Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Release 10.2.3.1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:32am
Agree!   She is fabulous.   A real asset to Avidyne. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:34am
Originally posted by migs migs wrote:

Other than the change in the manual, have there been any changes to the software regarding the G5? I have a G5 HSI, a KAP140 autopilot and an IFD540. Since the G5 was installed the autopilot cannot track a VOR course. It can track the localizer, and a GPS course, but not a VOR course.

Is Avidyne aware of this issue? Are any software changes coming in with the next release related to this problem?

Thanks.
I haven't heard of that particular behavior, but so many of these things depend on the suite of installed equipment in the aircraft.  10.2.3.1 does have a small change related to G5 and it does have to do with selected course, so I'm hoping that will fix your problem. It won't be long until you're able to determine that...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
migs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote migs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:27am
Thanks for the reply. I am looking forward to testing the new release. I am hoping that it will address other issues we have with the IFD540 (SiriusXM radio support on GDL69A, spurious "Datalink data not received" messages).
I am going to post a description of my issue with the G5 on the G5 thread, and I will update after we install the new release.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:13am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

It won't be long until you're able to determine that...

:-)  Racing up on the end of April .... hint, hint.

Vince
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:49am
I’ve got to sympathize with anyone who tries to get anything certified through the FAA. I’ve been watching SureFly’s experience getting their electronic ignition certified through the ineptitude of these “professionals”. 
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by MarkZ MarkZ wrote:

I’ve got to sympathize with anyone who tries to get anything certified through the FAA. I’ve been watching SureFly’s experience getting their electronic ignition certified through the ineptitude of these “professionals”. 

Ineptitude?  That’s kind of harsh given the likelihood you have no personal knowledge of the give and take that is actually going on. People working for manufacturers screw up plenty as well - as anyone who has worked for a company with more than a few employees knows well.  I for one am glad somebody is verifying the safety of the stuff we are sold (I would not want to fly if my certified plane and its equipment were no safer than the buyer-beware experimental scene).

And when the FAA delegates this oversight responsibility to the manufacturer- bad things can happen.  Boeing, for example, is not going to be publishing financial forecasts for the rest of this year. Who knows when they will again at this point.

I understand that some folks don’t mind the buyer-beware approach, as it works for most household products, and it makes things significantly cheaper.  But as one of those who are willing to fly in only certified airplanes with certified equipment, I’m appreciative of the effort the FAA and the people working in it put to make “certified” something I can count on.

The experimental market is flourishing for those who think the FAA is just an albatross around the necks of our straight-arrow defect-free aviation enterprises yearning to break free.  The FAA itself says go ahead, have at it if you want.  And yes, no one can disagree that it’s a lot cheaper way to fly if you’re willing to accept the risk.   
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 11:05pm
There's nothing to blame on the FAA for this delay.  Finding errors late in the process just has a bigger impact than finding them early.  I still haven't given up on April, but it could be the 30th.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Lachgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 10:39am
Steve, I think I’m safe saying we are all glad for the diligence of those who review and test.  
Gary
Gary
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 6:32am
Good news from the "Avidyne Pilots' Club" Facebook group: the keeper of the group (maybe Kelly?) posted an update yesterday that said "Waiting on FAA approval on 10.2.3.1. If we could tell you how long it will take you know we would."
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:19am
If you look at the glass half-full, we met our April date because we submitted to FAA!  If you look at the glass half-empty, we'll be a few days late :)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:18pm
>>>we'll be a few days late :)<<<

STONE THEM!!!!!
Regards,
Randy
(Just joking... Keep up the good fight.)
Regards,
Randy
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 6:45am
Steve,

With 10.2.3.1 now available on the sim/trainer (where it shows as 10.2.3), the question arises about whether an IFDxxx manual update is planned.

Looking at your list of changes in the release, a few don't jump out during a first use of the new trainer release (perhaps they will with more practice):
- display and editing features of Airways, SIDs, STARs, and Approaches
- no transition for SIDs and STARs

I see that setup now has a zoom option for the screen, and wifi on/off has been replaced by Network Off or LIO_WIFI, which I assume is the name of the currently configured wifi network (still done in maintenance mode?).

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do the T and S represent in the TAT and SAT acronyms?

Airspace lines are much clearer now... a nice improvement.

Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:10am
- Yes, there is a Pilot's Guide update ready to go just waiting for 10.2.3.1 to be approved.  Maybe I can get that posted early.  I'll try.

- You'll notice slight changes in the way that procedure brackets are displayed.  They now illustrate the situation better when a waypoint is shared between two procedures.  Also, you are now able to delete some legs within terminal area procedurs.

- When you are selecting an enroute transition for SIDs and STARs, you'll now be presented with an option for "None" (i.e. no enroute transition).  Note that if the procedure has no enroute transitions or if the common segment has no legs, the option will not be presented.

- You still set up networks in Maintenance mode.  However, you can set up more than one (like maybe a local one and a remote one for a Stratus).  Then, you can switch between the two in flight mode on the Setup page without having to go back to Maintenance mode.

- TAT = Total Air Temperature
- SAT = Static Air Temperature

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:24am

- You still set up networks in Maintenance mode.  However, you can set up more than one (like maybe a local one and a remote one for a Stratus).  Then, you can switch between the two in flight mode on the Setup page without having to go back to Maintenance mode.

That is really cool, and will help us a lot to quickly change the operational mode. Many thanks!
Vince
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:28am

- When you are selecting an enroute transition for SIDs and STARs, you'll now be presented with an option for "None" (i.e. no enroute transition).  Note that if the procedure has no enroute transitions or if the common segment has no legs, the option will not be presented.

SWEET. 

No, seriously. Atlanta Center gives me the SWTEE.1 arrival *all the time* with no transition and it's a PITA to set up. This will solve that nicely. Thanks to you and the team for getting this in.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

SWEET. 

No, seriously. Atlanta Center gives me the SWTEE.1 arrival *all the time* with no transition and it's a PITA to set up. This will solve that nicely. Thanks to you and the team for getting this in.
I agree.  I often get no-transition SIDs and STARs, and am looking forward to this.  I also often get clearances that include an intermediate waypoint along the STAR, so I'm also looking forward to the new leg-deletion feature.  Thanks, Steve!
Lachgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 5:51pm
I’ve never been assigned a STAR, so trying to understand the matter under discussion, how does ATC specifically assign the SWTEE intersection, and to which arrival?  Then, what is it that makes that a difficulty with our IFD’s?  Pardon my ignorance.
Gary
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 7:22am
(for reference: see the plate: https://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/current/SE-4/swtee_one_rnav_star.pdf)

The IFD expects that when you load the arrival, you'll either load BIZKT.SWTEE1 or LPTON.SWTEE1. When I fly in from north Alabama, my direct route will normally take me north of those routes, so typically when I'm somewhere just northwest of RMG, ATC will call me and amend my route to give me something like "direct OKRAA, thence the SWTEE1 arrival". It's simple enough to load the STAR and then sequence the leg I want, but it would be easy-er if I could load the arrival when I get it even if there's no assigned transition.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Lachgn Lachgn wrote:

I’ve never been assigned a STAR, so trying to understand the matter under discussion, how does ATC specifically assign the SWTEE intersection, and to which arrival?  Then, what is it that makes that a difficulty with our IFD’s?  Pardon my ignorance.
And in my case, I often get initial clearances like IDU9.IDU then to some other waypoint not on the IDU9 SID (page 1, page 2), but the IFD currently doesn't allow me to make IDU the end of the SID.  Instead, it makes me pick a transition that's not part of my clearance, which results in waypoints in my fligthplan that are not part of my clearance, and I can't delete them.  That means I'm taking off with a known-wrong flight plan loaded in my IFD.  When I'm in the air and get to the last SID waypoint that's part of my clearance (IDU, in this case), I have to manually take action to choose "direct-to" the next waypoint I'm actually cleared to and skip over the unneeded SID transition waypoints.  This is a time-critical action to maintain my cleared flight path; if I miss it, the autopilot will fly me on the wrong path.  The only workaround to this is to manually enter the subset of SID waypoints I'm actually cleared for, which can sometimes be a lot so I usually just set a timer and pay attention.

Coming home, like paulr, I am often given a clearance that includes a STAR, like BLUBL3.  The clearance I get on the ground matches one of the published transitions (say, CLL.BLUBL3), but on one route I commonly fly, shortly after takeoff I almost always get an amended clearance that includes "direct BLUBL", bypassing any of the published transitions.  Again, I can't currently delete waypoints that are part of a published transition, but in this case at least I can enter BLUBL as a separate waypoint in my IFD flight plan before the STAR, and once I'm on that leg, scroll down to the BLUBL waypoint that's part of the STAR and choose "direct-to" that waypoint to join the STAR.  That eliminates the time-criticality of making the change...I have the whole time I'm flying the "first" leg to BLUBL to remember to take this extra "direct-to" action.

These limitations have ancillary annoying effects, too.  All of the IFD's fuel planning projections, ETA and ETE projections, etc. are inaccurate while the flight plan still includes waypoints I'm not flying to.  

For years I have relied on my $200 uncertified EFB (which does allow editing SIDs and STARs) in these cases because the $15,000 certified navigator in the panel has these limitations, so this is a much appreciated change!

Edited by MysticCobra - 03 May 2019 at 8:33am
Lachgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 10:28am
Wonderful explanations from Paulr and MysticCobra.
Thank You!
Gary
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:32pm
My IFD 540 (2015 build) is at Avidyne now being updated/modified as necessary.

I’m hoping we can get this latest mod done while it’s there (realizing I have no control or say in the matter).

Jim
Stevei View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 4:32am
i’m Having a Garmin 345 installed in 10 days and was going to have them do the software update at that time.

Should I delay and reschedule the appointment?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Stevei Stevei wrote:

Should I delay and reschedule the appointment?
No guarantees, but I think I'd roll the dice and keep the appointment.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 11:02am
Must be close now. The 10.2.3.1 manual versions have appeared on Avidyne.com
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 11:32am
You have good timing Vince.  I just got word that...

10.2.3.1 is approved!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 11:56am
awesome!!!!!  Thanks Steve and Avidyne!
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:29pm
Steve, can we get a list with details of what's in it? THANKS!!
Jim Patton
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

Steve, can we get a list with details of what's in it? THANKS!!
The list is at the beginning of this thread.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:25pm
Steve:
Why the departure from what many of us have done in the past where dealer cooperatively is a challenge?

Many of us have obtained the firmware and instructions and done the upgrade with our AI with the AI sign off at the end.

Now that won't be a viable path?

Edited by ddgates - 10 May 2019 at 1:26pm
David Gates
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:02pm
If Avidyne still has my IFD 540 I hope they upgrade it to 10.2.3.1 as well!

Jim
AlexTB20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexTB20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:32pm
How can we download and install it? 
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Steve:
Why the departure from what many of us have done in the past where dealer cooperatively is a challenge?

Many of us have obtained the firmware and instructions and done the upgrade with our AI with the AI sign off at the end.

Now that won't be a viable path?

Where did you see this? I've only had my IFD for 5 weeks and the shop that installed it is a 300nm r/t. I've got avionic techs, APs and IAs where I live and would surely hate to have to travel for a simple update.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:06pm

You have good timing Vince.  I just got word that...

10.2.3.1 is approved!

Nice timing, I just downloaded the GPS rollover fix, but now I can jump to 10.2.3.1.  Looking for where to get the SW for my IA.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:42pm
I know you all have been waiting a while, but give us a day or two to get it all posted to the dealer website.  Some of you asked about doing it yourself and I don't readily have the answer to that.  I'll check into it next week and post back.

In the meantime, as Vince noticed, the pilot's guides have been updated and posted to the website.  The biggest change to the pilot's guides is that there are now only two - one for the 500 series and one for the 400 series.  Features that are only available to specific models or configurations are marked as such.

Also, the updated IFD100 will be released to the app store next week.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 12:20am
Yes, most of us do not want to waste a day plus the gas to travel to a distant Avydine dealer to do a simple software upgrade. On the GPS fix you set it up so the software could be downloaded to the user, along with a form thay had to be signed off by our local AI. This form was then faxed back to Ayidyne. That's what I did for the GPS fix, why would this (or any other) software upgrade be any different.

Still learning this box.
Claude
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 12:24am
BTW, I also have a Power Cart to plug into my aircraft so I do not have the not enough battery power issue.
Claude
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:27am
BTW, Steve, the updated PG is really nice.

Looking forward to seeing the updated IFD100 app.
David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:57am
Originally posted by allenc3 allenc3 wrote:

Yes, most of us do not want to waste a day plus the gas to travel to a distant Avydine dealer to do a simple software upgrade.

This and I've had the dealer send back multiple units under warranty.  I can't imagine anything that would show that the dealer is more capable of these simple upgrades than a local IA.  We go through this evolution on every single release, I also wish this would settle on a standard process.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 10:13am
In defense of Avidyne, it’s understandable why they have a large fee when a customer bricks a unit doing a software change. Some (like the GPS patch) are much easier than others. When a dealer does the install, they assume the responsibility if something goes wrong. When the install is done under the supervision of an A&P, there is risk involved which may cost a lot more than a trip to a dealer for the install. 
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 12:08pm
If you can't follow simple directions updating a computer system from a thumbdrive, you probably need to find another hobby or advocation.

If you dont have the ability or resources (Power Cart, etc) then by all means, spend the time and the money going to a dealer, but for the rest of use, at least give us the option.
Claude
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 7:25pm

"The Avidyne position is that any shop that holds a repair station certificate, an A&P, or an Experimental Aircraft owner with log book signoff authority can perform the update. The person performing the update must follow the provided Service Bulletin explicitly and mail/fax/email back in the completed update sheet that is part of the Service Bulletin but Avidyne does not restrict this to just Avidyne Service Centers."

This is a quote taken verbatim from the most recenty released Pilot Guide.

David Gates
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:03am
That's great!  The maintenance shop on the field where we keep our plane did the patch with us - we set up the GPU, obtained the update and documentation, they looked it over, verified, and signed it off.  It was faster, more convenient, and a lot less expensive than bringing the plane to an avionics shop.

Now I just need directions for how to obtain the 10.2.3.1 update and the documentation.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 6:31pm
And now I have a question around 10.2.3.1 which crosses several systems; ADS-B, active traffic, and the IFD5XX units.

A number of us have TAS-6XX-A units which acquired the -A (ADS-B IN) functionality this past summer.

Now, we have a box that merges active transponder interrogation (TAS) with air to air ADS-B (1090ES), as well as ADS-R (978) on 1090, and TIS-B.

Reading the 10.2.3.1 PG (which BTW is very well done), it indicates that the boxes can display TAS/TCAS traffic in traditional TCAS (diamond) symbology, and it also indicates that the IFDs can display ADS-R, ADS-B, and TIS-B traffic in ATAS (triangle) symbology with position vectors and direction.  This aligns with AC20-172B.  Up until now, all the traffic sent to the IFD from the TAS-A box has been displayed in TCAS format.   Previous communications from Simpson indicated that the additional information for ATAS is in the data stream, requiring the box to request.   Is enablement of ATAS symbology for appropriate targets now enabled in 10.2.3.1?

Maybe too much to hope for but that is where the PG would lead the uninformed..

Thanks.

Edited by ddgates - 12 May 2019 at 6:33pm
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:36pm
Well expressed question, David.

We are waiting with bated breath to try v10.2.3.1 to see if our TAS-A boxes will now unlock the derived target Direction-Vector and display as a "UAT" look alike using only the 1090-In ADS-B and ADS-R targets.  

Then, per the new Pilot Manual, will set the IFD540#1 RS-232 to display Ryan TCAD and Skytrax Wx, and IFD#2 to Skytrax Traffic + Wx (and set Transponder to 1090 = On and 978 = Off) - seeing "UAT-Like" symbology on IFD#1 and 978-In UAT on IFD#2.

Tom W.
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:19pm
Avidyne apparently is not aware of there own policies. I called them and they insisted in needs a dealer to upgrade. Told them that is not what their lateset pilot guide states, Said they would get back to me (waiting). BYW, I have cut and pasted the exact quote from their guide:

IFD400 Series Pilot Guide
6-62 General
SOFTWARE UPDATES With very few exceptions, all software inside the IFDs is capable of being updated via the USB connections as well. This means the IFD does not need to be returned to the factory for any future software updates. The Avidyne position is that any shop that holds a repair station certificate, an A&P, or an Experimental Aircraft owner with log book signoff authority can perform the update. The person performing the update must follow the provided Service Bulletin explicitly and mail/fax/email back in the completed update sheet that is part of the Service Bulletin but Avidyne does not restrict this to just Avidyne Service Centers.

Claude
Claude
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:47pm
I have gotten the software for two prior software updates, and installed it with my A&P overseeing the process and signing off the installation. This time, tech support is insisting that my A&P has to request the software update themselves as they will not send it to an owner unless it is for an experimental airplane. 

I am very disappointed with this new policy. It makes it far more difficult than necessary to update the firmware. My A&P is very busy and it may take a while before he can get to writing e-mails to Avidyne. I generally help him out with the leg work and even during owner-assisted annuals. I don't have a problem with the A&P signing off the installation, but I shouldn't have to jump through any hoops to just download the file for the update. After all, I am the owner/operator with final responsibility for the proper operation of the plane. 

What is the motivation for changing the prior policy? Are there too many issues with owners breaking their IFDs? I have a GPU and I understand avionics as well or better than many A&Ps. 

Edited by HenryM - 13 May 2019 at 2:49pm
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:05pm
Well I was not even givin that option. Was told Ihad to go to a dealer!!

Claude
Lachgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:47pm
I’m pressed for time so rather than wait for when or if we are going to be able to do the update ourselves, I just had my avionics shop do it.  They worked me in a couple hours after my call to them.  It took a couple hours there but was done with no difficulties.  I’m grateful they could do that but dang!  $217!  On testing, I learned flight plan cross loading is disabled between the 440 and IFD100 now due to software version mismatch.  So now we wait for THAT new s/w.  (sigh)
At least Apple won’t hit me for $.
Hopefully.
Gary
Jessesaint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessesaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:15pm
I'll make an offer to anybody on this list to upgrade their software for $50 through the end of May if they fly in to X35 airport in Dunnellon, FL. I have installed 2 updates so far. It does take time, but it's quite straightforward. It's not labor-intensive, but it takes over an hour just to run the update, plus getting all of the settings transferred. For this offer, you will need to have at least a relatively new version of existing software so I don't have to double update, which some units may require.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:34pm
Thaks for the offer, Jessie. I wish I lived closer to you.

I wonder what changed since the last upgrades that were more easily available to owners with an A&P willing to sign off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic