Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Losing WIFI Connection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing WIFI Connection
    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:26am
I have an IFD540, Lynx NGT-9000 and Aspen setup in a TR182.  Because the traffic and weather come from the Lynx, I use it as the WIFI server to my iPad Pro.  The Lynx and IFD540 are not yet connected.

The Lynx WIFI is rock solid.  However, the IFD540 WIFI (connected as remote to the Lynx) keeps dropping out partway into the flight.  While it is working, flight plan transfers to and from the IFD540 and Foreflight are flawless.

Does anyone know why this may be happening?  Is it a function of a weak IFD WIFI or are there other factors at play?  Would turning off bluetooth on the iPad possibly help? Whatever affects the WIFI signal from the IFD is clearly not a factor for the Lynx.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 22 Nov 2018 at 1:03pm
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 7:57pm
I have the same setup.  I believe the problem is with the Lynx wifi module. Failure of the module is common I'm told, and replacing it is not cheap.  I just had my IFD wired up with the Lynx for ADS-B weather, and will be switching to using the IFD's built-in wifi to communicate with my iPad after my annual is completed.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

I have the same setup.  I believe the problem is with the Lynx wifi module. Failure of the module is common I'm told, and replacing it is not cheap.  I just had my IFD wired up with the Lynx for ADS-B weather, and will be switching to using the IFD's built-in wifi to communicate with my iPad after my annual is completed.

Good to know, thanks.  Am I correct in understanding that once traffic and weather is received on the IFD from the Lynx via hardwire connection, they can then be transmitted to the iPad via the IFD WIFI?

Edited by AZ Flyer - 23 Nov 2018 at 11:15am
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:15pm
I'll let you know when I get my plane back.  But that's what I understand should happen, and I don't see why it would not.
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:22pm
I had this same problem until updated to 10.2.2.0

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by doog doog wrote:

I had this same problem until updated to 10.2.2.0

The IFD540 in my plane is new so it came with 10.2.2 installed.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 25 Nov 2018 at 9:09am
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:18pm
Just found this thread so apparently I am not alone with this issue, although 10.2.2 seems to have been designed to resolve the matter.  Unfortunately, I'm still having the problem even with 10.2.2 installed.

afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:01pm
I am reaching out for the collective wisdom in hunting down this issue with my Wi-Fi setup between devices.  This has been an ongoing issue since install and delivery in March 2018.  I recently had several items updated and repaired hoping that my Wi-Fi issue would get fixed in the process.  Here is my saga:

The Equipment and Setup
My 1976 Beech A36 had the following installation in March 2018:
  • Avidyne IFD-540, software version 10.2.2.0A, FMS Navigator
  • Lynx NGT-9000+ ES transponder and ADSB-In and Out
  • PSE PMA450A audio panel
  • Aspen Evolution 1500 (PFD1000 Pro & MFD500) with SV, AOA, and ADSB-In unlocks on both screens
  • I retained a Garmin GNS430 (non-WAAS) as my #2 GPS/VLOC/Com
  • Century III Autopilot, original Edo-Aire attitude indicator, w/ electric trim and glideslope coupler

I use Foreflight (version 11.1)  on iPad Air (IOS 12.1.4, the latest) and IFD-100 (version 10.2.1) on 2nd iPad mini 2 (IOS 12.1.4, the latest).

The plan was/is to configure the Lynx as the Wi-Fi access point for all devices and the IFD-540 as a "remote Wi-Fi" to the Lynx Wi-Fi.  This would allow the Foreflight iPad to see both the Lynx and the IFD-540 at the same time.

The Issue
The Lynx as the Wi-Fi Access Point, the IFD-540 as Wi-Fi Remote, and the Foreflight iPad and the IFD-100 iPad work as advertised initially and for about 10-20 minutes into a flight.  After that time the following happens:
  1. IFD-540 "green" Wi-Fi indicator is still present
  2. The iPad mini w/ IFD-100 loses connection to the IFD.  Evidenced by the IFD-100 Com/Nav frequency boxes switching to "X" and an AUX status message.
  3. The iPad Air w/ Foreflight loses connection to the IFD.  Evidenced by a Foreflight message and the fact that when the setup popup is viewed, where it formerly showed Connected Lynx and Connected IFD, it only shows the Lynx now.
  4. On subsequent attempts, if either iPads Wi-Fi connection to the Lynx is turned off and then back on, the iPad will not rejoin the Lynx Wi-Fi.  If the iPad to Lynx Wi-Fi is not interrupted, then ADSB-In (TIS & FIS) will continue to be received to Foreflight.
Troubleshooting so far
  1. Reconfigured the IFD-540 Wi-Fi configuration from "remote Wi-Fi" to "local Wi-Fi" with a SSID that is different from the Lynx (change the last digit of the SSID).  Either iPad can join the IFD's Wi-Fi and connect Foreflight and IFD-100 successfully and uninterrupted for a 3+ hour flight.  The Lynx Wi-Fi also continues to work, when the IFD is on a separate SSID, and Foreflight can connect to the Lynx Wi-Fi and receive ADSB-In data.  I have not tried interrupting the Lynx Wi-Fi, in this configuration, and see if it could be rejoined.
  2. Checked connections for Lynx cabling and found good.
  3. Checked connections for IFD-540 cabling and found good.
  4. The Lynx NGT-9000+ was updated to the latest software version 3.2, dated January 8, 2019.  No change in the previously mentioned operational Wi-Fi failure with the IFD as a "remote Wi-Fi".
  5. The IFD-540 was returned to the factory for another issue and the following service and maintenance performed:
    Replaced Cf & Sd cards.  Replace Upper Left Encoder.  Replaced LH Encoder.  New WiFi Cable.  Tested per Atp, Passed.
    No change in the previously mentioned operational Wi-Fi failure with the IFD as a "remote Wi-Fi".
Based upon the IFD-540 Wi-Fi appearing to be stable when it is configured as "local Wi-Fi" and the issue with rejoining the Lynx Wi-Fi, I would guess that the issue is something to do with the Lynx Wi-Fi.  A telephone conversation with a Lynx Support person yielded the following, (paraphrased) "The Lynx Wi-Fi was not intended to be an Access Point for multiple devices and network traffic, so don't do that."  I am betting that based upon the way that many of us are configuring and using our Lynx Wi-Fi, with the IFD as a "remote Wi-Fi", that my support answer is full of bull.

Not done so far, replace the Lynx Wi-Fi unit.  I should still be under manufacturer's warranty on the Lynx.

Comments and suggestions please.

Edited by afassas - 21 Mar 2019 at 7:50pm
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 9:23pm
Unfortunately, I don't think the Lynx support person was full of bull.  I, likewise, have a Lynx, Aspen (1000 Pro) and IFD540 setup (the audio panel is a PSE 8000B and the second radio is a GNS 430W).  And, I also have attempted to use the Lynx as the WIFI server for the IFD with Foreflight operating on a 10.5" iPad Pro.  So far, I haven't used the IFD100 app because it doesn't play well with Foreflight on the same iPad.

As you noted, the IFD and the Lynx both show up on Foreflight until about 10-20 minutes into a flight when the IFD disconnects, leaving only the Lynx still connected and still displaying traffic, weather and GPS position on Foreflight.  I've never had trouble with the Lynx disconnecting.  Because traffic, weather and moving map (along with approach charts) are the primary reasons I'm using Foreflight, this isn't an untenable situation, although at that point I lose the ability to exchange flight plans between Foreflight and the IFD, which can be handy.

When I broached this subject with Avidyne tech support, I was also told that the Lynx may not be able to act as a WIFI hub.  I thought this to be a flimsy response given that the connection was clearly being made and supported for some time before disconnecting.  However, given the response you received from the Lynx support rep, it sounds like the explanation, at least, is consistent.  Why this should be the case is a mystery to me, and it seems this shortcoming should be fully disclosed when the two products are being actively marketed and promoted together.

I'm going to be trying out a separate iPad Mini to run the IFD100 app with a direct connection to the IFD540 and continue to run Foreflight on the iPad Pro connected to the Lynx.  I suspect, as you have discovered, that this setup will work flawlessly.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 21 Mar 2019 at 9:24pm
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 9:35pm
AZ Flyer, your experience and mine seem to be anomalous, as I have seen reports by other Avidyne  & Lynx owners who have successfully gotten the Lynx as the Wi-Fi Access Point to work.

Then the reports of folks using their Stratus ? devices as the Wi-Fi Access Point and the IFD-540 as the "Remote Wi-Fi".  These all seem to work.  An ~$800 portable device being more reliable for Wi-Fi than the L-3 installed device.

Lest someone think I don't like my Lynx; I would hurt you if you tried to take it away from me.  It is a great addition to my aircraft and flying.

I truly feel that we have crossed into a no-man's land, where Avionics shops, A&P's, and IA's have not enough information or tools to help diagnose these kinds of issues.  Each of us gets a different answer when asking the manufacturer for support. 

Other folks with the Lynx NGT-9000 and trying to use it as the Wi-Fi Access Point for your Avidyne IFD unit as the Remote, please chime in.  Let AZ Flyer and myself know if we are alone in this dilemma.
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 4:47pm
I've been using ForeFlight for years.  Had my Lynx 9000+ and IFD440 installed several years ago.  My experience is that the Lynx wifi module is unreliable.

For the first six months or so, the Lynx wifi (battery operated initial version) worked well.  Foreflight displayed Lynx traffic and weather all the time.  Then the module failed under warranty, and a new wifi module connected to ship's power was its replacement.  That worked well for over a year, perhaps two.  Then the Lynx wifi signal became weak, and eventually both ForeFlight and the IFD440 lost connection to it.  During most flights, it comes and goes.

A few months ago during my annual, I thought it a good time to replace the Lynx wifi module.  But the quote was ridiculous, so I did not do so.

After the appropriate software upgrade to my IFD440, I had it hard-wired to the Lynx, so the IFD no longer depends upon the flakey Lynx wifi to receive traffic and weather.  Unfortunately, ForeFlight and the IFD440 do not yet work over the IFD440's own wifi connection, except to swap flight plans.  I understand the next software update for the IFD coming out sometime soon will make ForeFlight and the IFD440 compatible, such that the weather and traffic the IFD gets from the Lynx can be sent via wifi to ForeFlight.

I hope that works.  If it does, I see no reason to replace the Lynx wifi module with one that functions.  A reliable ForeFlight/IFD wifi connection that sends traffic and weather to ForeFlight, and flight plans to the IFD, is the best setup IMHO.

If the ForeFlight-IFD wifi connnection still does not work after the IFD software upgrade, I may re-think spending the bucks to get a new Lynx wifi module, to see if the new ones are any better, and to see if a new module restores the functionality I had when my current one was new.  And as long as the warranty lasts, I'll be on it like stink, objecting at the slightest indication of failure to make sure I'm not getting lemons.

Edited by Catani - 25 Mar 2019 at 4:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic