Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hot IFD550/440

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skysynergy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot IFD550/440
    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:06am
Hi guys,

I have a feeling this may be a common topic ... I just replaced my GNS530/430 stack with the IFD550/440. My GNSs were hot when running but it definitely seems the IFDs are hotter.

Is this anything for me to be concerned about?

I do have a stack fan. 

Thanks,
Rich
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:56am
Do you have a Socata? That panel tends to block the forward ventilation openings, and can reduce ventilation efficiency.

The IFDs will warn you if the temps are too high, you can have a look see as to what the temps are running, in the log. 

IFDs running hot, is not a very common report here. Mine are cool to the touch.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Sep 2018 at 8:57am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

IFDs running hot, is not a very common report here. Mine are cool to the touch.
Um, I thought it's not a common report because it's been discussed before and the consensus was "they run hot, but they're designed to".

Mine is definitely hot to the touch, at least around the bezel.  There have been times I've inadvertently brushed against the bezel and involuntarily flinched from the sudden heat on my skin.

Edited by MysticCobra - 22 Sep 2018 at 11:08am
skysynergy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skysynergy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 12:39pm
Hi,

My installation is in a Bonanza. It is definitely hot.  I haven’t had any overtemp warnings but jeeze ... I think I’ll need to build calluses or use the Bluetooth keyboard more. 

So, the consensus is they do run hot and it is normal (expected)?

Thanks guys!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 6:45pm
Maybe it's because I'm in chilly Canada. ;)

* Orest
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:21pm
The bezel does run quite hot, and I understand intentionally so (as a heat sink).  I can say that I've never had an overtemp issue, and my IFD540 kept going strong when both iPads in the cockpit stopped working because of heat.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:55am
Originally posted by skysynergy skysynergy wrote:

My installation is in a Bonanza. It is definitely hot.  I haven’t had any overtemp warnings but jeeze ... I think I’ll need to build calluses or use the Bluetooth keyboard more.

The bezel is a deliberate heat sink for the unit, but the buttons themselves should not be so hot as to be problematic.

You can reduce the thermal load significantly by reducing the display brightness from "10" to 9 or 8.

skysynergy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skysynergy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 8:44pm
Thanks! I did just that it they seems significantly cooler today.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic