Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New IFD simulator app & 10.2.3.x firmware update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New IFD simulator app & 10.2.3.x firmware update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 2:16am
Hi, I only have 1 ipad. Is it possible to use the PC trainer and Ipad
networked, with the WIFI. If so would I set the PC trainer the same if I was using 2 ipads?

Also have a Stratus 2, anywayto set that up at home, to see how interactions might go.
Thanks for any insight.
Best,
David
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 8:51am
No, the PC trainer won't work with the IFD100. 

You can connect the iPad to the Stratus at home, but since there's nothing else on the network to talk to the IFD100, it would be pretty uninteresting.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 10:52am
Thanks Steve, Had a hunch that was the case.
Best,
David
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 11:53am
The Trainer does not work with IFD100 10.2.2.0.A .   The code versions do  not match.

Avidyne will have to release a trainer with SW version compatible with IFD 10.2.2.0.A.

In other words the system link got broken by the new IFD100 SW A version upgrade.

Ed
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 1:56am
Originally posted by edanford edanford wrote:

The Trainer does not work with IFD100 10.2.2.0.A .   The code versions do  not match.

Avidyne will have to release a trainer with SW version compatible with IFD 10.2.2.0.A.

In other words the system link got broken by the new IFD100 SW A version upgrade.

Steve Lindsley just posted on 4 March at 9:48 that "It should work, we run those two versions together all the time."

If you're right, though, that would explain why I can't get those versions of the Trainer and the IFD100 to work together.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

It should work, we run those two versions together all the time.  It's possible that it could be running out of memory on the iPad mini.  Make sure all other apps are closed on that device (especially given that you're running iOS 12).  There's also an off chance that it could be your local network firewall blocking UDP traffic.  

It would be helpful to know which UDP and TCP ports the IFD100 and simulator apps are using.  I have a DLink router and have the same problem as the others in not being able to connect the apps across two iPads.  Knowing the ports being used should allow me to create rules to permit the necessary communication.

It seems obvious to me that the issue is with the router given that all of the other possibilities have been thoroughly discussed and eliminated in the posts above.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 09 Mar 2019 at 3:11pm
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 12:49pm
I have confirmed that the DLink router is the reason I am unable to connect the IFD100 and trainer apps on two iPads.  The reason I know this is that a few posts above gave me the idea to use my Stratus 2s as the wireless router, and that actually works to connect the two apps (a good use for the Stratus 2s, btw, as I haven't been using it since purchasing the current plane that has a Lynx installed with dual-band ADS-B in and reliable WIFI).

A few things to be aware of:

1) The IFD100 and trainer apps do NOT need to be the same version (as confirmed by AviSteve above).  10.2.2.0.A on the IFD100 and 10.2.1.0 on the trainer work just fine together.

2) Even with the same Jeppesen databases downloaded on the two iPads (or not downloaded at all, I would assume), you can't start one of the apps by logging into Jeppesen and not do the same with the other.  BUT, you can just start both apps by not logging into Jeppesen and everything works fine.  This is helpful because then you don't have to keep switching from an internet connection back to the Stratus 2s.  Leave it on the Stratus 2s and bypass the Jeppesen login and it works just great.

3) Although both of my iPads are running the same iOS version (I'm still on 11.4.1 because of issues that keep popping up with the 12 generation), I suspect it doesn't matter at all if the iPads are running different iOS versions so long as they are sufficiently current to run the app versions properly.

4) I dislike intensely having to try to troubleshoot these kinds of issues, so I'm not going to bother trying to figure out why my DLink router won't let the two apps talk to each other.  I'll just keep using the Stratus 2s as the WIFI server when I want to run the two apps together.

5) Avidyne produces great boxes and knows how to support the avionics functions of those boxes extremely well.  However, when it comes to networking and WIFI issues, those clearly are not Avidyne's strong suit.  I've had more problems with IFD boxes trying to get WIFI to work properly (one box finally had to be replaced because of a COM issue and that also resolved the WIFI issues I was having with that box), and that continues to the present where my current IFD keeps disconnecting from the Lynx WIFI network that I use to communicate with my iPad Pro and Foreflight.  My experience is that Avidyne tech reps try their best to resolve these issues, but often with apparently incomplete information and insufficient technical background in network and WIFI issues, often suggesting causes and solutions that frankly don't make any sense in the networking/WIFI environment.

6) I'm liking this IFD100 functionality enough that I think I'll use the iPad mini running just the IFD100 app (as has been previously noted, trying to run the IFD100 app and Foreflight on the same iPad does NOT work well as bringing up one disconnects the other, so it is not a seamless solution).

7) BTW AviSteve, it would be very helpful if the IFD100 app could be configured to show more backup COM frequencies like the box does.  I like to have at least three, and sometimes four, COM frequencies showing so I can enter in and select those as I'm moving through busy airspace.  Presently, it does not appear the backup COM datablocks can be enabled on the IFD100 app.

EDIT:  And why can't the local time offset be changed on the IFD100 app either?

Edited by AZ Flyer - 10 Mar 2019 at 11:06am
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 9:41pm

Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

6)  I'm liking this IFD100 functionality enough that I think I'll use the iPad mini running just the IFD100 app (as has been previously noted, trying to run the IFD100 app and Foreflight on the same iPad does NOT work well as bringing up one disconnects the other, so it is not a seamless solution).
Release 10.2.3.1 has this update from Steve.
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Originally posted by ttvetdoc ttvetdoc wrote:

Is this update going to allow me to switch back and forth between Foreflight and the IFD100 app while connected to my Stratus as a Wifi hub?
Yes, the corresponding release of the IFD100 will fix that.  I haven't personally tested it with the Stratus, but that really shouldn't matter since the problem is only on the iPad.  I have tested it when connected directly to the IFD and you can switch back and forth.  There's a delay of a few seconds as the IFD100 re-establishes the connection.

Bob
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 4:26am
Thanks, I do remember seeing that.  It's still the few seconds delay that will drive me nuts because that's not how I'm accustomed to dealing with multiple applications, whether on a PC or an iPad. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic