Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feature request - User Waypoint behavior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feature request - User Waypoint behavior
    Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 7:36pm
I'm starting a separate thread to encourage discussion on a specific area - user waypoints.
Currently User defined waypoints are only useful to add to flight plans.  I'd like to see them shown on the map when they are not a point in the current active plan.  I would love to see a checkbox on the user waypoint creation page that means "show on map even if not in the active flight plan.  Part two, I'd love for those selected to show on the SV screen.
What do you think - discussion...
Jim Patton
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 9:05pm
How would you use this, not the mechanics, but what benefit would they provide to your flying?
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:47pm
One example, I have created several waypoints in the general vicinity of my home airport that show on non-avation GPS but won't show on the 540.
Jim Patton
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 8:47am
Outside of flight plans, user waypoints are useful as general landmarks for touring or area avoidance. Of course, you can always just enter them into a portable device, where they will display, but I have always found it odd that you can't make that work in the IFD.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:33am
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

One example, I have created several waypoints in the general vicinity of my home airport that show on non-avation GPS but won't show on the 540.

This what I was envisioning, but they'd only be useful to the pilot that created those waypoints and that pilot is already familiar with the area, so I figured just looking outside would be sufficient.  I guess all the times I've needed non-charted waypoints was for personal sightseeing or for special event fly-ins, where I use those waypoints in the flight plan.

Thinking about this a little, I can see the benefit if putting a waypoint at a TFR, the closest point on the radius of a TFR to my flight plan, and stadiums.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

This what I was envisioning, but they'd only be useful to the pilot that created those waypoints and that pilot is already familiar with the area, so I figured just looking outside would be sufficient.  I guess all the times I've needed non-charted waypoints was for personal sightseeing or for special event fly-ins, where I use those waypoints in the flight plan.

Thinking about this a little, I can see the benefit if putting a waypoint at a TFR, the closest point on the radius of a TFR to my flight plan, and stadiums.
I think this is a distinction between "useful to you" vs. "useful to others".  There are lots of features on lots of devices that I don't use, but other folks find indispensable.  

I can believe the proposed feature might be useful to others, even if I might not use it much or at all myself.

Edited by MysticCobra - 31 Jan 2019 at 10:43am
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 1:03pm
I can see having a waypoint at an interesting location to make it easy to find. For example, there’s a castle in the Texas Hill Country (Falkestein Castle) that is by itself on one of the hills. Once you get near, it is easy to see, but when you’re far away, it is useful to have a waypoint stored in order to find it more easily when you’re taking someone sightseeing. 

I might also be going someplace I’m not very familiar with and having some waypoints at points of interest there would be useful. 

FF just introduced a feature where you can install a set of location specific waypoints to various points of interest.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

I can see having a waypoint at an interesting location to make it easy to find. For example, there’s a castle in the Texas Hill Country (Falkestein Castle) that is by itself on one of the hills. Once you get near, it is easy to see, but when you’re far away, it is useful to have a waypoint stored in order to find it more easily when you’re taking someone sightseeing.
Wouldn't the current capability of the IFD be just fine for this?  When you're far away, wouldn't you just put the user waypoint into FPL and go direct?
Bob
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:07pm
You could, if you want to use the IFD-540 flight plans. 

Sometimes you're just flying around VFR and want to see the waypoints displayed even if they're not in a flight plan. There might even be a few waypoints a few miles from each other that don't really need a flight plan to visit, but would be nice to have displayed on a map.
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:14pm
One way I would like to use it is to be able to show a few key waypoints in the area I typically fly without having them in an active flight plan.
Jim Patton
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:04pm
The use I could see for this is arrival waypoints at my local airport.    Arrivals from adjacent controlled airspace have predictable entries given the active runways; not so much from adjacent uncontrolled airspace.   From the uncontrolled airspace, when you call in, it's a coin-toss on whether you'll get a downwind or base entry, or a base or straight-in.  It's a busy "train-the-world" airport in AZ, and there are recommended entry points for the arrival legs to those entries.   While those of us who fly here have identified visual references for them, I'd love to have the IFD point me at them, just in case I get confused when the tower is overloaded.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

I think this is a distinction between "useful to you" vs. "useful to others".  There are lots of features on lots of devices that I don't use, but other folks find indispensable.  

I can believe the proposed feature might be useful to others, even if I might not use it much or at all myself.

Not sure the distinction matters.  I'm not really seeing how it would be that useful to me yet so I'm asking questions trying to see how they'd use it.  It's not like I'm shooting it down saying if it's not useful to me it shouldn't be pursued, I don't see it being a negative for me in any way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic