Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skytrax Compatabilities?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skytrax Compatabilities?
    Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 10:35am
Another technical question.
I have an MLB-100/Skytrax-100.
I know this product is orphaned and a follow on product is being discussed.
That said, it still makes sense to get maximum utility from what is already in the panel.
I had inquired about a year ago about compatabilities between this box and Aspen displays.  At that time, I was told that Avi was going to lend a box to Aspen and work with them to see if it could be made to work.  I am guessing this never happened?
Does the MLB-100 report out a Capstone (?GDL90) format?
Is it worth expending any effort on this?

Thanks.
David Gates
shufflehuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shufflehuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 7:41pm
I currently have the MLB100 and interfacing it with the Aspen units. There are some limiting factors though. Weather will not display on the Aspen units. Traffic does display, but it is not the ADSB symbology. It is only the older style TAS symbology. The aircraft symbols are diamonds, but I do get a + or - altitude reading relative to my altitude. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 9:10am
I'm not sure about having lent a box to Aspen.  I do know that the MLB/SkyTrax-100 outputs Capstone.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 9:34am
At what baud rate?  GDL90 protocol IIRC requires high speed (112K?)
David Gates
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:37am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

At what baud rate?  GDL90 protocol IIRC requires high speed (112K?)
Baud rate is configurable by the installer.  There's a PC based tool that talks to the unit in order to set the configuration.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:50am
OK, can the IFD now support a high baud rate?  I think it was a part of 10.2.1?
David Gates
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

OK, can the IFD now support a high baud rate?  I think it was a part of 10.2.1?
Yes
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 1:57am
Originally posted by shufflehuff shufflehuff wrote:

I currently have the MLB100 and interfacing it with the Aspen units. There are some limiting factors though. Weather will not display on the Aspen units. Traffic does display, but it is not the ADSB symbology. It is only the older style TAS symbology. The aircraft symbols are diamonds, but I do get a + or - altitude reading relative to my altitude. 

That's what I was told too.  I see the TAS symbology on the lower half display on my Aspen but I see the airplane silhouette on the top half when traffic is being displayed.  It gets bigger when it gets closer.  I don't know if it matters but I have 10.2.1 and synthetic vision displayed on the top half of the Aspen.
Woo Hoo!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic