Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TAS600 Systems and ADS-B
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TAS-A display question (for Avidyne)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 6:11pm
OK - what is the ideal configuration for someone with IFDs and a glass PFD/MFD?  TAS-A should be good - my understanding this will give us active interrogation on 1090 MHz, ADS-B out on 1090 from adjacent aircraft - but also TIS-R on 1090 if I am in a service area.  Is this right?

That seems pretty comprehensive but not all encompassing.

Where does an ADS-B receive box fit into this?  Is the MLB100 enough, or do I NEED dual frequency?  What about audio call outs? What about display on PFD/MFD (in my case, Aspens)?
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 3:20pm
Thank you Catani for reply.

Agree, the L3 NGT9000+ is a great solution, playing with both Avidyne and Aspens, despite large antenna on top.

Unfortunately for me, I already have TAS605 which would be wasted (especially since not worth much on the used market).  Curious why you say Lynx is better than the GTX345 other than the separate display on transponder.

Does anybody know what determines which info is sent out on the Avidyne x40 WiFi to iPad Apps... wondering if the 540 WiFi would send both:
  . TAS-A composite Traffic (1090 In and TAS In)
  . and Skytrax100/MLB Wx

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 04 Aug 2018 at 3:21pm
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Orest - Thanks for reply... 
So then sounds like there is no way for Avidyne users to have Dual ADSB IN ...

Unfortunately, better solution (for now, despite TAS-A) is GTX345 (instead of AXP340) combining straight TAS + its built in Dual ADSB into composite signal out to IFDx40's and Aspens (with unlock)

I've had an L3 Lynx 9000+ and IFD440 installed for years now.  The 9000+ model provides Dual ASB-In, merged with Skywatch TAS traffic, to my EX5000 MFD and my IFD440, as well as on its own screen. And the Lynx has wifi that sends merged traffic and ADS-B weather to ForeFlight on my iPad.  Garmin's 345 doesn't compare IMHO.  Plus, Avidyne and L3 are working together now, so the L3/Avidyne purchases I made back when are cheaper to acquire now.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:39am
Orest - Thanks for reply... 
So then sounds like there is no way for Avidyne users to have Dual ADSB IN ...

Unfortunately, better solution (for now, despite TAS-A) is GTX345 (instead of AXP340) combining straight TAS + its built in Dual ADSB into composite signal out to IFDx40's and Aspens (with unlock)

Tom

Edited by n7ifr - 04 Aug 2018 at 11:11am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

With the soon to be available TAS-A for our IFDx40 display, it occurs to me this long awaited "Upgrade" also Orphans our MLB100/Skytrax100 (980 Hz ADSB).

Yes, you can only have one traffic input to a display device. The Skytrax or Freeflight or other units would supply FIS-A weather only.

As I understand it, there is no way to combine two separate traffic inputs (TIS, TIS-A 1090 or 978 or TAS), external to the TAS unit.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Aug 2018 at 10:37am
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 9:58am
With the soon to be available TAS-A for our IFDx40 display, it occurs to me this long awaited "Upgrade" also Orphans our MLB100/Skytrax100 (980 Hz ADSB).

Is there is a way to incorporate the MLB/Skytrax100 980 ADSB IN giving us Dual IN receive with the new and improved TAS-A (1090 ADSB)?

What to do with our MLB/Skytrax units other than receive Wx?

Tom Wolf
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Probably next week, but give it an extra week just to be safe. 

Thanks Steve!

* Orest

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Great information, thanks, I've forwarded it all to my shop.

I have a certificate for the free upgrade of my TAS605. I assume my shop will need to make the arrangements directly, any idea when the exchange program will start up?

* Orest

Probably next week, but give it an extra week just to be safe.  There will be a press release and a list of answers to FAQs.  My sources say it's not an exchange program, though.  You'll send the unit in and we'll upgrade it.  Look for those details in the press release.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:16am
Great information, thanks, I've forwarded it all to my shop.

I have a certificate for the free upgrade of my TAS605. I assume my shop will need to make the arrangements directly, any idea when the exchange program will start up?

* Orest

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 9:57am
How is the functionality enabled and configured? Is it through a Laptop and USB connection? Or is it through a USB stick with additional code? I already have a -A which plugged directly in place of my standard TAS unit.
Configuration is accomplished with a computer connected to one of the TAS-A RS-232 interfaces.  A USB to RS-232 conversion cable may be required for the computer.

Does this mean that in TAS installations, the wire harness connects to one connector and in a TAS/A installation the wire harness is moved and connected to a different connector with additional inputs for the connection to the WAAS unit?
The TAS-A has 25-pin and 15-pin DSub connectors that are directly compatible with the same connectors on the TAS unit.  When replacing a TAS with a TAS-A it is most convenient to use these “legacy” connectors to simplify installation.  Most installations of the TAS units did not use the 9-pin connector; however, if the 9-pin connector is in use it will have to be moved to an unused interface on another connector.

The TAS-A also has 78-pin and 32-pin high-density D connectors.  The 78-pin connector duplicates all of the interfaces found on the 25-pin and 15-pin connectors, and adds some more.  The 32-pin connector provides even more interfaces, but at present they are unused.  In a new installation of the TAS-A we recommend using the 78-pin connector instead of the 25-pin and 15-pin since it requires only one connector and has more interfaces than the combination of the other two.  There is nothing preventing a new installation from using the 25-pin and 15-pin connector; however, the same interface cannot be used on both the 78-pin connector and either the 25 or 15 pin connector.

Since the ADS-B functionality of TAS-A requires a position input this will have to be added.  The TAS-A will accept position on any ARINC-429 input or RS-232 interface.  It is possible when replacing a TAS with a TAS-A (or in an installation that uses the 25-pin and 15-pin connectors of the TAS-A) that there are no more interfaces available on the 25-pin connector.  If this happens there are two options:
  1. Continue using the 25-pin and 15-pin connectors as before and add a connection for position to an unused interface on the 78-pin connector.
  2. Move all of the connections from the 25-pin connector (and 15-pin connector if desired) to the 78-pin connector and connect position to an unused interface.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 2:58pm
How is the functionality enabled and configured? Is it through a Laptop and USB connection? Or is it through a USB stick with additional code? I already have a -A which plugged directly in place of my standard TAS unit.

Does this mean that in TAS installations, the wire harness connects to one connector and in a TAS/A installation the wire harness is moved and connected to a different connector with additional inputs for the connection to the WAAS unit?

Edited by Gring - 01 Aug 2018 at 3:25pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 12:16pm
Very helpful, thanks.
David Gates
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 11:23am
1.  Compared to the non-A box, there is a DSub change and one wire run (to IFD for position source) - right?  Or is there more?
The TAS-A has two sets of connectors; one for compatibility with non-A installations and another with more interfaces that can be used in new installations.  In most installations there will not be a connector change when upgrading to TAS-A (the only difference is that the non-A connector COM1 is not available on TAS–A units).  A connection for the position source will need to be added in order to support ADS-B In.  If you are upgrading from a non-A box and there is a spare RS-232 or ARINC-429 connection available for a position input on the 25-pin DSub, then the position source connection can be added to the existing connector.

2.  If the non-A TAS is now displaying on the IFDs, are there any changes in configuration or wiring to make there?  RS-232
No.  The TAS-A should support all of the existing non-A interfaces without the need to modify wiring or configuration.

3.  If the non-A TAS is now displaying on Aspen boxes via ARINC, are there any changes to make there?
No.  The TAS-A should support all of the existing non-A interfaces without the need to modify wiring or configuration.

4.  If one also has a Skytrax-100, then for the IFDs it makes sense to only use the weather input, right?
Yes, that is the preferred arrangement.

5.  Are there any other considerations I should bring to the attention of my avionics shop?
When upgrading to TAS-A (or upgrading an existing TAS-A to add ADS-B support) there is a need to configure the TAS-A unit.  By default the ADS-B functionality is disabled so that upgrades can be done without making wiring changes.  Once a position source has been connected, then ADS-B will need to be enabled and the ownship ICAO address will need to be programmed into the TAS-A in order for the ADS-B In function to operate properly.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 10:25am
Hooray, -A is finished (or at least first -A software revision).

Questions:
1.  Compared to the non-A box, there is a DSub change and one wire run (to IFD for position source) - right?  Or is there more?
2.  If the non-A TAS is now displaying on the IFDs, are there any changes in configuration or wiring to make there?  RS-232
3.  If the non-A TAS is now displaying on Aspen boxes via ARINC, are there any changes to make there?
4.  If one also has a Skytrax-100, then for the IFDs it makes sense to only use the weather input, right?
5.  Are there any other considerations I should bring to the attention of my avionics shop?

Thanks so much.
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic