Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD flight check

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD flight check
    Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 4:15pm
Having just got a copy of the install manual, I see on  page 140  (IFD550) it states a flight check must be performed. When I picked up the aircraft I asked the shop about this (before I saw the install manual) and then indicated I was good to go.

The pilots manual does state the pilot should become familiar with the unit in VFR conditions, but does not go into any detail like the install manual would.

Since a owner normally wouldn't see the install manual, is this something I should be concerned about? I asked the shop to go up with me when I picked it up but they said their insurance wouldn't cover that.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 4:45pm
You will want to make sure all of the features are functioning properly AND you are thoroughly proficient with its operation before you fly in IFR conditions.  You can accomplish this any number of different ways.  For reference, before these were certified, I created a test card with all of the things I wanted to ensure were working properly.  It took me 10 hours (this was before a pilot guide existed).

Chapter 8 of the installation manual has the Flight Check items listed out.  You can download the manual from the Avidyne website or the Shop should be able to provide it to you.
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 4:50pm
Thanks and I totally understand that. In fact, it was me checking this out, and finding squawks that caused me to dig.

I was not able to find the install manual on Avidynes website, hence I asked the shop. It was just by chance I ran across this section, which obviously the shop didn't do.

Which was my question. Since this was in the install manual, shouldn't the installer (the shop) have verified things? 

Do you have a web link to the install manual?  I've like to get them all as I had other avidyne gear installed. 

Thank you
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 5:21pm
The install manuals for the entire avi stack are here:

https://avidyne.com/support/doctype.asp?doctype=installation+manual&list=doc
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 5:37pm
Just one manual there, the self exchange guide, which is 5 chapters long.  There is no install manual. This assumes you are swapping out for a Garmin. Mine was a new install. 

Chapter 8 in the install manual, goes into much more detail then the above with regards to flight checks.

But my question remains, was the shop supposed to do the Flight Check in chapter 8? 
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

The install manuals for the entire avi stack are here:

https://avidyne.com/support/doctype.asp?doctype=installation+manual&list=doc

That's not the install manual. 

For some reason the install manuals which used to be available to everyone, now are just made available to dealers.  They were removed from the Avidyne website some time ago. 
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 9:00pm
pm me your email address and I’ll send you the version I have.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 1:23pm
It is certainly odd that post-installation test instructions are in the installation manual yet the pilot/owner (who doesn't have direct on-line access to the IM) needs to perform those tests.

Avidyne needs to get consistent on this one. Requiring the installer to provide the IM to the owner is just a way to pad the installer's invoice, and if the installer refuses then what is the owner supposed to do? catch-22.
Vince
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:14pm
find an installer that is willing to do the job right?
8. Flight Checks
The IFD5XX/4XX must be flight tested to verify the installation is operating properly. The following items should be tested in flight to verify the IFD5XX/4XX function.
GPS verification
VOR tuning
ILS information recieved
Autopilot checks
External sensor function (traffic, lightining, weather, etc.)

Edited by Cruiser - 30 Aug 2018 at 6:18pm
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by wb8wka wb8wka wrote:

Just one manual there, the self exchange guide, which is 5 chapters long.  There is no install manual. This assumes you are swapping out for a Garmin. Mine was a new install. 

Chapter 8 in the install manual, goes into much more detail then the above with regards to flight checks.

But my question remains, was the shop supposed to do the Flight Check in chapter 8? 

That is why the checks are in the install manual. The installer is expected to do them. These checks are for proper operation and function not familiarization of the operator. 

Install manuals are not typically available. Try getting one from Garmin. 
While there is a lot of information in them, most (if not all) require an certified avionics mechanic to make the changes, not something typically you want floating around for people to get in trouble with.
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:26pm
can you recommend one?  Ohio is not far from me.  
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by wb8wka wb8wka wrote:

can you recommend one?  Ohio is not far from me.  

AeroPro Avionics in Elyria, Ohio. Dale Berger 440.346.3557

tell him I (TomK from Port Clinton, Ohio KPCW) recommended him.

gkow@cros.net if you would like to go off line.

Edited by Cruiser - 30 Aug 2018 at 6:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic