Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OBS mode and DFC90

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-EACY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OBS mode and DFC90
    Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 3:15pm
I swapped the 2 GNS430Ws in my SR22 for the IFD440s and I am still in the learning phase.
Airplane is a 2006 SR22 with DFC90 and certified for LPV approaches (necessary in Germany).

Yesterday I tried a procedure that was a standard for me with the 430Ws but my first attempt with the IFD440s was not as satisfying.

I tried to intercept the extended centerline of my airport with the OBS mode. For this I maded a DIRECT to the airport and then pressed the upper right knob to get the unit into OBS mode. When OBS showed I used the course selector of the Avidyne Entegra PFD (left knob) to enter the course, in this case 245 degrees for runway 25.

The 245 degree course line was displayed fine on both the IFD and the PFD and MFD.

Since I was northeast of the airport I selected HDG+NAV on the DFC night and used an intercept heading of 230 to intercept the course.

The airplane DID turn on course when I approached the magenta line but it flew through the line a bit and then it and flew parallel to the magenta line, maybe with an offset of 1/3 of a mile or less. SO it did turn into the general direction but the airplane was never ON the magenta line. When I got too close to the field I disconnected the A/P and landed by hand.

Why did this happen? I first thought that maybe an "offset" was selected in the navigator, but today I read in the manual that there is no offset option in OBS mode.

I also did an LPV approach the other day - without any problems, airplane was on the track line all the time, just like with the 430W.

I also realized that both IFD440s get very hot. I do understand the concept of the metal heat sink - but i realized that also the three main buttons (FMS, MAP, AUX) get very hot.

Edited by D-EACY - 29 Dec 2018 at 3:16pm
2006 SR22-G2 DFC90 IFD440
D-EACY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-EACY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 4:39am
Nobody knows anything about this behaviour?
2006 SR22-G2 DFC90 IFD440
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic