Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

540 vs 440

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeAg03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 540 vs 440
    Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 4:25pm
Installing one of the two in a Skyview setup in our 182 once the STC is approved...
Plan to likely use two 10" screens for Skyview (one on each side)... will have a Skyview secondary COM radio (may use primary as it interfaces nicely with skyview).
IFD will be primary GPS source for IFR flights anyhow... question now is 440 vs 540 and the $2500 premium.  One thought I had that might be better than just a 540 is:
Panel mounted iPad for IFD100 App (dedicated) above a 440.

Thoughts?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 5:26pm
My overwhelming experience with IFD100 has been - Unreliable - especially with traffic display and issues with corrupting the 540 Route/Wpt files.

Other iPad Apps more stable, like FF and FlyQ, and even better is FlyQ ability to display ADSB directly from Skytrax100.

T Wolf
MikeAg03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeAg03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 7:09pm
So I think most of us plan to use our own iPads for FF... currently the SkyView traffic/wx will transfer to FF I believe, but will not transfer to the IFD... so won't be using the IFD for traffic/wx at all currently... mostly just a flight plan and guidance to the skyview (HSI/autopilot).
Maybe with the skyview system plus separate iPads mounted in the cockpit, there's no need for a duplicate IFD screen and the 440 will be more than sufficient and barely used.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:06pm
I transfer flight plans between ForeFlight and my IFD-540 in mY 182. Transfers work in both directions. If the IFD-100 app is running at the same time as ForeFlight, then I am only able to download flight plans into ForeFlight. Uploads into the IFD don’t work.

I am not familiar with the Skyview to know whether the GPS navigator is needed for anything other than providing a position. 
MikeAg03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeAg03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 9:26pm
SkyView HDX
https://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-hdx.php

So, it's a full PFD/MFD... can display charts, etc... it currently can't program/modify the flight plan on the IFD... but it can display it.  It also currently doesn't send engine data or ads-b info to the IFD... but I'm hoping that changes in near future with some software updates on one side or the other.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:34pm
Let me see if I understand. If you want to fly a flight plan, and use an autopilot, the GPS navigator has to have the flight plan loaded, correct? The autopilot follows whatever the IFD tells it. The SkyView just presents the information that the IFD is providing, but the brains for deciding when to turn, how to enter a hold or do a procedure turn, etc, come from the IFD? 

I only use my IFD and I am not familiar how other screens work in more complex systems.
MikeAg03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeAg03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 12:12am
Henry, correct in regards to an IFR flight plan.  The navigational source is the IFD.  The Skyview is set to fly the NAV source from the IFD (and display it on the HSI).
The Skyview does display synthetic vision/etc and also has the ability to show IFR maps, approach plates, taxi diagrams etc (all georeferenced as well).

So while on an IFR flight plan, if something to the flight plan changes or the approach changes, etc... that all has to be setup on the IFD (or sent to the IFD thru Foreflight).
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 8:35am
Thanks for explaining!

Do you then need two database subscriptions in order to show geo-referenced maps, approach plates, etc, on both systems?

I like the bigger screen of the IFD-540 over the IFD-440 for entering information and verifying that the flight plan entered is correct. If I had the panel space, I’d probably spend the extra money over the 440 (it is nice to spend other people’s money in this conversation). I believe there are a couple of features that cost extra on the 440 but are standard in the 540 (WiFi?) that might bring the cost difference down. it would also provide a good backup should the SkyView go blank for some reason. 
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Thanks for explaining!

Do you then need two database subscriptions in order to show geo-referenced maps, approach plates, etc, on both systems?

I like the bigger screen of the IFD-540 over the IFD-440 for entering information and verifying that the flight plan entered is correct. If I had the panel space, I’d probably spend the extra money over the 440 (it is nice to spend other people’s money in this conversation). I believe there are a couple of features that cost extra on the 440 but are standard in the 540 (WiFi?) that might bring the cost difference down. it would also provide a good backup should the SkyView go blank for some reason. 

I think you'll find that WIFI/Bluetooth are no longer standard on the 540, so you may want to check your pricing comparisons.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

I think you'll find that WIFI/Bluetooth are no longer standard on the 540, so you may want to check your pricing comparisons.

AFAIK WiFi/BT have always been standard on the 540/550. For a short time they became a software unlock on the 440, but Avidyne dropped that now, and it is included in the prior, lower, non-Wifi/BT price.

* Orest

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

AFAIK WiFi/BT have always been standard on the 540/550. For a short time they became a software unlock on the 440, but Avidyne dropped that now, and it is included in the prior, lower, non-Wifi/BT price.

* Orest

That appears to be the case now, but certainly was not the situation when I was shopping for a 540 this summer.  See https://sarasotaavionics.com/search/avidyne

Edited by AZ Flyer - 31 Dec 2018 at 3:41pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 4:56pm
When I got my IFD-540, WiFi, BT and FLTA were standard, and they sent me the BT keyboard for free when I registered the unit. This is 2015 vintage. 

It looks like the only difference between the 540 and 440 today is the size of the screen, and that the 440 doesn't support approach charts (which I don't use in the IFD and prefer on my iPad EFB - currently using ForeFlight). 
MikeAg03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeAg03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 7:22pm
I agree... we wouldn't use charts on the 540 if we went that route.  Hence why we may go 440... I was thinking the dedicated ipad might be nice to display a second IFD screen, but may not even be necessary... we all have ipads and can run the app independent of the panel mounted items... would just have to switch between foreflight and the ifd100
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 8:40pm
The IFD-100 and ForeFlight interfere with each other if both are active. ForeFlight is unable to upload flight plans to the IFD if the IFD-100 is running in the background. I don’t know if there are other hidden issues trying to run both. 

I kind of like the ForeFlight (Aeronav) charts better than the Jepp charts. This saves a significant amount in the data subscription. I get the NavData and Obstacles IFD-440 subscription for my IFD-540. The bundle is less expensive and includes terrain (terrain rarely changes) than the IFD-540 subscription. I get approach charts from ForeFlight. 

I much prefer the interaction with ForeFlight to move around the chart and pinch and zoom to look at the information I need. I find it awkward to be changing apps. I have a second iPad that I tried to dedicated to the IFD-100, but I find the IFD-540 and ForeFlight combination enough for my needs. Too much clutter with a second iPad.  

In any case, you can start with a 440 and an iPad and play with both ForeFlight and the IFD app to decide what you like best. However, if you have the panel space and the money, a 540 is very nice too. 

Edited by HenryM - 02 Jan 2019 at 8:44pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:25am

The IFD-100 and ForeFlight interfere with each other if both are active....
By the way, that exact issue is being worked as we speak.  We plan to have it fixed for the next release of IFD100 (corresponding to IFD release 10.2.3.1).
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 2:13pm
While you’re looking at FF, will you also work out what it takes to send ADS-B traffic and weather coming from the MLB-100 to FF? There’s been a bit of discussion before about which device is having a problem, given that the IFD transmits Capstone data and FF uses such data, yet not traffic or weather is displayed on FF. 
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
I'm not Steve but I know what he's going to say: the issue is with FF, Avidyne has contacted them and offered to help, and FF is slow-rolling the fix for whatever reason.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:00pm
And when I contact FF, it is something Avidyne isn't doing quite right (maybe with the ports they use to transmit data) ...

FF does work with Garmin, Appareo, L3 Lynx, and even roll your own Stratux receivers (whose software is open for anyone to see how they do it). I don't know why all these other transponders work, but Avidyne doesn't. So far neither side has been forthcoming on the actual details of what is not right, regardless of which side has to fix the problem.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

I'm not Steve but I know what he's going to say: the issue is with FF, Avidyne has contacted them and offered to help, and FF is slow-rolling the fix for whatever reason.
LOL, you know me so well :)

We send Capstone data over a TCP port and it's well documented how to use it, so I'm not really sure what their problem is.

However, we recently became aware of a UDP interface on which Foreflight is listening for ADS-B data. So, we're in the process of modifying the IFD software to send the data over that UDP interface.  It's not 100% working yet, but we're pretty confident that we can get it into 10.2.3.1.

Assuming we get that working, you should have the connectivity you're looking for without having to count on Foreflight to do anything.  Cross your fingers.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:46pm
Thank you very much, Steve! That is good news. 

I wonder what the other brands are doing. In any case, even if FF is at fault, I appreciate you guys working to do something about it.

Now, if you would just come out with a dual-band receiver that I can use to upgrade my MLB-100 ... :D 
A lot more traffic shows up on FF when I use a dual-band Stratux receiver than the MLB-100 receiver shows on the IFD-540, though sometimes the MLB-100 will show a plane not seen by the Stratux. That is a topic for another thread, though. 
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 1:37pm
From what I remember most other WiFi solutions that support Capstone deliver it via UDP. 

Avi, make sure your UDP socket is assigned to a valid IP, not something like 169.254.x.x. Apple’s network code hates that subnet. 

Neil

Edited by TogaDriver - 06 Jan 2019 at 1:45pm
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

LOL, you know me so well :)

We send Capstone data over a TCP port and it's well documented how to use it, so I'm not really sure what their problem is.

However, we recently became aware of a UDP interface on which Foreflight is listening for ADS-B data. So, we're in the process of modifying the IFD software to send the data over that UDP interface.  It's not 100% working yet, but we're pretty confident that we can get it into 10.2.3.1.

Assuming we get that working, you should have the connectivity you're looking for without having to count on Foreflight to do anything.  Cross your fingers.

Steve, as I told Larry Anglisano at Aviation Consumer: whoever gets this fixed has earned a bottle of the finest local bourbon from my friend's distillery. I'll leave it to you whether you split it with the engineer whose name is on the commit for this fix or keep it for yourself :)
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 12:53am

Thank you very much, Steve! That is good news. 

I wonder what the other brands are doing. In any case, even if FF is at fault, I appreciate you guys working to do something about it.

Now, if you would just come out with a dual-band receiver that I can use to upgrade my MLB-100 ... :D 
A lot more traffic shows up on FF when I use a dual-band Stratux receiver than the MLB-100 receiver shows on the IFD-540, though sometimes the MLB-100 will show a plane not seen by the Stratux. That is a topic for another thread, though. 

THIS... SOOO MUCH THIS!!!  I absolutely hate that my skytrax is only receiving 978 in. It means I absolutely have to rely on the ADS-B rebroadcast for all my traffic information, because most everyone is running 1090es for ADS-B out now-a-days.   I know FreeFlight has a dual-banded ADS-B receiver, it would be nice to do some sort of replacement for the skytrax.  
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:31am
I saw a mention of a dual-band Freeflight in one of their brochures, but I have not seen it for sale anywhere. It is not mentioned on their web site other than in one brochure. I wrote to Freeflight, but they did not respond to my query. If the dual-band Freeflight is actually available and supported by the IFD, I would consider upgrading my MLB-100.
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:43am
Yeah, I think it was a model number FDL-978-RXD

There was a thread about it here: http://forums.avidyne.com/freeflight-ranger-fdl978rxd-dualband-supported_topic1550.html

I still haven't heard anything about this rumored dual band upgrade option for us Skytrax 100 users.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 3:52pm
I tossed the brochure so I don't have the price anymore, but I looked into this at the Sante Fe AOPA fly-in.  The price was through the roof and only worth a laugh.  There is no way they are expecting this to be a viable product and that is why you don't see more info on it.

Edited by brou0040 - 08 Jan 2019 at 3:53pm
MikeAg03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeAg03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:37pm
Any updates on getting the IFD to be able to read the ADS-B data from the Dynon SkyView system?

Might as well ask here as my original topic went sideways...  I've been playing with IFD Simulator (440 and 540) and IFD 100 app combinations...  I'm now torn on if I'd want the 440 + iPad (for IFD100 only panel mounted) vs just spending the $ and getting the 540...  It's also hard to say how much I'd use it with having the skyview system and everything it can do/show directly in front of me...
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:05am
Given that all the panels on the Dynon Skyview website show Avidyne nav/coms rather than more usual Garmin, it would be reasonable to expect that they are working to integrate well together. Also, BTW, I noticed in recent MzeroA videos that they have a Dynon Skyview and Avidyne panel in one of their C172s, N23MZ.
Vince
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 10:28am
If you have room for it in your panel go with the IFD540. You won’t regret it. The IFD100, to me, is currently more a gee wiz novelty item than a reliable avionics interface.
Ron L
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 1:12pm
I find the IFD 100 to be very reliable and use it all the time for making flight plan changes or frequency changes on my bottom IFD that it’s talks to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic