Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Jeppesen Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Jeppesen Experience
    Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 2:25pm
My Jeppesen subscription was up for renewal a couple of weeks ago and I thought my experience might benefit others here.

The last time I renewed, I don't believe that Jepp plates were available on Foreflight, as they are now. Since I added charts to my 540 bundle solely to get them on the iPad/Foreflight, my last subscription (USA) was $1012.00 including obstacles and terrain. That included Jepp plates only for my home area, USA Northeast.

Foreflight now will add Jepp plates for the entire USA for $199.00, so a price comparison was in order. 

Long story short, I dropped obstacles and terrain from the 540 and put the Jepps on Foreflight. Total cost is now $491.00 annually for the Navdata and $199.00 annually for the full USA Jepps, a savings of roughly $300.00.  

I can do a one-time update of terrain or obstacles anytime for a relatively low cost.

As always, since it is Jepp, YMMV.

Rolfe
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 7:59am
Great post, thanks for sharing!

* Orest
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 9:06am
FYI, an IFD-440 bundle of NavData, Obstacles and Terrain is about $555/yr or so for the whole US. This data is the same as what you get with the IFD-540 subscription, they just don’t offer the bundle for the IFD. 

As you say, terrain rarely changes (I think the current data is from 2015). Terrain also takes forever to load on the IFD. Obstacles change more often. 

A Jepp rep also recommended I get the ForeFlight charts from ForeFlight, because then I could load them on the same number of devices you can use ForeFlight on (3 devices). If you get the mobile subscription from Jepp, you can only load the charts on one device. 

Edited by HenryM - 25 Jan 2019 at 9:06am
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 1:05pm
I've got a 440 on order and the update pricing was the one thing that almost kept me from buying it. Seems absurd to pay more for minimal updates on one device than I pay annually for full coverage insurance and my current Ipad app updates combined.
I did see where it was stated that the IFD Ipad app had to have the same database as the 440 to work properly. How do you get that database onto the Ipad and is it an additional cost?
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 1:18pm
There is no additional cost for the IFD-100 data. When you open the app, the first page asks for the username and password to your Jeppesen account. Enter those and click on Login. On the next screen, you will be able to download the necessary files.

Certified navdata is much more expensive than iPad data. Even Garmin charges more for it than for the Garmin Pilot app. Keeping a certified GPS up to date is indeed a significant yearly expense. For VFR work, you might be able to buy one-time updates from time to time. For IFR work, you really do have to have a subscription as data change often.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 1:18pm
For the IFD-100 you just enter your jepp login info and download.  There is no additional cost.
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:05pm
Thx for the info :)
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:19am
Data for these IFR boxes is pricy.  No doubt.  But, it's not unique to Avidyne for sure.  Any GPS has a cost for subscriptions to keep it current.  

Comparing it to foreflight is NOT a fair comparison.  
Comparing it to another IFR GPS/COM box IS. 

Like others, I have dropped charts from the 540s.  Which is a shame.  I'd like them on the panel (although smallish) and I'd like them on the IFD100, but when I have them on foreflight... It's hard to justify the cost.    

Jepp needs to change their pricing model.   But, that seems unlikely. 

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 05 Feb 2019 at 9:20am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:12am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

Like others, I have dropped charts from the 540s.  Which is a shame.  I'd like them on the panel (although smallish) and I'd like them on the IFD100, but when I have them on foreflight... It's hard to justify the cost.    

+1

I prefer Jepp, due to the consistent look-and-feel across the many countries here in Europe, and have the Jepp charts on ForeFlight. I've also dropped them from the IFDs though, because it doesn't make any sense to pay Jepp >$700 just for that when I already have the charts on FF.
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic