Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do the IFD440 and IFD540 have Dual Database Cycle?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do the IFD440 and IFD540 have Dual Database Cycle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do the IFD440 and IFD540 have Dual Database Cycle?
    Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 1:50pm
Here I am with my new IFD440 with the first time going for a flight with the upcoming Navadata cycle available for download but not yet current. Do the Avidyne IFD4/5 have dual database capability, i.e. you can upload the next cycle which is not yet active and it switches on the effective date automatically? Jeppensen says "most FMS units are dual cycle and carry both a current and future data set".

That would be handy but I don't see anything explicitly addressing this in the operations manual, all it says is that you can use an upcoming database at your own risk. So I'm expecting a one word response to this post: "NO"!

Mitch
Mooney M20J Aspen EFD1000 Pro IFD440
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 2:29pm
No, it only supports one database cycle. 

That said, you don't have to "pull an SD card", and download the new cycle, potentially at a non-home airport. I just download to my USB key (which I keep in my flightbag) whenever it needs it from the comfort of my family room chair, and when called for I can update the IFD when I'm in the aircraft.

The Apollo CNX-80 did keep dual databases, and would flip over automatically. Doing something similar in the IFD was looked at, but apparently it was not practical given the amount code that would need to be changed.

* Orest
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 5:42pm
This is my first post - been lurking for a year...using an IFD440 - really wish it had this feature.  Was looking forward to something like that.  Maybe in the future...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic