

Want to say I had a great time meeting the Avidyne crowd at SnF last week, and playing with the 480. It's gonna be a neat box.

Playing with a 480? Did you mean the 540? In any case, I'm jealous.

Personally, I use Jepp for plates and charts so happy to see it as the default. I fly extensively throughout  Canada and the US, so Jepps give me a single consistent form. I also really like their formats.

But as long as you get a choice I suppose.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Apr 2013 at 9:13am
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by Larryo Larryo wrote:

Want to say I had a great time meeting the Avidyne crowd at SnF last week, and playing with the 480. It's gonna be a neat box.

Playing with a 480? Did you mean the 540? In any case, I'm jealous.

Personally, I use Jepp for plates and charts so happy to see it as the default. I fly extensively throughout  Canada and the US, so Jepps give me a single consistent form. I also really like their formats.

But as long as you get a choice I suppose.

* Orest

Orest,

Yes, is the 540, I've played enough with the 480.... 
And, I've used Jepp in my professional career for years, but their cost is just prohibitive for us guys that are trying to save some beer money. I also used both formats for years, and had no issues, if someone else is paying for the Jepp stuff.
Larryo
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 1:35pm
Hee, hee, yes the 540. The 480 was quite a nice unit too.

For us Canadians, we are used to paying Jepp-like prices for our NavCanada plates, so if you have to fly in Canada the differential between Jepp for US/Canada, and NavCan for Canada + NACO for US is somewhat less. That is part of the reason I use Jepps, personally.

Our beer is about twice the price as well. ;-)

BTW, can you tell us of one or two particularly cool things you noticed, playing with the 540?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Apr 2013 at 1:38pm
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 2:45pm
Orest,

Overall, I found it pretty user friendly.... I just went thru setting up a plan, making changes, modifying things to see how easy it was... and it is easy. Seems like there's more than one way to operate it... with the touch or knobs or both. 

I did like the option that the user can define his declutter. I like the "expand" or "condense" feature on the flight plane, similar to the 480. I like the option that one can put altitudes in fields of the waypoint. And the altitude could be defined as a crossing point xxx miles from the wpt, making v nav easy. However, the vnav gives an "altitude to be at" not a glide path indicator, which I'd prefer.

I'd like the box that contains the wpt to be smaller, so one could see many more wpts along the side menu, but a small point. And, there's a dedicated page with the wpts list across the whole screen, which gives some options on handling flight plans.

Another MAJOR thing is that what one puts an approach in, the airport wpt is retained, not like the 480 which is a PITA... How many times do you just finish loading the approach and they say vectors for a visual. I've got a second GPS so not a huge issue, but often go back in the 480 and add the airport back in. 

Fun to play with....
Larryo
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 3:58pm
For sure, thanks!

* Orest

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 5:10pm
If Avidyne needs to choose a single chart option, then I'm glad they chose Jepp. Thank you Steve.

I agree with everyone that Jepp have abused their monopoly to keep prices high but if Seattle Avionics were the only choice then the IFD540 would not be an alternative to Garmin outside North America since Seattle Avionics does not have international coverage. As far as I am aware, Jepp is the only supplier in Europe of IFR data in a format suitable for integration into the IFD540 flight plans, such as approaches.

BTW,
This is also the reason why the popular US tablet apps from Seattle Avionics, ForeFlight, Hilton Software, etc are useless in Europe. Fortunately, there are good alternatives for VFR flight such as EasyVFR (PocketFMS) which covers Europe, Australia/NZ, and USA/Canada for a single reasonable yearly fee. But even for them, some countries require users to pay extra for the VFR data (some IFR data such as airport & approach plates is free in Europe !!).

Vince
Vince
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 7:45pm
http://www.seattleavionics.com/Documents/EUChartsCoveragePlatesPublic.pdf

WRT to Europe, I guess Kosovo and the Faroe Islands, must have quite the market share such that all North American customers subsidize their coverage through higher fees.

Yeah, my reply is tongue and cheek, but it's a simple image viewer, and doing both products should be trivial unless there are contractual obligations with Jepp preventing Seattle Avionics' use.

However if Aspen could do it, I'd hope Avidyne could too. I'm not sure where the negotiations were left after KOSH 2013. Steve do you know?

Edited by roltman - 01 Feb 2014 at 7:50pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 12:32pm
We love Seattle Avionics.  I haven't checked recently but at the time, we had to lock a supplier down and Seattle had too many coverage holes.

I'm afraid it is not a trivial operation to certify our (or anyones) software with an additional data type and data supplier.  That was time we were not willing to spend when a number of users would then have to get some data from Seattle and some from Jeppesen.

Remember too that the IFD540 has an obstacle database to download for the FLTA algorithms.

As I noted earlier, we'd love to re-engage when we get through our current backlog of 540 and 440 cert.  We'll see.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic